Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Mobile or Elite Suites

Anyone have either of the above and live in it full time. If so I would love to ask some questions before I make a purchase?

Oscarthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #2

Originally Posted by Oscarthecat View Post
Anyone have either of the above and live in it full time. If so I would love to ask some questions before I make a purchase?
Hi Oscar!!!

Two places that you might want to check are:
Suites Owners International
Both sites have areas that you can ask your prospective owner questions.

Hope this helps!!!

01zeosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Don't have one, but they are very expensive, very nice and very heavy.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Have you been out to the factory? If not it's well worth the trip. We own a 2008 Kountry Aire right now and have been looking into a new one. At this point the Elite Suites is at the top of our list. They have GREAT insulation values and are very well built in my opinion. We would lean towards the Elite Suites because I have a fiberglass roof right and now and really like that over the rubber roof. I also like the straight roof line.

I would not worry about the weight as long as you're planning to go with a MDT or HDT truck. With a bigger truck, the weight will not matter.

Good luck,
2008 Kountry Aire - 2000 Watt inverter, 7.0 Onan, Tandem Dual wheels

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
We have a 2011 MS 36TKSB3 that we full time in. As others above have said, if you haven't been to the factory to see how they are built, call and schedule for a showing. And yes they are heavy, so plan on having a heavy truck.

We find our unit to be comfortable and very roomy for the two of us. Plenty of storage. The only recommendation I would make is be sure to outfit it for the type of weather you will be in. If staying nor†h late in the year, make sure to have the heated tanks added. If you stay in the humid south be sure to have both A/C's put in it. Other than that the unit has great insulation and stays comfortable in extreme conditions. If you have other questions, contact me of line at motorcycle_jack (at) yahoo.com
2008 F-450 King Ranch (mutha hauler)
2011 Mobile Suites 36TKSB3
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Commercial Member
I have a 36TK3 2004 Mobile Suite. We are not full timing at this time. I purchased this unit used in 2008 and love it. We camp as often as posible and pull it with a F350 4X4 Dually 2002 7.3 liter Engine. It is an all seson camper and a full timer unit. Our unit has Three slides and the rear living room set up. It is going on four years that we own it in March. The only expence to date is Four new Tires and one Living room slide topper that I will replace this year. I also had the Cheap Heat System installed in the Gas Heater Unit. I did the install myself. I will put it to the test this Feb. 15 through the 21st. for our Mardi Gras camping trip. I owned two other campers before 1- 1957 17' single axle purchase in 1984, 1- 2004 31' Mobile Scout purchase New in Aprill of 2004. The Mobile Suite was a big step up to the Mobile Scout. Hope to be full timing within the next few years.

Paw John & Maw Maw Krista
Also Ali our 4 year Yellow Lab.
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
thanks for the info, I was considering the Kountry Star and Kountry Aire for my future purchase but I still keep coming back to leaning towards DRV since it will be fulltime living. I am going to a show at the end of Feb, so I may look at the Kountry RV's but I still think I will end up w/ DRV.....I plan to do this mid summer, so all the input I can get is appreciated.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
I tried Suite Owners Int. web forum, and it would not let me register or join because I did not currently own one and did not have a vin# to put in..I even tried contacting their web master via email and never received a response..
Old 02-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
By all means tour the factory! We had that opportunity last summer and really enjoyed the tour. If you are buying new, the VP that conducted our tour had a great tip. You can add options to a Mobile Suite to bring it up to the price and luxury level of an Elite, but it is still a Mobile Suite, which means that when you go to sell it, it won't bring as much as the Elite Suite would have. Going the other way, you can bring an Elite Suite down in price and trim to the Mobile Suite level, but it will still be considered an Elite Suite.

I didn't ask him if he would put that in writing, because we can't afford any of their products. The construction, though, is excellent, and DRV would be my first choice for a 5'er.
David, kb0zke
Mercury Mountaineer towing mpg 181(both sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
I'm confused.. I thought he was looking for info on the DRV Elite Suites or Mobile Suites.. The Kountry Aire & the Kountry Star is a Newmar product... Both NICE rv's we are looking at both of them as well.. (I thnk the Newmar's are a tad heavier.. they have dual wheels mounted on their tandem axles, yup, 8 tires on a Newmar instead of the traditional 4 tires).

I just got my quote today from the dealer on a brand new Newmar Kountry Aire w/ all the bells & whistles.. Just shy of $115K out the door (w/ a generator too).... I don't know if I am ready to dish out that kind of cash? I am leaning on finding a gently used one but there doesn't seem to be any Kountry Aire's around that are gently used.. SO, the next best is to go with the DRV line up.. The Elite Suites is super nice..

Whichever one we finally decide on we will be sure to post it. I suspect we will be getting one sometime this year. (We had better, I am loosing my mind here sitting at home all the time). I need to get out there and do something, go places, before I get to old to do it! haha!

I'm only 48 but have been literaly "knocked into retirement" by a couple of things.. first off I am a disabled vet that tried to go it on his own after getting discharged so I started a trucking company.. Well, I got knocked to the ground by a 6000 lb. wheel loader bucket. It pinned me to the ground breaking 7 ribs and bruising my lung, messing up a already messed up back even more so... It came within inches of putting me in my grave..

Now, I can hear the road calling me... I want to grab the wife and go to all those little highays and by-ways around the country I missed when I drove the big rig..

Look out Yellowstone, Flaming Gorge, Yosemite, Olympic Penulsia of WA., Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills, Banniff Nat Park... ect.. (the list grows!) Here I come as soon as I can!
Scott, Suzanne, & Sheba (German Shepard <long hair)..
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Long Horn, DRW, longbed, 4x4, 4:10rear, pullrite 25.5K hitch.
Shopping for that just right 5th wheel..
-Gonzo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by -Gonzo- View Post
The Elite Suites is super nice..
Yep, but those granite countertops and steps and the other gee-gaws sure are heavy compared to Corian and wood. Check the weights and GVWRs of a Mobile and comparable Elite Suites - you may find that a truck that will handle a Mobile Suites within its ratings is insufficient for an Elite Suites.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Don't forget Excel!
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Not knocking what you want but I'm in the second winter in Michigan in a Keystone Alpine and have had no problems or complaints. A new Alpine will run you just over 45k probably and I think it's agreat deal. If you can get a heat pump it works wonderful down to just below 30 then it automatically switches to the furnace if needed
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
Freightliner Owners Club
I totally know that every manufacturer will have problems. That said, we just traded off a 2010 38TSKB3.
I had way too many problems to list, most of which was due to the suspension. I had the Trail Air Center Point, and the two part Trail Air pin Box.
We had so many things break, that we never had before in any RV, and we have had a few.
Also, 4 refrigerators, Dometic brand, nice looking, piece of trash. Would NOT cool, no matter how many fans it had on it.
The unit was in the factory 6 times in less than two years, to have things repaired that had been shook to the point of destruction.
Brake pads on the disk brake system failed, immediately, chewed up the disks, sure, they replaced all, but what a hassle.
There were just too many issues for us to be comfortable with keeping this past the two year warranty period.
I don't know who got it, they never called to se why such a new unit was traded it, I would have told them, pity.
MS used to be a good product, may still be, but with that suspension it does not have a chance.
If you can get one with Mor-Ryde, it would probably be OK....
Be careful, have fun...
Try this link for some info... May be helpful...

5thWheelForums.com :: View Forum - Select, Mobile, & Elite Suites

Back to a 5'er after 4 yrs fulltime.
Pulling with a '14 2500 ram, 6.4 Hemi.
Montana High Country 31RE
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote