Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #1

Motorcycle Lifts

Does anyone have any experience on using one of these motorcycle lifts for the back of your fifth wheel?

Trying to analyze alternatives. Don't need or want a toy hauler, but would like a second mode of transportation other than the a big diesel tow vehicle.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #2

I guess maybe to add to that discussion.. bike weight approximately 600lbs... lift weight is 300lbs... so about 900lbs strapped to the back there.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #3

I guess I found the answer to my own question. This Hydralift model is specifically for fifth wheels. Not all fifth wheels...but obviously heavier duty fifth wheels. Great info on their website. Looks like you can even request from specific dealers to install one at the time you buy it.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #4

I don't know of a fifth wheel with strong enough frame rails to handle such a lift. I've just seen'em on very large diesel pusher Class A's.

Sorry!
Old 07-28-2015, 08:17 AM   #5

I have the Hydra Lift on my DRV Mobile Suites with modifications added including a third axle and stronger frame from the factory. Hydra lift wants ten feet or less of overhang from the rear wheel to the rear of the camper. There is a lot of stress on the cantilevered frame when traveling on rough roads.

The Hydra Lift web site lists three custom fifth wheel mfgs. that will install the lift and also Excel. Excel is no longer in business but they had stopped installing the lift due to problems with frame twist on the longer fifth wheels.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #6

psaint... Did you custom order your fifth wheel from the factory, or did you buy it and take it back to them for the modifications? I would think adding the third axle would not be too much of a problem, but how does it effect the turning on the rig? Do you have a 12" frame or larger? When you say stronger frame, did they just box it in? i.e add a 4th side to it? Most frames are three sided, if i recall correctly. What do you estimate was the total added cost for these mods?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #7

Most frames are I-Beam or rectangular tubes.

The Mobile Suites standard frames are 2x15 rectangular tubes. They are two 2x6 and a 2x3 stacked and the side wall thickness of the 2x6's is 1/8" and the 2x3 is 1/4" thick. I had all the tubes upgraded to 1/4" thick at the factory. The factory would not add the third axle even though they make other models with three axles. I had the third axle added by the truck shop I regularly patronize. The cost was between 4 and 5 thousand. I recall about $1500 for the frame, about $2000 for the axle and tires and wheels and the rest labor. I have the Mor/Ryde Independent Suspension on my trailer.

Tri-axle trailers have no problems with turns but a very sharp turn, particularly backing up, will have some scuffing but so do dual axle trailers.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:09 PM   #8

A less expensive route could be a swivel wheel trailer. There are several options from economical up to expensive. Do a google search and you will find several manufacturers.

They are generally prohibited east of Ohio, but as you are in Texas (I believe) that is not a problem for you (unless of course you want to take it East).
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 PM   #9

Yep, I looked at the towable options also, but we won't be in Texas forever, and didn't want to have double trailer issues with other states.

We have just been doing a ton of research on all our options, etc prior to buying. We are now really leaning toward getting an Alpine 3900RE with the small rear garage.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #10

That is a nice option.

We looked at Toy haulers back in 2011 also but the wife couldn't find anything she liked. The problem I had with side doors is they would not easily, if at all, fit our 1500 Goldwing (which is over 8 and 1/2 feet long).

Good luck with your search.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
That is a nice option.

We looked at Toy haulers back in 2011 also but the wife couldn't find anything she liked. The problem I had with side doors is they would not easily, if at all, fit our 1500 Goldwing (which is over 8 and 1/2 feet long).

Good luck with your search.
We looked at the Alfa Gold Side Loader because my wife didn't want to loose 10-12' of living space for the garage. Not quite ready to drop that much cash just yet but it is a good option.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Captain View Post
We looked at the Alfa Gold Side Loader because my wife didn't want to loose 10-12' of living space for the garage. Not quite ready to drop that much cash just yet but it is a good option.
If you are talking about the 3905SH, I wish those would have been available when we were looking, they seem to me to be an awesome design (as long as adding 1000 lbs to the street side doesn't hurt anything).

Probably out of our price range at the time, but a great idea.