Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #1

Montana questions?

We recently bought a 2012 Keystone Montana to live in while we build a house. We're pretty familiar with RV's, having owned three big diesel pusher motorhomes, and a fifth-wheel toyhauler.

The Montana seems to be a very nice, well built unit.

Questions:
  • It has a fairly small water capacity; 66 gallons. I'm filling it every two or three days, and running off the 12V pump system. When filling, (in the valve "fill" position) the water pump runs. Normal?
  • It has two roof A/C units. The front is A/C only, the rear has either a heat pump or heat strip. It comes on until it gets cold enough to switch the propane furnace on. Does that sound correct?
  • Water heater is gas or electric. I've been running it on electric. We just had a 500 gallon propane tank delivered. Would it be more efficient to run it off propane?
  • It supposedly has a hidden safe. Hidden well enough I haven't seen it. Any clues?
  • For prolonged parking, should we operate the slides or hydraulic levelers occasionally?
Thanks,

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0392.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	124739  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #2

1) no, it shouldn't run. Why run off the pump instead of the city connectiion?
2) no idea. Mine has only 1 AC
3) recovery will be quicker on propane, if that's an issue.
4) no

Roy

Old 04-20-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

HW

my keystone outback water heater does better on propane, turn on when needed.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
This IS normal if you leave the pump on while filling with 'city' water. If you're running on city water normally, just leave the pump turned off. Otherwise, turn it off when filling. It's because of the way it's plumbed.

Yes. Don't you have a fireplace? It's a heater as well. Otherwise, you might get a little ceramic one and run it.

You can run it on both. Propane will give you quick recovery and electric will maintain temps.

Those are a joke. It may be under the bed. There's also a hidden compartment that varies according to model, but is still a joke.

Don't need to, but you should lubricate the exposed track & gears with silicone every couple of months.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
We recently bought a 2012 Keystone Montana to live in while we build a house. We're pretty familiar with RV's, having owned three big diesel pusher motorhomes, and a fifth-wheel toyhauler.

The Montana seems to be a very nice, well built unit.

Questions:
  • It has a fairly small water capacity; 66 gallons. I'm filling it every two or three days, and running off the 12V pump system. When filling, (in the valve "fill" position) the water pump runs. Normal?
  • It has two roof A/C units. The front is A/C only, the rear has either a heat pump or heat strip. It comes on until it gets cold enough to switch the propane furnace on. Does that sound correct?
  • Water heater is gas or electric. I've been running it on electric. We just had a 500 gallon propane tank delivered. Would it be more efficient to run it off propane?
  • It supposedly has a hidden safe. Hidden well enough I haven't seen it. Any clues?
  • For prolonged parking, should we operate the slides or hydraulic levelers occasionally?
Thanks,

Ed
Our last rig was a 2012 Alpine by Keystone - very similar to your Montana. Like another poster said, if you have access to a water source, why use the tank & pump?
Your rear A/C unit is a heat pump, operation you describe sounds normal.
I always run the water heater on AC & gas. Gas only kicks on when hot water is in high demand, like for showers. If your AC service is low amperage, use gas only.
Your hidden safe may be in the front closet.
I don't think you need to worry about occasional operation of your slides. We left ours out for months at a time while wintering in AZ with no issues.

Happy trails,
Bill
Old 04-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

Ok, thanks. Good stuff!

The well on our property is pretty basic, it seems to have a pressure switch so I could probably leave it on all the time and not fill the RV tank.

We do have the artificial "fireplace", and it does a nice job of taking the chill off the living area. The HVAC system seems like a good setup, as it heats some without running the furnace.

I've been sorting out the electronic thermostat: this morning it was blowing hot out of the floor registers and cold out of the ceiling ducts. That got me thinking something wasn't adjusted quite right... Think it's all reset now.

Will run the water heater on both sources from now on.

Thanks again, this is a great resource...
Old 04-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #7

Make sure you have a water pressure valve somewhere between the well spigot and the 5er. I like to put one on right at the water connection. Cheap insurance.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #8

On our cougar, if the wall thermostat is set on auto fan with the furnace, the AC fan also blows. Just set the fan on low or high to make that stop.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:42 PM   #9

I think we had a hidden safe at the top stair going to the bedroom.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #10

Our "safe" is in the floor of the front closet covered with a piece of carpet. It is nothing more than a metal box with a hasp for placing a padlock on lit--and if you use a padlock, it is no longer "hidden." If you really value it, take it with you...
Living in the trailer, you can/should use the city water connection for the well--no need to have the pump on at all. A pressure regulator as mentioned is a good item to use.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Good questionhw, what did the Keystone dealer tell you?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #12

If you have the well connnected by hose to the trailer, there should be a gauge at the pressure tank (if yours is so equipped) to check the pressure--be sure it is under about 60 psi. You are correct, the well pump senses when you open a tap and kicks on to supply constant water supply.
Also, don't leave the supply valve open to the water hose when you leave the property--if a leak develops in the trailer, the pump will just run trying to regain pressure.
Having an RV to stay in at the home site is a great way to keep up with what is going on and catch mistakes before they become major redos.

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana