Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #1

Mountaineer vs Light

Hi everyone. I am trying to decide btw two 5th wheels: the Montana mountaineer edition or the open range light. Each have things I love on them, and I've read good reviews about the mountaineer but little regarding the light probably because its such a new brand. I will be full timing it, and am aware that the mountaineer has larger holding tanks, is heavier, and will require a 2 ton diesel to haul, the light will require a half ton gas to haul since it is lighter. I am planning on keeping whatever I get for at least the next 10 years. Any thoughts, pro and cons of each, reviews of people in particular that have a Light would be great. Thanks!
tayawoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #2

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Welcome!
IMO, any "light" RV and full timing will most likely not hold up well together. Light RV's are for the weekenders or short stays, cutting corners to save weight they are lighter and can be pulled with a smaller tow truck. A heavier RV may require a bigger truck, but are made with longer trips and living in mind.
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #3

I have a 2010 324RLQ Mountaineer and tow with an F-250 Ford Super Duty Diesel short bed extended cab. The combination has held up very well with no problems in either the 5er or the truck.

I don't think you really mean a 2 ton diesel. The combination I have tows very well and is within the loaded weight limits of the vehicles.

Do not listen to any salesman on these weights and capacities of either the 5er or the truck. Do your homework on weights and capacities. Remember, you will most likely add about 2000lbs. to the fiver weight with fluids, gear etc. as well you will add some weight to the truck with the hitch, fuel and passengers. Good luck in your search.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #4

Don't be mislead by the "1/2 ton towable jargin". Unless you tow the 'light' 5th wheel empty or have the F150 with the HD payload package you will most likely be over on payload and RAWR with the 1/2 ton. There are only a few Open Range Lights that can be towed by non HD 1/2 tons. Full timing in something too small will get old fast. I would step up to the Montana and a 1 ton truck. Life will be more relaxing.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #5

Hi everyone, thank you for your kind responses. I just want to make clarify that when I say Light, I am referring to the Open Range brand, the Light. Yes, it is lighter than the mountaineer, but I was told both are well insulated and full time weather homes. Thank you to those who responded about the trucks because I definitely need info there. I would also like to here abt both brands of 5ers, the mountaineer vs. the light. Thank you.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #6

Oops, forgot to mention that the light isn't really smaller than the mountaineer. Both are about the same size and both have plenty of room inside. I hope that helps in my post.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Be sure to check out the fine print about full timing in your selected purchase. Some manufacturers clearly state their units are not for full time use. This will speak to how ell they are sealed and insulated. Look for it in writing-not some smooth talk.