Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 07:13 PM   #1

Mini Split AC?

Just had my main A/C replaced about 8 months ago. Coleman Mach 15.
It is going back to the shop for service.
Wanting to add another A/C for the front, and maybe the Garage.

Curious if there is a system designed for fifth wheel toy haulers.

Want a three zone system, so each part can be controlled.

I see where people have put them on the tongue of a travel trailer, but wondered if the compressor unit can be laid on it's side, as to put it on the roof.

I see they have units that would fit in the roof opening too.

Tried searching forums, but no luck.

I see Class A's have split systems, but no luck finding info.

I have a 40' Keystone Raptor fifth wheel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 09:42 PM   #2

MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #3

Three separate units is the standard solution, separate thermostat or multi zone thermostat keeps them independent. The garage unit should not be tied into any existing duct work, IMO. Running freon lines from a single compressor to 3 coils in an existing RV would be a challenge.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
Three separate units is the standard solution, separate thermostat or multi zone thermostat keeps them independent. The garage unit should not be tied into any existing duct work, IMO. Running freon lines from a single compressor to 3 coils in an existing RV would be a challenge.
If I could mount the compressor on the roof, I could easily run the refrigerant lines to each unit.
If I cant lay the unit on its side, thought about mounting it on the back, just above the garage ramp door. (Location of where a backup camera would be).

Have a 5500W generator, and thought it would support it too.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #5

I'm a firm believer that RV manufacturers should scrap the Norcold/Dometic/Coleman roof mount a/c units in favor of mini-split heat pump systems.

Not only would they be economical to install, but they could do away with especially inefficient RV sheet metal. Most would only require 1 or 2 evaporator heads inside, with 3 evaporators on the larger fifth wheels. A single compressor could be mounted on the rear of the RV--up high.

The better brands of mini-splits are using a variable scroll, extremely high efficiency compressor with an EER of over 22. That's almost twice the efficiency of a home heat pump system. The systems could easily be retro fitted with the plumbing going through existing RV sheet metal.

And another great benefit would be a total RV height decrease of almost 1 foot.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #6

Interesting concept to think about although having serviced commercial multi-fan coil units (FCU) on commercial refrigeration circuits for decades, they’re not all milk and honey either.
Granted multi-speed scrolls would indeed be neater compared to un-loader’s, or staging compressors. Those ductless splits do work well in many locations, but...
How would you bridge the need for say the electrical requirements needed for a max output of a 45K btu condensing unit. 240V 60A. uhh, 15KW generator?
The finned coil area for that tonnage plus it’s weight, say 9 cubic ft. x 275 lbs. min.
Our folded satellite dish, maxair fans, and ladder are just as tall as the Penguin11s. plus their weight is evenly distributed.
With the current quality control of the RV industry integrated refrigeration would be a nightmare for owners. Controls, line sets to get damaged, solenoids, metering devices, liquid receivers, oil return issues... you think you’re getting raped on a Coleman Mach 15? Yeash.
The modular package units also have a redundancy factor. can be used with varied electrical requirements. Can be hot swapped out in less than 2 hrs.
Not saying it's not possible, just thinkin' it through.

Happy motoring.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #7

I have full intentions of doing just that this winter/fall. Too hot now. I intend to mount unit where trailer hitch would be. I am a welder so just build platform for it. One can run 2 separate 110 12k units on 1 15 amp breaker. They are that efficient. The front unit I intent to mount at generator area. Would have to leave door open for air circulation. Doesn't have to go there, just best for my unit. All reports I have read state they cool so much better and heat pump works to 0 degrees. Try that with a standard rv unit. We get 38 and then furnace. They are several in bus conversions. Simpler to install. Nothing but praise by them.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #8

Yeah separate units would be more feasible. One FCU per condensing unit.
Hmm, perhaps you'd paste the link to the specs where they're selling 2 ea. 12,000 btu A/c's that run on a single 110V 15A circuit? Well even 1ea. 12K BTU on 15A would be pretty cool every pun intended. We won't even count the inrush / starting amps required. There's high efficiency and physics then there's folklore.
BTW: an air 2 air heat pump's ability to be effective at lower temperatures has everything to do with the relative humidity of the outside air or it dewpoint. Once the outdoor coil begins to frost over (insulation) the efficiency drops rapidly. Very dry desert air sure you could get down very low. If your dew point is near 40 deg. your HP starts to cough up phlegm. That's why they lock'em out.
A defrost cycle, moves heat outside, reverse efficiency. Those wonderfully inflated SEER ratings don't account for the defrost cycles.... ooooh! hate when that happens.
Our S/B homes have had ground source water 2 air heat pumps using a buried slinky loop filled with water and methanol which would run evaporator temps in the -15 Deg. in the dead of winter. Of course they'd run 24 hrs. a day no defrost ever, but still required supplemental heat.

FWIW: the Mitsubishi and Sanyo's we used to install sure were expensive back in the day. Have they gotten any cheaper?

Peace.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #9

They are not cheap. They can be run with solar though. Also we are paying 250ish monthly for electricity during summer months. And they are very quiet. These factors make them very desirable. For us about 4k dollars. One also could use a 220v unit and use 1 compressor unit with 2 interior units. Would be cheaper install. I want to go to solar later also and like the one 15 amp 110v breaker.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote