Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
I have "read" that there is an issue with double towing not allowed in California. Technically, it's an extension. But who wants to have that fight on the side of the road.

No?
Need to correct myself.

Per California laws: In summary, nonresidents may tow two trailers with a non-commercial license IF their base state allows it.

Length

Thus, as I have a State of Michigan Recreational Double "R" Endorsement on my license, it is legal for me to tow double in California. So I am good regardless if CHP considers the Swivel Wheel a second trailer or not.

YMMV.

wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #16

If you're just wanting to haul your bike...then per the previous post, look at the Lifestyle Alfa Gold 3905 SH (or MH...motorcycle hauler). More "full time" living space with dishwasher, and residential fridge (on some models, but that can be changed by the dealer you buy it from). You are right though on toy haulers. There are some nice toy haulers on the market, but they just are quite designed for full timing yet...even the DRV Fullhouse. It's very nice, but just not quite the design I would like for FT. The Crossroads Elevations are nice (Las Vegas and Brickyard), and they are now installing residential fridges for FT living, and will be adding dishwasher the later 2015 models. I met the Crossroads rep at the Houston show, and they now see the market for a "full time" toyhauler (smaller garage and more living space). Evergreen is also designing a new model with more seating (on both sides), and they are also looking at taking the Bay Hill 295 and adding 9'-10' garage for a "full time" toyhauler which would be perfect for me...we'll see!

Old 02-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #17

If you get a strong enough frame with the fiver you can haul the bike on the back and have all the room you need inside. My bike rides very well and no worries about double towing.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaint View Post
If you get a strong enough frame with the fiver you can haul the bike on the back and have all the room you need inside. My bike rides very well and no worries about double towing.

This is interesting, I wonder what would constitute a strong enough frame and how much does that motorcycle weigh?
Old 02-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #19

I have seen a goldwing on the back of a Newmar mountain aire,consider also a HDT truck they can be had for reasonable cost and I have a friend who puts his BMW on the back of it.
Or go to the escapees HTD forum ,bikes in a garage on the back behind the sleeper are common.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #20

You can look the Lifestyle Alfa Gold 3905SH, it has slide out with a motorcycle lift. They show a HD Streetglide being loaded. The Alfa Gold has a dishwasher and you can also get the residential fridge...then there are toyhaulers.
If you want to keep your rig and haul it on the rear like the picture above, I met a company at the Houston RV show that installs different types of lifts on the rear of coaches or trailers. They can tell you if your frame is strong enough to add this feature. Keith Smith's email address is smitty@smittysrvwelding.net
or you can call 800-491-1891. He might be able to actually refer someone closer to your area if your too far away. I was impressed with their lift and they can the lift to accommodate ANY size bike...Gold Wings or HD Ultra Limited's
Good luck!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #21

New Horizon 5th Wheel will install that lift for you. I think DRV and Excel (Shorter models) have strong enough frames though it will void the warranty. Excel used to install them but will not now due to problems they had with a longer model.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
This is interesting, I wonder what would constitute a strong enough frame and how much does that motorcycle weigh?
The bike, a BMW R1200RT, weighs about 700 lbs.
It's not just having a frame strong enough but also having a short enough overhang between the rear axle and the lift. Hydralift, the mfg. of my lift recommends under 10 feet of overhang. I added a third axle to reduce the original overhang.
Not many fivers have a frame that I consider strong enough. New Horizons has an 18" frame and will install the lift.
DRV has a 15" frame but the frame mfg. will void the warranty if a lift is added. I agreed to void the warranty, which was only good for one year anyhow, and had the frame built heavier than standard.
Excel had problems with putting a lift on their 10" frame and stopped offering it as an option. Excel's frame is just too small to be seriously considered unless it was on a short fiver.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:10 PM   #23

I have seen adding an additional axle behind the rear axle of a tandum unit. Sort like a tri axle toy hauler. That will shorten the overhang. The axle could be equipped with air suspension and independent from other 2.
That's my plan when I will need it for our 5er.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaint View Post
The bike, a BMW R1200RT, weighs about 700 lbs.
It's not just having a frame strong enough but also having a short enough overhang between the rear axle and the lift. Hydralift, the mfg. of my lift recommends under 10 feet of overhang. I added a third axle to reduce the original overhang.
Not many fivers have a frame that I consider strong enough. New Horizons has an 18" frame and will install the lift.
DRV has a 15" frame but the frame mfg. will void the warranty if a lift is added. I agreed to void the warranty, which was only good for one year anyhow, and had the frame built heavier than standard.
Excel had problems with putting a lift on their 10" frame and stopped offering it as an option. Excel's frame is just too small to be seriously considered unless it was on a short fiver.
Thanks for the information. I did see the lifts at the RV show in Houston, I like the lift but I will stick to hanging bicycles on the back of the camper.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #25

New Horizons Owners Club
Our choice was New Horizons.. Great units, built with fulltimers in mind. Custom built from the ground up with a frame strong enough to hang a Goldwing off the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Living area1 (640x427).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	86619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Living area3 (640x427).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	86620  

Click image for larger version

Name:	035 (640x427).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	86621  
Old 02-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Motorcycles & Fivers

Check link below to similar discussion on MC carry option on 5th wheel

Hydralift or Swivelwheel experiences needed
steeltom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #27

This is a subject of great interest to me. We have 34' American Star and we ride a Honda Valkyrie Interstate, and love to use both in conjunction with one another. I did recently get a single castor swivel trailer, it's weight rated for the Valk, and the connection is either a single 2x2" adapter (truck) or double 2x2" adapter (bumper mount). It came off a 5er and was used for their golf cart, and he never had a problem. I think the deal with this is not so much that it is an extension rather than a trailer, but it's a complete gray area. And then there is this - if this is an extension, does it need a license plate?

Traveler357 is offline   Reply With Quote