Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #1

Hey guys,

I was messing around yesterday and decided to replace the stereo system in the camper. I bought some new speakers and a nice Kentwood car stereo to swap out the old monster. When I was removing the speakers in the ceiling in the living room I could feel moisture in the insulation between the ceiling and the roof. So I decided to check the speakers in the bedroom and found the same thing. Not really soaked, but damp and very warm. It was sunny and hot outside yesterday but could that have caused the dampness? Could it be humidity due to the heat? Do TTs have some sort of vents for this area? I looked all around the outside of mine and didn't see any vents.

Just a little concerned and looking for some answers. Thanks!

2002 KZ Sportmans 2703P
Jeff from Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #2

Hey guys,

I was messing around yesterday and decided to replace the stereo system in the camper. I bought some new speakers and a nice Kentwood car stereo to swap out the old monster. When I was removing the speakers in the ceiling in the living room I could feel moisture in the insulation between the ceiling and the roof. So I decided to check the speakers in the bedroom and found the same thing. Not really soaked, but damp and very warm. It was sunny and hot outside yesterday but could that have caused the dampness? Could it be humidity due to the heat? Do TTs have some sort of vents for this area? I looked all around the outside of mine and didn't see any vents.

Just a little concerned and looking for some answers. Thanks!

2002 KZ Sportmans 2703P
Old 07-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Most trailer manufacturers will construct with a vented air space between the roof and the insulation similar to how a house is made but on a much smaller scale. It needs some air in there to prevent condensation and then the ensuing mold and wood rot. My vents are on the roof.

Your's must have some ventilation, it'd be irresponsible manufacturing to not build it that way.

Maybe you have a small leak?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #4

Hello Richard,

I haven't climbed up on the roof to check yet, but you're probably right. I'm wondering if, since it was a hot muggy day without a lot of breeze, some moisture might have built up in that area. I checked the whole roof inside and didn't find any water damage. I'll have to climb up there tonight to see about the vents. Any idea what they look like? We have a lot of bees and I'm hoping if there are vents up there, they didn't get clogged by the insects. Thanks again!

2002 KZ Sportmans 2703P
Old 07-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Mine are small upside down bowl shaped covers about 4" in diameter mounted over the vent tube. They ride about 2 or 3 inches above the roof surface. There are three or four of them spaced along the length of the trailer.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #6

Thanks again Richard,

I'll check it out when I get home from work and keep my fingers crossed. I would really hate to have to replace or re-seal the rubber roof.

Jeff

2002 KZ Sportmans 2703P
Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #7

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...bing-vents.htm

These are the types that are on top of my 5-er, they seem to do a very decent job. Easy to install post construction.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Yep, those are what mine look like. But I think it'd be a real challange to install roof vents if the manufacturer didn't put any in.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:39 AM   #9

Hey Guys,

I finally got a chance to climb up on the roof. I found two vents like the ones in the link from Frank. One problem, one of the caps was missing completely! I'm really hoping that this wasn't letting rain or other moisture into my ceiling area. I plan on getting a new one today to install as we are scheduled to have rain almost all weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed as I haven't seen any moisture damage yet. Thanks for the help!

Jeff

2002 KZ Sportmans 2703P
Old 07-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Jeff:

You only saw two vents? I would have to think what you're seeing are the vent stacks for your holding tanks (one for the black tank, one for the grey), and not something for ventilating the area between your roof and ceiling.

A vent stack is necessary so that air can escape (or enter) the tank as it fills (or empties).

Your fresh water tank has a vent too. However, it's not vented through the roof. It's either vented at the water filler or the overflow tube (that exits through the floor) serves as the vent.

I scrub my roof once or twice a year so I know what's up there. The only vents protruding through my roof (excluding the skylights and A/C unit) are the two vent stacks (mentioned previously) and the vent for the refrigerator. There are no other vents on my roof.

I don't claim to be an expert in RV costruction but if a manufacturer is actually using an RV plumbing vent for ventilating the area between roof and ceiling, I can't see how several two inch holes could be very effective at doing the job unless there was something (like a fan) to create airflow. There would also be some water coming down the vent, especially while underway in the rain. Water would get blown into the vent by the near hurricane force winds whether the cover's present or not.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #11

My guess is your moisture is condensation from cooking, showering, and moisture from you and your family occupying your rig. It's a good idea to leave a vent "cracked" while using your trailer to allow the moisture to get out. We usually leave the one in the bathroom open an inch or two, summer and winter.

We've had five trailers in 14 years but none of them had vents specifically for venting the "attic area" of the roof....
Old 07-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #12

I think you're right Frank. The only two vents on my roof are to the back of the rig, close to or right over the bathroom. I replaced the missing cap yesterday and it just looked like a rubber tube going straight down . I didn't see any thing to suggest it vented the area between the roof and ceiling.

I left the new speakers out of the ceiling to see if the moisture would stay or disipate. We've had a cool spell the last day and it seems to be much dryer up there now. I think because the rig was closed up tight, and it was hot and humid, some condensation formed because of the insulation and the whole heat rises thing.

I'm going to take Lee's suggestion and leave a vent cracked for some air flow. I only worry about the insects. I really need to pick up some Maxx Air Vent covers. Maybe I can crack a window or two instead. Ok, I'm rambling now. Time to step away from the computer.

Thanks for all the help guys. This site never ceases to amaze me with the great knowledge.

Jeff

2002 KZ Sportmans 2703P
Old 07-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #13

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Jeff:

Maxx/Air covers are a good investment because they allow you to leave the vents open all the time. About the only time I close my vents is when I have the A/C on, it's too cold outside (and even then, I try to leave them open a little to remove moisture), or when I store the TT underground for the winter.

Actually, I have a Maxx/Air cover on the front vent in the bedroom and a Turbo/Maxx on the vent in the bathroom. Running the Turbo/Maxx on exhaust draws quite a bit of air through the TT; almost like an attic fan in a home. Mine has a thermostat on it so I can set it to turn off once the air inside the TT gets cool enough. We rarely use the A/C.

You can get the Maxx/Air covers from RV Upgrades.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote