Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2005, 04:58 AM   #1

Last winter a wine bottle and a hot sauce bottle exploded in two separate cabinets in my camper. This weekend I noticed mold on the outsides of each cabinet. I cleaned with bleach water. What can I put on to protect the mold from coming back? I think the mold is embedded in the wood on the inside of the cabinet. I had heard about Killz, but it comes out white and then I would have to repaint the cabinets. I am trying to avoid that if at all possible. TIA

Matthew
Ernhrts3n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2005, 04:58 AM   #2

Last winter a wine bottle and a hot sauce bottle exploded in two separate cabinets in my camper. This weekend I noticed mold on the outsides of each cabinet. I cleaned with bleach water. What can I put on to protect the mold from coming back? I think the mold is embedded in the wood on the inside of the cabinet. I had heard about Killz, but it comes out white and then I would have to repaint the cabinets. I am trying to avoid that if at all possible. TIA

Matthew
Old 10-03-2005, 07:17 AM   #3

Don't use KILZ for this. KILZ does not kilz mold, it only seals the surface so mold does not bleed thru the new paint.

Mold needs food and darkness to grow. Clean the areas again with a bleach solution. Allow to completely dry. Keep the doors open to the cabinets and allow some air flow into the cabinets. You might even put a dehumidifier in the coach for three days with a fan blowing air into the open cabinets - - this allows them to completely dry out. Keep the doors open and allow a small flow of air thru the trailer at all times if possible. If not, put a closet moisture absorber in the cabinet and close. You will have to empty it every couple of weeks. You could go to a local commercial janitorial supply house and obtain a commercial anti-fungicide and use as directed.

Good luck,
Bob
Old 10-04-2005, 08:53 AM   #4

Thanks Bob, I will try it. My only concern is when we close up for the season and the camper will be sitting all winter long with no one going to check on it. How can I get to the mold that must be imbedded into the wood? Should I spray with bleach water and let sit for a while before cleaning it? I know these questions sound stupid, but I have never dealt with mold before. TIA

Matthew
Old 10-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I am not sure if it will help your problem but we keep a dehumidifier in our fiver when it is parked here. I got one at Lowe's for a little over $100.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:51 AM   #6

I had tried a dehumidified before and it sucked the moisture out of the toilet and boy what a smell! I will never do that again...lol. Also the camper stays at a campground all winter with no electric available in the winter.

Matthew
Old 10-05-2005, 06:39 AM   #7

I bought a bag of silica gel to pack with my cast iron (in a warehouse). I bought it at Hobby Lobby but it should be available at any hobby store, often used to dry flowers. You dry it out in the oven when it has absorbed all the moisture. It's odourless, fairly cheap and reuseable. I've got the rest of my bag saved. I will most likely sew up little sachets and tuck into my RV clothes closets/drawers/storage containers. But that would require my sewing machine which is in storage!

After you spray with a bleach solution, leave cabinet doors open to dry thoroughly. If no rain let dry at least a week (longer if it rains). Place a pan of the silica in the cabinet and close door. Check on it monthly to see how much moisture it absorbs. You may want to keep a little in an air tight jar or ziplock plastic bag to use as a comparison.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote