Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #1
IC2

MORryde CRE/3000 vs Dexter E-Z Flex

I'm changing the springs out for higher capacity pieces as the existing have flattened some after about 18,000 miles. The 5er has a MORryde CRE/3000 suspension that seems to be creaking and rattling and probably should be replaced at the same time. The two suspensions appear to use the same brackets though other MORryde suspensions need different brackets. I used the Dexter on an earlier 5er but that was a change over from a solid equalizer.

Has anyone replaced a MORryde with an E-Z Flex? Comments about ride? Assembly problems ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 10:23 PM   #2

I put moryde. 4000 has 4 " travel and works well. Comes with a crossmember to help with flex.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #3

Get the shackle kit also. Much beefier then stock and greasable bushings.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:02 AM   #4
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I put moryde. 4000 has 4 " travel and works well. Comes with a crossmember to help with flex.
Thanks. I'm trying to get away from that additional travel and smooth out the bounce/rebounds, especially at bridges. There have been several on this just completed where it almost felt as though all four wheels left the ground.

I already have three of their X-Factor cross members for the hanger brackets along with their wet bolt kit. These work well.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:48 AM   #5

I upgrade to Morryde Independent Suspension. It's hard to believe the improvement in the ride

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #6

We have the E-Z flex on our RV and it has fittings to grease the pivot points

I'm not sure if just changing the equalizers will make much of a difference in what you are trying to eliminate.

If you have upgraded your tires to a higher load range or a stiffer sidewall can cause a harsher ride. We have LR H tires and are now experimenting with pressures to reduce the stiff ride they have

The pin box and hitch can cause problems. The tow vehicles suspension can cause problems. Shock transfers from the truck through the hitch to the RV.

The Truck and RV when coupled are now a single unit. One affects the other. One needs to look at the whole package in ride problem situations. JMHO.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #7
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrsandman View Post
We have the E-Z flex on our RV and it has fittings to grease the pivot points

I'm not sure if just changing the equalizers will make much of a difference in what you are trying to eliminate.

If you have upgraded your tires to a higher load range or a stiffer sidewall can cause a harsher ride. We have LR H tires and are now experimenting with pressures to reduce the stiff ride they have

The pin box and hitch can cause problems. The tow vehicles suspension can cause problems. Shock transfers from the truck through the hitch to the RV.

The Truck and RV when coupled are now a single unit. One affects the other. One needs to look at the whole package in ride problem situations. JMHO.
OK, you hit on at least part of what I'm trying to do with our fiver.

First of all, yes, I have changed tires from the 'Blow-Max' Chinese tires to a good US made LT and of course this changed the sidewall stiffness though either, identical size, inflated to 80 psig should be only minimally different in straight line driving.

As far as hitch, standard Ford 5er puck system with a B&W. The pin box is a standard Lippert as supplied by Keystone. I would love to have a Trail Air or other but so far don't completely see the need for it on this 5er - yet, anyhow. Time will tell

The truck has a pretty stiff suspension - it's an F250 but it has the full F350 suspension less the 4" axle block - and while those bridges will bounce it once, the 5er will bounce 2 or more times, rebounding either via the springs or the MORryde. My intent is to install new springs (ordered) with an additional leaf. While apart, I can either rebuild or install a replacement CRE/3000 or another suspension system though I really don't want to get into center hanger replacement and welding on a Lippert frame which brings up the Dexter E-Z Flex.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #8

I removed the ezflex and installed the Centerpoint air ride with easy rider shocks. Made a world of difference to the ride. Half the price of the MorRyde IS with as good a ride
Old 10-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #9

I added EZ- Flex but the biggest ride improvement for the trailer came from adding the Lippert Shock Kit. You can now see the 5vr rides much smoother over various road defects. It made no observable difference in the ride of the truck when towing but clearly has kept things calmer inside the trailer. Won't stiffer springs reduce bounce but transfer more of that energy directly to the trailer frame?
Old 10-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyl53 View Post
--------------

Won't stiffer springs reduce bounce but transfer more of that energy directly to the trailer frame?
Yes it will to a point but since this 5er was supplied with 5200 pound suspension on a 38 foot, 12,000 unit and is IMO, too light duty, including wallowing a bit too much on poor roads for the way we use it. It is also getting 6000 bearings and hubs plus disc brakes to complete the changeover.

The shock kit may also be on the horizon