Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #1

Mounting fifth wheel onto aluminum flatbed body

I am getting a new aluminum flat bed Body for my F250 Super Duty. I just got a Pro Series 15,000 pounds hitch, can the hitch be mounted to an aluminium body? We just picked up a good used fifth wheel 29' trailer and every picture I have seen with an aluminium body is recessed..... My factory fleet side body is rotted(it's a Ford) so we ordered an aluminum flat bed body, the place I am getting it from says it doesn't change the bed height that much and should be fine. The body and hitch are going to be installed at a shop that is a full machine shop and they are telling me it's fine......
I'm just looking for any other thoughts or concerns
Thanks
Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #2

All the flat beds I have seen are much higher than stock. Mine is the CM ER bed and it has a trough my hitch is mounted in. It would be too high without the trough.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #3

That's what I was afraid of..... We are only going to move my fifth wheel and my in-laws twice a year to our seasonal sites, but I still want a level tow setup. I will have to talk to the shop doing the work.
Thanks for the input
Old 03-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't see where the bed material would make any difference as the hitch should be secured to the frame
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #5

Bed material is not in the equation. All flat beds are higher than stock bed unless custom design with a trough for hitch. You could cut it and make a door. Add steel plate to top of chassis for hitch. They do make stick aluminum rods. They only weld decent flat though. Flat beds have a 4" channel beam under them. Many add a 3" channel cross ways to clear wiring, fuel tanks, etc. This gives you 7" additional height. You may be able to get this out of hitch and pin. You will have to check
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 03-25-2015, 01:40 AM   #6

Flat beds, by design, are above the drive wheels by several inches. The bed in your fleetsid was recessed below the wheels. If you look at a purpose built 5th wheel truck body, you can see the 5th wheel mounts at or below the level of the wheels. They make a "short" fifth wheel hitch for flatbeds but you may have to add blocks to the trailer suspension to get a level tow.

Jim
j_a_wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #7

The cross rails on a typical pickup bed put the floor about 2.5 inches above the frame. The typical flatbed will have 3 inch cross rails plus 4 inch rails parallel to the frame. The difference is 4.5 inches. Typical fifth wheel hitches will not adjust low enough to work with a flatbed. But there are lower height hitches specifically designed for use with flatbeds. They will have a height of around 8-9 inches.

The aluminum is irrelavent, all hitches are mounted to the truck frame with bolts that go thru the floor material. Flatbed hitches do not come with the necessary underfloor hardware, your installer will have to fabricate what is necessary.

Or, if you want to use a standard hitch for a pickup, you can cut out a section of the floor and recess it. In this case, you will be able to use the standard underfloor brackets as well. Had the same problem with my utility bed and this is the route I went.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #8

I love this forum, we put a replacement factory bed on to avoid the height issues. Thank you all for the input, I knew it was going to be to high but the guy selling the flat bed wanted a sale.....
Now I know I will be safe towing and we can still haul sawdust for my wife's horses!!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #9

We love ours. So much more use. Can see to back also
Old 03-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #10

Glennwest, just out of curiosity. Why do you say that a flat bed is so much more useful?
Old 03-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #11

It has more area than a standard bed so you can physically put more on it. Can load from 3 areas instead of just rear. I personally will never own another truck with a box bed. Mine has 4 boxes on sides and don't have to have a tool box taking up room either.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #12

I have debated getting one in the future. We had one for a farm truck which was great for loading pallets on. My concern is always having to strap everything down so it won't blow out. With the standard bed I load the bed up all round the hitch, are you able to keep anything on the bed while towing?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #13

Anything lite will blow out of even a box bed if not tied down. We lost a sewer hose this way when we had box bed. Anything heavy can slide and damage it or damage truck bed. It is easy to tie down with a flat/hauler bed.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:52 PM   #14

B&W makes a hitch for their turnover gooseneck that is flatbed specific.