Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #15

Here is most likely the most in-depth discussion on the chinese generator subject.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 3000W Chinese Gensets Info.

The problem is it will take you several days to cull through it (962 pages and counting)

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #16

I have the champion genset mentioned earlier. It powers my 13k ac unit with no problems. I have a tt and a diesel truck. I have the gen set in the bed of my truck open air. With the tailgate up u can barely hear it. Inside the trailer w ac on u cnt hear it at all. I bought a 30 ft 30 amp extension cord and run it frm genset in bed of truck to power hookup on tt. That way I never have to move the genset. Very convenient when dry camping. Make sure u secure the genset so no one steals it!

hurly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Here is most likely the most in-depth discussion on the chinese generator subject.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 3000W Chinese Gensets Info.

The problem is it will take you several days to cull through it (962 pages and counting)
I found it and have been working my way through it for a couple of days now. MORE days to go, but there's a LOT of good stuff in there!

Thanks-
Bob
Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurly23 View Post
I have the champion genset mentioned earlier. It powers my 13k ac unit with no problems. I have a tt and a diesel truck. I have the gen set in the bed of my truck open air. With the tailgate up u can barely hear it. Inside the trailer w ac on u cnt hear it at all. I bought a 30 ft 30 amp extension cord and run it frm genset in bed of truck to power hookup on tt. That way I never have to move the genset. Very convenient when dry camping. Make sure u secure the genset so no one steals it!
The box is as much to keep people from seeing and stealing it as to attenuate
the sound, actually! I would certainly secure it IN the bed, or TO the bed (or wherever the box ends up).

I figure if I can can knock off 3-6db without overheating my genny I'll be thrilled.

I am thinking that maybe the 2" receiver hitch (rated at 3000pounds trailer weight and 300 pounds hitch weight) on the back of my 5er might be a decent place for a properly attached (stabilized by attachments on both ends to the bumper) unit since it's only 5ft from where my 30a plug is located. I don't think 150 pounds on the back of the 5er will upset the handling much if at all.

A good aluminum tread plate box w/ a liftable lid and 3 removable sides, all lockable, (for access and ventilation) that would fit IN the bed, or on a fabricated hitch platform would be quite versatile. Perhaps lining it with heavy rubber conveyor belt material (available here in farming/ranching country) and egg carton foam would even cut down on the sound a bit, whether I run it "open" or somewhat closed (with forced ventilation).

I see that wrapping the muffler w/ fiberglass, then sheetmetal, and plumbing out of the box, reduces the heat inside the box (generator frame) considerably, allowing a bit less positive ventilation than otherwise required. The Champion comes with a flange on the muffler output, and that would make adding an exhaust system OUTside a box very easy.

If nothing else, I'll end up with a nice tool box for about $200 in materials and maybe a day's work with a metal brake and a tig welder.

I am picking up a Radio Shack noise meter, which will make this into a real hobby pursuit at worst.

BTW, you mention you have a TWIN turbo Cummins. Is that a mod you came up with or did you do a commercially available kit? I have an '03 HO Cummins (300hp) w/ the single turbo, but have heard of a twin mod ( http://www.davesdiesel.com/DD_BD_Sup...rbo_Dodge.html ). Is that what you have?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #19

I can't say enough good things about my Champion
I decided on fabbing my own heavy custom bumper on 5ver and installed 3 receivers to keep it nice and strong. I secure it with heavy cable and lock.
It has traveled many trips and no problems with any thing

jasult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasult View Post
I can't say enough good things about my Champion
I decided on fabbing my own heavy custom bumper on 5ver and installed 3 receivers to keep it nice and strong. I secure it with heavy cable and lock.
It has traveled many trips and no problems with any thing
The 3-Receiver mount is a good one. Much more secure than just the center one.

How's the noise level inside when running the Champion?

BTW, I LOVE the Weber Grille cover. No sense advertising what you have, except most Webers actually cost MORE than a Champion generator!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #21

I never measured the noise but with AC on, it is fine. When I was at Hershey PA RV Show we boondocked over night in the lot with 100 other rv's. I placed the champion on the grass away from us and other rv's and at 20 feet away it was fine but every one had some sort of genny running until quiet time. I don't run the champion at rv parks that have electric hook ups so we never run into any complaints
jasult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know a number of folks who do not tow their 5ers with pickups.

On the internet there is a photo of one being pulled by a modified station wagon (I suspect it was a staged photo however) more to the point, and more honestly, I know a number who use Semi Tractors to do it.. My brother inluded, however when he pulls his 5er with his Tractor (Which is licensed for 160,000 pounds) it's kind of a busman's holiday.. he normally pulls a flat bed load of steel with that tractor.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasult View Post
I never measured the noise but with AC on, it is fine. When I was at Hershey PA RV Show we boondocked over night in the lot with 100 other rv's. I placed the champion on the grass away from us and other rv's and at 20 feet away it was fine but every one had some sort of genny running until quiet time. I don't run the champion at rv parks that have electric hook ups so we never run into any complaints
I was going to run mine either IN the pick-up, or ON the 5th receiver-mounted carrier, mostly when parking or overnighting on hot days and nights in rest areas, truck-stops like Flying Js and WalMarts (next to 18 wheelers running refer units, etc.). Like you, I didn't buy the Champion for campground use, where even a Honda EU3000i can be quite annoying.

Because of several back surgeries, I can't be hefting a 100# genset in/out of pickups and other places, so it will run where it sits when it gets run, so that's why I was wondering about the noise/vibration, thinking you ran yours on the trailer carrier.

When at destinations (hopefully cool ones not requiring AC) we'll either use shore power, or run our little Honda EU2000i to charge the batteries or run microwaves or the like on a very limited basis. Fifty pounds I can move safely onto the ground.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinyelm

The box is as much to keep people from seeing and stealing it as to attenuate
the sound, actually! I would certainly secure it IN the bed, or TO the bed (or wherever the box ends up).

I figure if I can can knock off 3-6db without overheating my genny I'll be thrilled.

I am thinking that maybe the 2" receiver hitch (rated at 3000pounds trailer weight and 300 pounds hitch weight) on the back of my 5er might be a decent place for a properly attached (stabilized by attachments on both ends to the bumper) unit since it's only 5ft from where my 30a plug is located. I don't think 150 pounds on the back of the 5er will upset the handling much if at all.

A good aluminum tread plate box w/ a liftable lid and 3 removable sides, all lockable, (for access and ventilation) that would fit IN the bed, or on a fabricated hitch platform would be quite versatile. Perhaps lining it with heavy rubber conveyor belt material (available here in farming/ranching country) and egg carton foam would even cut down on the sound a bit, whether I run it "open" or somewhat closed (with forced ventilation).

I see that wrapping the muffler w/ fiberglass, then sheetmetal, and plumbing out of the box, reduces the heat inside the box (generator frame) considerably, allowing a bit less positive ventilation than otherwise required. The Champion comes with a flange on the muffler output, and that would make adding an exhaust system OUTside a box very easy.

If nothing else, I'll end up with a nice tool box for about $200 in materials and maybe a day's work with a metal brake and a tig welder.

I am picking up a Radio Shack noise meter, which will make this into a real hobby pursuit at worst.

BTW, you mention you have a TWIN turbo Cummins. Is that a mod you came up with or did you do a commercially available kit? I have an '03 HO Cummins (300hp) w/ the single turbo, but have heard of a twin mod ( http://www.davesdiesel.com/DD_BD_Sup...rbo_Dodge.html ). Is that what you have?
The guy who owned it before me was a diesel mechanic. So he was the one who installed the twin turbo. One on top of the other. I forget the name of the turbo. Will check when I get hm. He also put on a full 5" exhaust and hd tranny before he traded it in. Nw I'm reaping the benefits I'm new to the diesel world but am still fam w/vehicles so I knew a good deal when I seen it.
hurly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #25

Idea Tweaks

Good ideas, and a very nice looking Cargo Tray setup there!

The best conductor to carry heat away - which will help keep the Genny environment cooler - will be un-lined Metal. Consider trying only the metal Box first; then line it only if 'unsatisfactory' dB level dictates. Lining will have the down side of acting like a heat insulator; raising the Genny Box temp.

Consider first making a Box w/o a bottom. Place it - secured - over the Genny as if one was putting a open Cooler over the Genny upside down. This will allow Air intake up from the bottom through the Cargo Tray HD 'screen'. I believe that one of the ideas above mentioned a Commercial Box doing just this; having an open bottom.

Then, tweak Muffler and other ideas as req'd by dB level... Some folks mention not having an Aftermarket Genny on the RV Frame, due to coupled vibration level.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #26

I am picturing a large (min of 4"-6" clearance around the genset*) aluminum treadplate box with a hinged lid (to allow removal of gen and fueling), and removable lockable doors located on the bottom (removable while the gen is on its tray-frame for convection cooling inlet and oil draining), the sides (heat outlets), and front for servicing and pull-starting.

I'd like to mount something on the bottom of the floor to keep the gen from walking around, and to keep it centered in the box.

Although the muffler is aimed out one of my planned doors, extending the exhaust out of the box should reduce resonance, and would allow an additional muffler should it be necessary (maybe hung below the frame supporting the box). The Champ has a flange which should make this easier.

I WAS thinking of lining the box with 1/4" conveyor belt material (to kill low frequencies), and maybe light closed-cell foam (kill high frequency) inside of that, though maybe just small patches in the center of the large panels to kill resonance would be enough. At least with the doors, heat would get out (along with more sound than I'd like, I'm sure).

Still from a theft and weather-protection aspect, the box makes sense. It would cost a fortune to HAVE made (more than the genset cost), but having a relative with the equipment to build it in his shop after-hours, I can probably get away for a couple hundred for a sheet of treadplate plus a bunch of RV keylocks for the hatches and lid.

Bob
*perhaps w/ enough hatches, much less clearance is required.
With an open bottom, with the side hatches removed during operation, perhaps the forced ventilation fan can be eliminated as well.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #27

Coastal Campers
I own a Champion 3500/4000 and carry it (with a Weber cover) in the bed of our truck.. I use a #12 extension cord to power the 5er, the key to calculating wire size is max output of the generator... setting the genny on the lawn (vs asphalt) and throwing a large doormat over it cuts the noise way way down (it's mechanical noise, not exhaust)

Nice in bed installation is at

Protective Weather Proof Cover for my Honda EU3000i Generator

The site owner has done many nifty mods to his rig, surf around and have a lookie see..

We were in a campground in Connecticut when Irene hit.. friend in the next row has a Champion in his 5er bunper.. I couldn't hear it running, one aisle away..

Am in the process of building a rack in the back of the 5er to tote the generator..

Oh.. have used ours in Flying Js and you can just hear it run (in the PU bed)..

2006 "Collector Edition" Arctic Fox 24-5N
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #28

That's a REALLY tightly cowled box for the Honda, but the Honda's a closed box to begin with, anyway, so doesn't need much space-just access to cooling air.

That's the sort of thing I'd like to mount on my 5er's rear bumper using the 2" receiver hitch back there, and using square "U-Bolts" around the back bumper to stabilize it.

I'd slide the spare tire as far left as I could and still use the ladder, and hang the weight on the receiver hitch. Unfortunately the box would be off-center to the right.

The alternative might be to mount the spare UNDER the 5er at the rear somehow to free up the bumper area for use by the "box."

Maybe use a cable suspension like on my P/U truck to raise and lower it to the ground.

Bob