Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #1

Smile Missing Converter!!

Good Day,

Going through spring maintenance on our 2000 Newmar Kountry Star 34BKWB and realizing I am unable to find our converter. The battery is in a slideout tray at the rear of the unit with the spare tire, but no converter in site. I have thoroughly checked the entire inside of the rig, kitchen, bath, bedroom and nothing. Looked throughout all of the storage as well. The electrical/fuse panel is located in the bathroom, above the commode and has the breakers and fuses for the 120/12v system. If anyone has any clues, it would certainly be appreciated.

RJ
irvdog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #2

If, your 120v power, circuit breakers and 12v fuse panel, are all together, then the converter/charger is in the back of that assembly.
That's where it was in my 4 , 5th wheels. Should be able to here it hum when you're plugged into shore power.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
May not be right in back of the panel, but should be somewhere close by. Our Montana's is about two feet over under the steps. They do make some noise and that should help you find it.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Your converter is not missing if your electrical is working. If you cant locate it contact a dealer service dept and ask where it is located.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #5

Some are located behind the breaker/fuse panel front cover You have to remove the front cover to get to it.
SLJKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #6

Is your Kountry star a MH???? You may have an inverter/charger all in one. On the new Newmars it is located in the basement between the frame rails. You could always call Newmar, or ask in the Newmar section.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #7

In that vintage Newmar the converter is typically in the front nose compartment. Yes, really. It does not provide for a great charge with that much distance on the wiring. On mine, when I installed an inverter and solar I moved everything into the front compartment.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some places I have found converters:
The back side of the fuse/breaker combined panel is fairly common, Look for the model to be stickered on the door to the fuse/breaker panel IF, that is they are one panel

I have seen them under a bench seat
Mine is in the rear most basement compartment.. The batteries are under the steps in teh front on the other side.. That's a long, long way to run charge power (oh the fuse block and breaker box (two different items) amid-ships).

I've seen them under beds, and .. In cupbords, and cabinets, and.. Well, just about anywhere... it's a game "Hide the converter" I think.

HOW TO FIND... Basically your ears are your friend. on a hot day you may hear the fan. but Look, AND LISTEN, turn on all interior lights first. And look everywhere.

Tags
converter