Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #1

MORryde Step Above Steps

Has anyone been looking at the MORryde Step Above entry steps?

I've never liked the traditional steps as they flex a lot and our large dogs don't like using them since there are no risers between the steps. Although these new steps don't have risers it looks like they could easily be added.

I'm hoping that Keystone add this to the Alpine line soon but if not it's nice to know they can be easily retrofitted.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #2

This was being discussed on another forum, and the question was raised: If the steps are wet, dirty or both--where does the water and dirt go when folded in?
Granted, haven't seen much mud on my current fold-in steps...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:43 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Personally I like these better, but haven't owned the MORryde steps so not a fair comparison. The Torklift steps seem so much more adaptable to differing terrain as they are not fixed length.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #4

Not sure about the steps you are talking of,,, but we have big dogs and use a expandable dog ramp,,, to get them in our 4x4,,,, and some day our 5vr,,,,,, It is easy for me to put in the back of the pickup....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #5

I think the MorRyde steps have adjustable ends to fit to terrain.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
Personally I like these better, but haven't owned the MORryde steps so not a fair comparison. The Torklift steps seem so much more adaptable to differing terrain as they are not fixed length.
They look interesting however I need something that allows for a riser so the dogs won't balk going up and down them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Not sure about the steps you are talking of,,, but we have big dogs and use a expandable dog ramp,,, to get them in our 4x4,,,, and some day our 5vr,,,,,, It is easy for me to put in the back of the pickup....
Monkey
I'm looking at how to set the rear of a RAM 3500 with either a MegaCab or Crew Cab. We'll be carrying three large dogs and need something more than putting them on top of the fold down seats. Anyway I'm hoping to be able to do a pull out ramp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I think the MorRyde steps have adjustable ends to fit to terrain.
They do. They've done several good videos on them and several show the adjustment.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:37 AM   #7

Timon, even though our rear seat folded up to the rear, I removed it totally and it gives plenty of room for our two Danes. We use memory foam about 2" thick and a couple blankets on the floor. One of our Danes is 10 yrs old now, and he has no problem walking up the ramp to get in the truck.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Timon, even though our rear seat folded up to the rear, I removed it totally and it gives plenty of room for our two Danes. We use memory foam about 2" thick and a couple blankets on the floor. One of our Danes is 10 yrs old now, and he has no problem walking up the ramp to get in the truck.
Monkey
If you can get two Danes I shouldn't have a problem with two Great Pyrenees and a Golden Retriever mix. Thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #9

I'm reading about tracking in dirt, gravel and water on a couple of forums but I don't see how this is any different that any other stairs. It's not like you opening and closing these every time your using the door.

Basically you open them up when you setup and close them when you're heading out after packing up. When your ready to close up you just sweep them off so no dirt, rocks or mud gets in the coach. The little bit of water still left on stairs if it's raining wouldn't be enough to hardly wet the floor espically if you can close the awning after closing the stairs.

The fact that these stairs are much more stable and have less moving parts plus the parts that do move are protected from the weather gives them an advantage over other stairs. I also think they are more easily upgraded for pets than the older folding ones. They do seem to stick out further than the folding ones but I think that good since they aren't as steep.

IMHO, I see these as minor issues compared to the advantage.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
They look interesting however I need something that allows for a riser so the dogs won't balk going up and down them.
They have these: Safestep
Old 10-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
They have these: Safestep
Now that changes the game. After looking at their videos I'd say this steps very well may be great for our large dogs. I also like that this is a very easy swap out to make.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #12

I have the Glo Step Revolutions on my 5'r, one of the best udgrades I have done. I haven't added the safestep backers yet but I am planning to. One of my dogs is still hesitant about climbing them, she absolutely refused to climb the originals and I got tired of lifting a 85# Malamute in and out
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #13

With those steps how do you get into your RV when in storage? They stick out further than normal steps, so can't you use them at rest stops without someone tripping over them or running over them with there car or that big rig pulling in next to you? What about that grandchild that runs to help you get the rig set up and the steps fall on there head? How about the one time you didn't get them latched in all the way or the latch just gives way and the steps beat up against the door until they pull loose from the floor then bang around the rest of the rig?

Worst use of the new steps I saw was where they put the door in the slide then had the steps added to the slide. Better be one very wide RV space.

Just in case you can't tell I don't like these new steps.

Note: Some of the manufacturers will install normal steps if requested when ordering but not all manufacturers can put in different steps because the old style housing was removed.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
The Torklift/Glowstep can be a variable distance from the unit at the bottom. They are pretty adjustable.

Tags
steps