Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2005, 08:01 PM   #15

....Ok, a car hits you in the rear at the generator....the gasoline tank compresses very quickly-there is no spark yet to set off the gasoline-though it has diffused into the atmospher-then the battery shorts in the car.....guess what...a quart of gasoline is become a very effective fuel-air bomb.....from watching tv and seeing the news.....we have all seen how effective they can be.......think about keeping gasoline in a generator on the rear of your trailer/camper-the possible conquences of your actions-and the liability you will incure if that senario happens......think about the other person-could be a child and/or your kids also.....you might be on the side of the road looking at the damage....or worse yet inside your camper looking for damage......It's your life-I know better than fooling with fuel-air bombs.......If you think your ugly now wait till you see one up close and personal..............FYI....geofkaye-that is all
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #16
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Carry mine on the receiver of my pickup in a special carrier. Posted a slide show on it here some time ago. Works well for me.

Homemade Genset Carrier Slide Show

Old 06-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #17

........very very very very smart and very protected!....thanks for the slide show.....show it everyone that will watch!....others don't realize what a gallon of gasoline can do.....geofkaye
Old 07-29-2005, 06:34 PM   #18

Does the generator prevent opening the door on the front af your trailer?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Threevagabonds:
Does the generator prevent opening the door on the front af your trailer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, It does so I try not to transport anything in there that I would need until I have disconnected.

By the way as an update, I have added a wire to my AC junction box with a plug by the pin box so I can run the genset while traveling to power the AC, Fridge, Etc. Nice to have a cool rig when you arrive, especialy here in Texas in the summertime.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:45 AM   #20

Thanks for the information. That AC feature sure sounds good. I have to make some measurments on my rig to see if I have enough clearance on turns.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:12 PM   #21
zip

Allendp, Thanks for showing us a nice genset holder! Does the genset just sit in the box without being bolted or clamped down?( I noticed you're adding a cable to secure it to the receiver.)
BTW, what kind of pup is Cricket?

zip.94 Terry 5'er 30.5ft.
zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:34 AM   #22

I bet the others campers love it when you fire that puppy off! Have you got any complaints? Just curious why you didn't go with a quieter genset?
norty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #23

I did something a little different. I sawzalled the bumper welded some steel square tubing to move the bumper out about 4 feet. I then welded the bumper back on and mounter the gen on a steal basket. I keep very little fuel in the generater and the gas can in the bed of the truck. Let me know if you would like to see picts. I looks factory and is very safe.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
markclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:38 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Sorry for the late replys - kinda lost contact with this thread.

NORTY - I haven't used it for overnight campping just for keeping the trailer powered up while traveling. Plans are to use it for remote camping only - never around other rigs. However the genset is surprisingly quiet about 25 ft away from it. It is not annoying in the rig either when in use.

ZIP - I drilled a hole thru the carrier and the genset leg and now run a pin with a lock thru the holes to secure it to the carrier and eliminated the cable. Cricket is a Shi Tzu now a little over a year old and an absolute delight.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:47 PM   #25

Sure would like to see the pictures of your generator mount.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:43 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Threevagabonds - Please click on the link below:

Homemade Genset Carrier Slide Show
Old 10-12-2005, 07:01 AM   #27

Looked at the pictures and they are real neat. I don't have the welding talent, but have several persons in the area that I will show them to and see if they can build one for me. The wife loved your little dog, and I think there might be one in our future, since we could get into many more parks with an under 35# dog. I never could figure that weight limit out though. Thanks again!