Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #15

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
All excellent advice.

When we came to our PDI and delivery appointment, first thing the dealer wanted was to get our money. We said not until the PDI was complete. Grudgingly, since he had no real choice, he agreed. I had a 15 page PDI. We had arrived around 1 p.m. and were only about half done at closing time. Dealer says let's do the closing. We said, nope, we'll be back in the morning to finish the PDI. Another four hours the next day and everything was completed to our satisfaction at which time the dealer got his money. I don't believe anyone ever had an eight hour PDI at that dealership nor withheld payment until PDI completion. Until he met us.

In short, No money beyond the deposit and no close until the PDI is complete.

Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 04:38 AM   #16
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I only asked to have my trailer hooked up to power, water in the fresh tank and 45 to 60 minutes of inspection time. And still the shop manager was talking under his breath....say this guy thinks he's buying a million $$ rig....

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:57 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have bought a used TT from a dealer to place on a permanent site. The dealer emphasized that he wanted me to well go over the coach. When I showed up for the PDI they had it connected and air running. I spent a couple three hours going over everything. Had some questions which were readily answered and couple issues were found. They had a tech come and resolved the issues right there and then. Once I was satisfied we finalized the paperwork and I remitted payment in full. They were delivering and setting up the TT on my site as part of the deal. That happened later that same day.

Overall a very positive experience. Unfortunately this does not appear to be the norm...
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:07 AM   #18
Just before Thanksgiving I bought a used 07 Holiday Rambler Presidential
Suite 5'er, an as is deal. I searched and found it at a dealer 25 miles away. I've owned two old MH's in the past so I had some idea for what to inspect. Like others have indicated it's for the most part buyer be ware. The sales person was somewhat helpful answering questions and he demonstrated all the appliances. The unit is winterized right now and will be used full time and parked in a CG.
The price was quite reasonable comparing it to others I found. There are up's and down's buying used,,,, on the plus side the previous owners add equipment to make units comfortable, if taken care of everything will function as intended. On the down side the equipment is used and at one point requiring replacement. If any equipment requires replacement hopefully it's one at a time so your pocketbook doesn't get hammered all at once.
So far my replacement list only includes the carpeting,a normal wear and tear item. Have gone thru several torrential rain storms and inside is bone dry.
When doing the paperwork it was after I did a walk-thru inspection,but based on the information folks have provided above I might have been more cautious. I can appreciate if your spending $2 hundred K you want everything in tip top shape.

clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #19
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Even after the purchase (new unit), one can expect to do some fixes / adjustments you might have missed. Like bracket covering low point drain or Bed bunk pole holders installed back-wards... That one was a head scratch-er, till I looked on the other bunk end (hybrid trailer) to see the correct way they should have been screwed in....
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #20
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
My experiences have been dealer doesn't do ANYTHING prior to your PDI.

When we purchased our current 5th wheel we made an appointment for our PDI.
Told them we wanted ac power connected, batteries full charged, water hooked up and propane cylinders filled prior to our PDI

Then we spent 4 hours checking systems, inspecting rig and making a 'hit list' of items that needed fixed. Which we had a video camera at that time but we did take pictures.

We then handed over a copy of hit list and made arrangements to reinspect, do the paper work and pick it up.

Other than the original $500 deposit no monies or finalized paperwork until AFTER PDI and repairs made.

Otherwise they could keep the rig.

My money.......my way
I have no bones about walking out. Way too many dealers, way too many RVs.
Spot on. That's pretty much exactly they way we're going to do it when we get our next and last trailer. Too many buyers come on these sites and complain about things that could've been fixed before purchase. Or worse yet they come on and complain about some form of function like a noisy AC or lack of plug ins etc. Another thing I may add is that not all trailers are equal. If one trailer has some QC issues then move on and look for one that doesn't. That's why you get some owners praising theirs and others condemning theirs.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #21
Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I bought my trailer last year at Apache Camping Center in Portland, it was $500 deposit, the rest of the money after PDI. There was never any notion from either one of us (buyer or seller) to do it any other way.

And I wouldn't. The salesman or accounting department might have some kind of incentive to get your money by the end of the month, but that just isn't your problem.

Home inspections take place before closing, because that is the right time to negotiate over the repairs, or if no repairs are offered, an adjustment of the final sales price. If it works in real estate, it should work here, too.
ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #22
Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Well, a different opinion. I just purchased my 2nd from same dealer. Because I had some warranty issues on the first one, and they took care of them quickly without issue, I had no problem doing a two hour PDI, making my list and signing papers prior to all items resolved. I knew full well I will need to bring it back to have some items replaced that have to be ordered. It is noted on the 'We owe you' sheet.

This also gives me an opportunity to do some further system checking. I also found seals needing repaired that I will just have them add to the list when I take it in for the noted repairs.
Mike and Susan
2015 Columbus 320RS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4
MSD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #23
Originally Posted by MSD81 View Post
Well, a different opinion. I just purchased my 2nd from same dealer. Because I had some warranty issues on the first one, and they took care of them quickly without issue, I had no problem doing a two hour PDI, making my list and signing papers prior to all items resolved
Oh, I'm not saying I wouldn't close the deal at all. I agree with you that some minor stuff that needs fixing could be put off for a while, while using the RV some.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #24

No way would I make payment before the PDI!
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #25
In the history of man-kind, there has never been a RV ($5,000 to $,500,000) that has not had any issues found during the PDI.
but of course that is due to the prime directive of RV manufacturers - Never produce a unit with no quality control issues.

you forgot the corollary - In the history of man-kind, there has never been a RV ($5,000 to $,500,000) that has all the PDI issues fixed on the first attempt.
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #26
As other have said, just the down payment before PDI. In our case the PDI actually saved us some money in the long haul! There were only 6 items that we had on our list after the PDI, and the dealer said they would be all corrected within 3 days which was fine with us.

In the meantime the dealers finance department who was handling our financing for the trailer kept calling and saying we needed more and more money when we would pick up the trailer and close the deal. So after the last call while the PDI items were being corrected, we went out and found our own financing with less down and a lower interest rate. We think it kinda shocked the dealer when we said we would have a check in hand when we pick it up and didn't need their financing! Probably lost out on some profit there.

In this case, if they had went through the trailer more thoroughly during their PDI, we would have not needed anything fixed and would have used their financing.

donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote