Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 05:49 AM   #1

MorRyde IS Service Experience

We have an appointment today to have risers installed on our IS, as we are always towing nose high and super low in the back. Before we started, I threw the BW Gooseneck ball in the truck, as it has alot more height than the Curt I have been running. Wow, combined with the Goosebox, I've got a ton of bed clearance!

With that being said, that gave me almost 4 inches of height difference front to back, so definitely need to bring it up a bit.

Initial inspection says that two of the rubber bushings/shocks are partially torn - see other thread about leaning. Looks like we will be going with a sturdier bushing and a 4 inch riser. They'll be putting the bushings in on the lower mounting holes vice the current high rise ones I'm in.

I'll be right at 13'6" when all is said and done, which is a little bit higher than I had expected. I'm opting for the extra height for additional maneuverability and bed clearance.

Other things - my rep recommended new brake discs, as I'm halfway thru them. I'm going to have them replaced, as there's no labor charge on that.

He also wanted to know if I want to go from my Timken Oil Bath bearings to traditional bearings......Nope, I don't think so.

Backing into the garage bay - ugh! You guys that store these things in enclosed storage must be pros at backing!
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
KJD

He also wanted to know if I want to go from my Timken Oil Bath bearings to traditional bearings......Nope, I don't think so.

Curious as to why you didn't let them go with the oil bath bearings? Look at the over the road trailers and every single on of them will have the oil bath bearings on them.
There has to be a reason companies prefer them over the packing with grease ones.....
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD View Post

Curious as to why you didn't let them go with the oil bath bearings? Look at the over the road trailers and every single on of them will have the oil bath bearings on them.
There has to be a reason companies prefer them over the packing with grease ones.....
I have oil bath, he wanted to change me back to grease packed. I think it was just an effort to pull more money out of my wallet!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #4

My trailer is at 13'6" and level. Stock suspension and Curt GN ball. I liked the B&W ball and safety chain loops setup you showed earlier so much that I ordered one for myself. Now I have to raise my GooseBox in order to return to 13'6".
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
My trailer is at 13'6" and level. Stock suspension and Curt GN ball. I liked the B&W ball and safety chain loops setup you showed earlier so much that I ordered one for myself. Now I have to raise my GooseBox in order to return to 13'6".
Nice - I'm hoping to be right at 13'6", but may end up an inch over. Have to see how much the new suspension settles once installed. I'll tell ya, I love the amount of bed clearance I'm getting out of this!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Once you go over 13'6" you're going to be hitting a lot of overpasses. Traveling these last couple years I've seen hundreds at that height. Don't assume the unmarked ones are higher. Good luck!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #7

And, you might be in to adding 1 more outside step......I went the other way.....lowered the truck....and not affected more by the wind.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #8

If need be, I can adjust the Goosebox, as DJNC mentioned. The goal right now is to hit 13'6" with the suspension and be done though.

As far as stairs go, I've got the Glowstep Revolution with four steps, so I'm good there.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #9

Good deal on the steps....I've got 'em too...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #10

They're good steps - we demo them pretty frequently for neighbors.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #11

“ Before we started, I threw the BW Gooseneck ball in the truck, as it has alot more height than the Curt “

Do you have the Ford prep package? Does the BW Gooseneck ball fit in the factory prep package?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpica15 View Post
“ Before we started, I threw the BW Gooseneck ball in the truck, as it has alot more height than the Curt “

Do you have the Ford prep package? Does the BW Gooseneck ball fit in the factory prep package?
I do have the factory prep, and the BW ball drops right in. If you look in the threat "Goosebox on it's way", I posted a comparison between the BW and Curt balls.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:47 AM   #13

When we put 8k axles/suspension on our 5th, it raised height to 13 6, as well. To me, RV feels more top heavy now, and I get anxious on roads or embankments that lean to one side, as I feel like we are just going to roll over. DW says its in my head. Havent rolled it yet.

BTW why have Glowsteps too, had to add 1 step afterwards
Old 05-23-2018, 06:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
When we put 8k axles/suspension on our 5th, it raised height to 13 6, as well. To me, RV feels more top heavy now, and I get anxious on roads or embankments that lean to one side, as I feel like we are just going to roll over. DW says its in my head. Havent rolled it yet.

BTW why have Glowsteps too, had to add 1 step afterwards
We ended up at 13'4", which gives lot's of clearance for us on the rear and the truck bed.

Ended up getting all new rubber bushings (30 density), new brake calipers/pads, and one new brake rotor in addition to the riser. We were just out of warranty on the bushings, and they didn't charge for them, and gave me a good price on the brake hardware. Apparently our rubber seals on the pistons were showing some signs of age, so they replace the whole assembly.

Ride is great, braking is much improved - more predictable and steady, less delay before coming on strong.

With that being said, it is dogtracking, so I'll be going back soon to see what the deal is. I took it over to Amish Family RV last night to get some work done, and he just happened to follow me for the last couple miles to his shop - the first thing he said was "That thing is dog tracking like crazy, you need to get it fixed!"

Ugh. So, we'll be back a MorRyde to see what the deal is.

Tags
service