Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
TTS,

Did you use a Magnum BMK to monitor your batteries on the remote display?
I monitor with a Trimetric TM 2025RV and control Magnum with the ME RC which came with the unit.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
I monitor with a Trimetric TM 2025RV and control Magnum with the ME RC which came with the unit.
TTS,

I really like the Trimetric monitor but my hallway wall was starting to get way to cluttered with controls and panels. The Magnum inverter accessories make it very easy to do everything from one panel. I switched out the ME-RC for the ME-ARC remote and added the BMK (battery monitor kit) and ME-AGN (auto genset start). This way I could do everything from one panel and the wife is happy. Since the solar was installed I have not used the QD Onan 7500 much at all. I have the auto genset start set so that if it drops below a pre determined voltage monitored by the BMK the genset starts to charge batteries.

It is really nice setup you have there and having the peace and quiet of a solar system is money well spent IMHO.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a remote controller in the living area for the Magnum. I will attempt to post it here: [IMG]DSCN1060.JPG[/IMG] (Hope that came out ok.)
Didn't work.

The IMG operator will work only with a link to the photo that's posted on the internet. So post the photo somewhere on the internet, look at that photo and right-click on it, then click on "properties", then copy the URL that ends in JPG and post that within the IMG operators. The URL of the post won't work. It has to be the URL that ends in ".jpg" that's in the properties pop-up window.

IRV2.com has a photo area where you can post your photos. Notice the menu bar at the top of this screen that includes a button for "photos". Probably limited to only a few photos unless you paid the big bucks to be a supporting member.

For example, here's a photo of my previous tow vehicle and current cargo trailer posted on TheDieselStop. The first URL has added spaces so it won't work and you can see the code. The second time is the photo that results when I remove those extra spaces:

[img]http ://photos.thedieselstop.com/data/500/20090515_IMG_0094. JPG[/img]

Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Smokey I'll try again. The Magnum remote is the black one and the Trimetric monitor is just below it.

http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...s/DSCN1060.JPG

Well, it didn't turn out as big as I had hoped.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...s/DSCN1060.JPG

Well, it didn't turn out as big as I had hoped.
You made it a clickable link. Works fine as a clickable link, but if you want an image instead of a link, then enclose it in the [img] operators the way you did in your first post above.

And you posted the URL to a thumbnail-size image. If you want a bigger image, then click on the image until it's the size you want before you right-click on it to get the URL.

Ahhhhaaaaaaaaaa! One trick I forgot to mention. When you paste the URL into the reply screen, the system grabs it immediately and converts it into a link. Notice when you edit the post that the URL is enclosed in the [url] operator. The img operator requires a URL, not a link. So to stop that from happening, first post the img operators like this:

[img][/img]

Then put your cursor between the two operators and right click to paste the URL that's in memory into the reply screen.

Now, let's try it with the bigger image:

There! Is that what you were hoping for?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
You made it a clickable link. Works fine as a clickable link, but if you want an image instead of a link, then enclose it in the [img] operators the way you did in your first post above.

And you posted the URL to a thumbnail-size image. If you want a bigger image, then click on the image until it's the size you want before you right-click on it to get the URL.

Ahhhhaaaaaaaaaa! One trick I forgot to mention. When you paste the URL into the reply screen, the system grabs it immediately and converts it into a link. Notice when you edit the post that the URL is enclosed in the [url] operator. The img operator requires a URL, not a link. So to stop that from happening, first post the img operators like this:

[img][/img]

Then put your cursor between the two operators and right click to paste the URL that's in memory into the reply screen.

Now, let's try it with the bigger image:

There! Is that what you were hoping for?
Huh?
Just kidding,
Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #21

Wow, that's awesome. I guess the propane disconnect is for portable propane heater? It looks like you installed the Inverter just forward and above the battery box. That was my first thought. How many? What size? What Manufacturer? Are your panels? What type batteries did you go with? What's the installers name and number in Roundup? I'm planning to do the inverter and all related parts and pieces today and tomorrow and then the panels this summer. Marv Braun is going to do phase 1 of the installation. This rig is definitely and upgrade in every way from our Arctic Fox and tows a lot nicer! Thank you so much and I hope to meet along the way!
Jeff and Ly n
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff426 View Post
Wow, that's awesome. I guess the propane disconnect is for portable propane heater? It looks like you installed the Inverter just forward and above the battery box. That was my first thought. How many? What size? What Manufacturer? Are your panels? What type batteries did you go with? What's the installers name and number in Roundup? I'm planning to do the inverter and all related parts and pieces today and tomorrow and then the panels this summer. Marv Braun is going to do phase 1 of the installation. This rig is definitely and upgrade in every way from our Arctic Fox and tows a lot nicer! Thank you so much and I hope to meet along the way!
Jeff and Ly n
The guy in Roundup is Handy Bob and here is his web site:
HandyBob's Blog « Making off grid RV electrical systems work

I read and understood his instructions before installing mine and have a great system. A majority of systems installed by "Pros" are not as good as they should be. I have 4 Trojan T 105 6v wired for 12v. My inverter is a Magnum MS 2012. I'm sure Excel has a couple of solar wires to the roof from the bay area. That will make the install on the panels a lot easier.

Enjoy your rig,
Gary
Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

[img][/img]

Back to class.

That's one way. Another way is to write your reply (or post) using a pure ASCII editor such as Microsoft Notepad, instead of using the funky editor built into the website. An ASCII editor doesn't have any of those "helpful" capabilities that automatically turns a url into a link, so there's no need to play games when posting an image into your post on IRV2. After you get the words and code right, then copy and paste the words from Notepad into the reply screen on the website.

That way you can write the normal way by first typing [img] then by pasting the url of the image, then finish with [/img]. Or maybe paste the url into the note, then add the img operators before and after the url. And after you paste the narrative into the IRV2 editor screen, you can still preview your post in the IRV2 editor to be sure the image shows up correctly and that there are no other errors or typos in the post.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #24

We just finished the installation of the MS2000 and the trimetric 2025 monitor yesterday so we will monitor for the next 2 weeks as we decide how much solar to put up. We're thinking 600 -750 watts but could be 900. This is going be just fantastic. Probably do the solar in the next 4 weeks. Did you change the size of your propane tanks to the 40lb? What are the fumes like on that Olympian Wave heater. Awesome pics and thanks for that.
Jeff
Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
We just finished the installation of the MS2000 and the trimetric 2025 monitor yesterday so we will monitor for the next 2 weeks as we decide how much solar to put up. We're thinking 600 -750 watts but could be 900. This is going be just fantastic. Probably do the solar in the next 4 weeks. Did you change the size of your propane tanks to the 40lb? What are the fumes like on that Olympian Wave heater. Awesome pics and thanks for that.
Jeff
Jeff, what controller are you using and how many batteries. The MS2012 installations I have seen are usually matched with either 3 or 4-140w ish panels and 4 batteries. What all are you planning to run? The inverter is good for only 2000w and you are talking 900 amp/hrs of battery capacity. A mismatch in my opinion. I have 450 amp/hrs in mine and it is plenty for our needs which include watching tv at night, running lighting, charging our stuff, toaster in morning and hair dryer, microwave for no more than 30 secs at a time. Also, the solar wire they normally run in Excels to the roof is only 6 to 8 gauge and that would be way to small for higher wattages.
I would advise reading and understanding Handy Bob's blog before continuing. I had to read it several times. It's called "The Battery Charging Puzzle".
I like the smaller panels because of camping in the desert in the winter. Sometimes those dust storms can generate us to 60-70 mph winds and come up quickly. If tilted I don't know how well 200w panels , with their surface area, would handle it.
I still carry the same size propane tanks. The Olympian uses only about 1/2 or less the propane of the furnace and no power. My Excel came with a co2 detector above the bed and I added another to the rear wall of the 5er. That plus opening a couple of vents and you are good to go.
I know you are excited about your new rig as am I and wife loves it.

Good Luck,
Gary Lewis

PS My e-mail is : garlew48@msn.com if you need anything.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Can you post pictures of your battery and inverter install?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #27

Hey Gary,
The Inverter and monitor are installed and we are now in the process of testing our usage before we install panels and controller which will happen in 4 weeks. I think we will use the Tristar 60amp contoller though and I'm probably going with 750 watts of panel. Marv mounted the monitors between the coat closet and counter which puts it all dead above the original breaker panel, then we agreed that the sub panel access would be in the coat closet for better accessibility. That worked out very well! I really liked the quick connect you put next to the vaccum for the gas heater. Lynn and I are moving the modification up the list. That was very cool!
We are so far both very pleased and are running around the country testing everything out. Talk to you soon, I'll try to figure out how to post pictures. Oh, you asked about batteries, I have 4 - 6 volt about 450amp hours of storage, I will let these run their course and maybe consider some AGM's, maybe not. I have also considered repositioning the batteries up forward and low in the generator room. There is a lot of usable space up there but it must be slightly redesigned.
Talk again soon, awesome job, Gary

Jeff
Old 02-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Gary,
The Inverter and monitor are installed and we are now in the process of testing our usage before we install panels and controller which will happen in 4 weeks. I think we will use the Tristar 60amp contoller though and I'm probably going with 750 watts of panel. Marv mounted the monitors between the coat closet and counter which puts it all dead above the original breaker panel, then we agreed that the sub panel access would be in the coat closet for better accessibility. That worked out very well! I really liked the quick connect you put next to the vaccum for the gas heater. Lynn and I are moving the modification up the list. That was very cool!
We are so far both very pleased and are running around the country testing everything out. Talk to you soon, I'll try to figure out how to post pictures. Oh, you asked about batteries, I have 4 - 6 volt about 450amp hours of storage, I will let these run their course and maybe consider some AGM's, maybe not. I have also considered repositioning the batteries up forward and low in the generator room. There is a lot of usable space up there but it must be slightly redesigned.
Talk again soon, awesome job, Gary

Jeff
They have a battery acid absorbtion mat that that I read about and put in while rewiring my batteries. It had good reviews. I am always fighting corrosion in my battery area. The mat comes sized that will just fit in my compartment under the 4 batteries and even fold ups on the ends.

Tags
excel