Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Going over all the different aspects of a 5ver purchase, I'm very curious about the most important aspect of the purchase. Is it which dealer, as in they have great service and sales reputation, or the actual brand of RV you purchase? I hope I made my question clear. Just FYI, we know the floor plan so it's just down to manufacture and dealer, thus the question.
We didn't focus on either. We found the floor plan we wanted, and then it was about the specific unit we were buying. We asked the dealer to deliver it to an independent facility that we chose (it was actually the dealers competitor) to have it inspected for problems. I would recommend you have it independently inspected regardless if its new or used. During the inspection, we asked the inspector to focus on major system issues... ie, electrical, plumbing, suspension, roof, walls, etc... We were not concerned with the nickle/dime issues like a quarter round molding not being secure.

Go in knowing there will be issues for both new and used purchases. If you are handy, taking them on will not be a problem. If not, you will be spending time and money (and frustration) getting someone else to do them.

Even after we had the unit independently inspected, we found what I consider a major issue with one of our slide tops. It definitely has a "soft spot" where it appears water has penetrated an area of the slide top. We discovered this when installing slide top covers.

This goes to show you that no matter how much you try, there can still be problems.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Brand first for me...
then hopefully a floorplan 90% suitable
Truck suitable?
THEN I'll pick my dealer....

And I drove 8 hours to get to my chosen dealer, of whom I've never seen again....

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I also agree with going over any unit with a fine toothed comb.

I don't know if I've seen yet if you are considering a new unit, a lightly used unit, or a much older year model. My approach to each would be a little different in detail.

Once you narrow down on a year/model - I'd post back in a new post about it and let us chime in on things to check for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
We didn't focus on either. When we found the floor plan we wanted, and then it was about the specific unit we were buying. We asked the dealer to deliver it to an independent facility that we chose (it was actually the dealers competitor) to have it inspected for problems. I would recommend you have it independently inspected regardless if its new or used. During the inspection, we asked the inspector to focus on major system issues... ie, electrical, plumbing, suspension, roof, walls, etc... We were not concerned with the nickle/dime issues like a quarter round molding not being secure.

Go in knowing there will be issues for both new and used purchases. If you are handy, taking them on will not be a problem. If not, you will be spending time and money (and frustration) getting someone else to do them.

Even after we had the unit independently inspected, we found what I consider a major issue with one of our slide tops. It definitely has a "soft spot" where it appears water has penetrated an area of the slide top. We discovered this when installing slide top covers.

This goes to show you that no matter how much you try, there can still be problems.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #18

We will be ordering a new one. We don't want some dealers leftovers. We want to make sure we get exactly what we want.

As for the maintenance end, I am an aircraft mechanic. Just about anything that comes up I should be able to handle. And with the friendly advice on this and other forums, I should have no problems.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #19

We had different concerns wanting higher end equipment in a residential trailer. We were limited to just a few brands so we had to go to where those trailers were available. But if you're looking at one of the big brands, you should consider the dealer and how their service operation is run. Some are very disorganized. Buy from the best combination of sales and service for the brand you want.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #20

I never really thought if going into the service side of the dealer until I got onto this forum. It has been of great help and I don't even own the rv yet.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #21

1. My wife has final approval.
2. For me, its towability and quality.
3. Looking at new because of warranty and wanting to keep this RV for 7 - 10 years.
4. Dealer location and service if I need it. I'm handy to some extent. I find that the little items that come up in the campground, I just fix it and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno347 View Post
Consider this:

1. Never buy new.

2. Never buy an RV.

Got that?
As for wayno347 comment, You sound like a RV salesman!
Old 06-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I'd prioritize manufacturer over dealer ... quality isn't something that can be added to your RV once it leaves the factory, no matter how wonderful a dealership may be.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Getting a floor plan both of you at least can live with if not totally like!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #24

[QUOTE=Bruce Cisne;3103735]
1. My wife has final approval.
2. For me, its towability and quality.
3. Looking at new because of warranty and wanting to keep this RV for 7 - 10 years.
4. Dealer location and service if I need it. I'm handy to some extent. I find that the little items that come up in the campground, I just fix it and move on.

1)Happy wife, happy life!

2)Not too worried about towability, but more about quality. Although at this price range(50-60) they are all about the same.

3)Looking at new not for warranty but to get exactly what we want. We will be keeping this for 20+ years.

4) agree completely.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #25

It's the RV. Don't pay the Dealer until the RV is exactly as it should be.

Tags
purchase