Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #1

Question Motorcycle and a 5'r

All
Looking for comments here.... I want to mount a motorcycle carrier (MCC) on the back of a 5'r that would lift the MC off of the ground. The little carriers with wheels that go on the back are considered a "3rd" tow in 22 states so I don't want that hassle. What is everyones feeling of adding 1600lbs to the back of a 5'r (with proper frame modifications) if it is within the gvwr? There will be a fulcrum effect that removes weight from the pin. Will the axles take the majority of the gvwr? Will the lighter pin weight cause handleing problems?
Inquiring minds want to know!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
There's been a lot of discussion on this. A quick search for "motorcycle carrier" within the TT & 5th Wheel forums provided the following results - HERE. You might want to read through these comments and experiences.

On Edit - the search linked above has timed out. If you want to see previous discussion on this subject, go to the tool bar above, select search > advanced search and use the keywords "motorcycle carrier", restricting the search to the TT & 5th Wheel forums by highlighting that in the forum search selection box. Be sure that "search child forums" is selected as well.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1600# is a lot of weight to add to the end of a pendulem which is exactly what you will have when it is added. There is a lot more involved here other than the static load of the carrier and cycle. You have to look at the dynamic loading on the trailer. You have hundreds of punds of an object moving up and down, accelerating and decelerating many times a minute as you roll down the road.

If you can imagine holding 2 or 3 pounds of something on the end of a stick in your hands. Now shake the stick up and down, side to side and try to control or stop it easily.

A larger diesel pusher motorhome can take this OK as it is generally a pretty short distance from the rear axle to the rear bumper. A 5er has a considerably longer overhang. The other problem is the weight will act a counterweight and unload your hitch or pin weight which can lead to chucking or bucking problems.

Ken
Old 05-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you look on the iRV2 Forum main page toward the bottom, in the RV Lifestyles Forums, there's a forum for Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes. In there you'll find a Motorcycles, Bikes and Buggies sub-forum. Drop in there if you like and all of us motorcyclists can, if nothing else, show some empathy for your situation and be jealous of the folks with toyhaulers or motorhomes with bike trailers, pickup trucks carrying bikes in the bed, etc.

The 5th wheel's axle loading will increase by the weight of the bike and carrier PLUS the amount the pin weight is reduced (that load has to go somewhere since it's no longer carried by the truck!)

Rusty
2007 BMW K1200GT
BMWMOA 120519
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #5

I have done it for years with great success!!! I say go for it, unless your talking about a Hog

Old 05-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gearman, what you have back there is considerably less than 1600#.

Ken
Old 05-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #7

RustyJC and all
Thanks for your comments. I will continue to research this problem and let you all know if I come up with anything helpfull.
Edc
Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #8

iceman,

He asked if it can be done and what it would look like.

Would I spend 30-70k on a bike and put it on a rack, hell no!! I would buy a enclosed trailer and tow behind.

ecarbone,

I do tow my jet skis (3 on a trailer), and have towed ATVs/motorcycles on a trailer as well. Rack is when I go by myself and only want to take one toy. I am getting ready to get tow bar on the jeep and tow behind the 5th!

Depending on how big and heavy your 5th is, would I put 1600lbs on the back, Yes.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gearman, the engineer in me comes out and due to the weights and balances of the whole thing, I would not hang 1600# on the back of any known 5er. I could never recommend something like this without a through analysis. But gut feel says - no way.

Your mount looks sufficient for the motorcycle you have on the rear of the 5er. Not all 5ers have sufficient frame in the rear to carry much additional weight.

Ken
Old 05-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Gearman, the engineer in me comes out and due to the weights and balances of the whole thing, I would not hang 1600# on the back of any known 5er. I could never recommend something like this without a through analysis. But gut feel says - no way.

Your mount looks sufficient for the motorcycle you have on the rear of the 5er. Not all 5ers have sufficient frame in the rear to carry much additional weight.

Ken
Agreed, not all 5ths should EVER have a hitch to even pull a very small row boat. Thats why I said "with the right trailer".
Old 05-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
One of the reasons I haven't traded for a 5er is because of this very problem. Losing the bed, would eliminate the taking the bike, my bike weighs 550lbs. already, then whatever rack to support it.

I also like having a rear living area so I can look out the back with a window to keep the weather out, so a toy hauler wouldn't work, least none I've seen yet.

One thing I considered is modifying the interior where I could roll the bike in a side door, tie it down with hidden hooks, roll it out when I got there. Would probably still be a pita, but seems the best solution. Course I could just stick to my TT.

sknight is offline   Reply With Quote