Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #43
I am going to stick my 2 cents in just for added suggestions

Originally Posted by bobinyelm View Post
Do the fans I mention count as power ventilation?

When I think back on my old Winnebago Class A Motor Home (5500 watt 1800rpm Onan), and my Lance truck camper (3400 watt 3600 rpm Generac) with built-in generators, they had about 8" space all around them, and had NO power ventilation. They had small openings at the bottom and top of their compartment doors which were covered in metal mesh to provide natural convection ventilation, and that was it. In fairness, they had their mufflers OUTSIDE the compartments, though I do plan to extend the exhaust outside my compartment as well.

Wonder how they survived the heat without a problem?

I planned to have far more ventilation than that for my Champion-in-a-box, but maybe you are saying they are far less tolerant of heat than my old RV gensets?
Go to a junk yard or pick a part, and as far as your cooling situation and ventilation goes purchase two used 12 v electric car radiator fans. (Small imports have the smallest thinner units that move allot of air) Use one for input and one for output. It surely would help aid in ventilation and heat buildup. The reason I suggest the radiator fans is they are very high powered and move allot of air and require only a 12 v battery that you could probably rig a recharge situation from the generator running? Just a thought. You are going to laugh but I used one in my exhaust compartment in my 5th wheel to replace the dinky exhaust fan in the bathroom. When I turn the fan on the toilet paper hanging off the roll, becomes air born being pulled upward. Oh did I mention it really exhausts the small bathroom?

first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #44
See my post in the 5th wheel forum on the exhaust fan for the bathroom. There is a picture of this type of fan.

first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote