Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #15

Bigfiver - I have been looking at these and called on the 39' model they had in stock a month ago. I have to say these are the nicest 5th wheels I have seen. The pin weight on the 39' er was 5,640 lbs. I am now looking at MDT's. Also might look at the Ram 5500 and Ford 550's. I currently have a 2012 F-450.

The factory is 4 hrs. from us so a visit to the factory will happen late spring. I am interested in the wall construction and insulation. I kinda soured on DRV and Excel Batt insulation as I do believe it will eventually let loose from the top of the wall.

Thanks for bringing this product to our attention.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #16

tuffr2...."The pin weight on the 39' er was 5,640 lbs. I am now looking at MDT's. Also might look at the Ram 5500 and Ford 550's. I currently have a 2012 F-450"....

With that pin weight, don't overlook a HDT, your wallet will thank you.

Regards
Gemstone

Old 12-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Bigfiver - I have been looking at these and called on the 39' model they had in stock a month ago. I have to say these are the nicest 5th wheels I have seen. The pin weight on the 39' er was 5,640 lbs. I am now looking at MDT's. Also might look at the Ram 5500 and Ford 550's. I currently have a 2012 F-450. The factory is 4 hrs. from us so a visit to the factory will happen late spring. I am interested in the wall construction and insulation. I kinda soured on DRV and Excel Batt insulation as I do believe it will eventually let loose from the top of the wall. Thanks for bringing this product to our attention.
CC's are unapologitically heavy. Our 45ft 6 slide unit is 33k empty and our MDT goes 20mph uphill in the Rockies.

Having said that, they are now building units with aluminum frames to cut down on weight. Since they are a custom company, they will use whatever kind of insulation you spec.

Regarding pricing, you can go as modest or crazy as you wish--again they are a full custom company.

Best wishes on your quest!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstone View Post
tuffr2...."The pin weight on the 39' er was 5,640 lbs. I am now looking at MDT's. Also might look at the Ram 5500 and Ford 550's. I currently have a 2012 F-450".... With that pin weight, don't overlook a HDT, your wallet will thank you. Regards Gemstone
Gemstone is right; an HDT would be the best choice--not only for power, but, more importantly, for braking.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #19

There is nothing wrong with being heavy. I would like to stay in the 37' or 39' model sizes.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #20

I also recommend that you at least LOOK at the flexibility obtained with an HDT. There is info on my website comparing an HDT and MDT. I'm also willing to answer questions via email - address in my website, but also on my profile here (I think). Do not dismiss an HDT until you are fully informed would be my advice.

[ moderator edit ]Either a NH or a CC will be very heavy. I would never consider pulling a 30K coach with any "pickup"-style vehicle. Even the new Dodge - of course that will get knocked out by the rear axle GAWR.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #21

Anyone contemplating pulling 25K-30K fifth with Super(?) pickups (450s, 550s, 5500s) better pick a good Obamacare plan, one with at least two doctors. One to treat your ulcers and the other to prescribe a big dose of Valium for you. And a plan that pays for Depends, to be worn when going down either side of the Rockies.

hjs
Old 12-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #22

DRV 36rssb3

We HAD a 2010 DRV and had nothing but trouble with it. Every time we took it out something else MAJOR went wrong. Went in the shop every time we took it out. Finally had enough and traded it in on a 2012 36M Winnebago motor home. Lost our butt, but was well worth getting rid of it. Would wish that 5th wheel on my worst enemy! Good luck