Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2004, 08:35 PM   #1

Does anyone have a sugestion how to clear mud dauber nests out of a furnace without removing and dis-assembling the furnace? The nest is only visible with a flexible endoscope as there is a 180 degree turn in the exaust as it exits the combustion chamber. Atwood 8500 IV. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2004, 08:35 PM   #2

Does anyone have a sugestion how to clear mud dauber nests out of a furnace without removing and dis-assembling the furnace? The nest is only visible with a flexible endoscope as there is a 180 degree turn in the exaust as it exits the combustion chamber. Atwood 8500 IV. Thanks.

Old 11-27-2004, 09:46 PM   #3

Brazosvet,

Hopefully other members on this site can provide you with some good advise and recommendations as to cleaning out the mud dauber nest in your furnace. I was just recently told by a good RV service technician that the new furnaces can not be taken apart and cleaned out. In most cases, he told me the furnace has to be replaced and the cost is around $800.00. He then gave me an $8.00 mesh screen that goes over the furnace outlet on the exterior of the trailer. It will probable be the best $8.00 I never spent. Good luck.

Don W.
2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
2004 Thor Jazz XL 3100RL

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:08 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Have you tried a plumber's snake?
Old 11-29-2004, 09:55 AM   #5

Good idea. Is there any damage I can cause by using something like a plumbers snake? Other suggestions would be helpful too, in case the snake doesn't work. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:28 AM   #6

A good auto parts store, like NAPA, has 24" flexible extension "jaws". Push the button on one end and 3 or 4 wire jaws open up on the other end. (great for picking up screws lost down inside ductwork or other "impossible" places).
Old 12-03-2004, 04:29 PM   #7

Oh boy, not fun! I was lucky last year and noted the little buzzards hanging around the furnace exhaust, got the cover in time, then they went into the roof fridge vent, caught that in time, then they headed towards the AC, blast, ladder wasn't long enough, oh well don't need the AC. Then I found them going into my interior of the truck to the AC vents, and outside under the hood, what a major PITA.
I don't know if you could maybe try something like a flex drive from a Dremel moto tool with a small brush on the end. Once those mud tubes dry, they are just about like rock and just as difficult to remove. Lot o luck, let us know how you make out on this dilemma.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:11 PM   #8

;....on exterior commercial heating systems we have used a pressure washer after removing the burners and capping the gas inlet....might work on a Rv and couldn't hurt anything as they are all steel....blast out with compressed air to dry and get rid of any puddles....geof
Old 12-04-2004, 02:21 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If the mud dobber nest is on the exhaust side of the furnace I would worry too much about getting it out unless it it restricting the airflow so badly that the furnace is cycling on the high limit thermostat. The real bad problem is if they are in the intake for combustion air. You do not want to allow them in this end. It will cut down on the air needed for proper burner flame and if they get onto the blower wheel they will put it out of balance and it will rattle to be the band and wear the bearing out of the motor. If they have gotten in the blower wheel this is easy enought to disassemble and clean up. If you want to us the screens to prevent them from getting in in warm weather that is fine but the furnace manufacturers don't want them on when the furnace is in use. They say it can cause the exhaust to recirculate that air and heat back into the intake air.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:08 PM   #10
dnd

RV wizard is correct about the screens. They are manfactured by someone other than the furnace manfactures who state in all there instruction that screen are not recommended and can cause some restriction to the exhaust. The exhaust contains carbon monoxide some everyone should be very careful of as it is deadly and can not be seen or smelled.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #11

RV Wizard, Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but I understood that the exhaust and fresh air intake on the outside were totally separate from the interior air that is circulated thru and heated in the plenum.. I'm only wondering if the exhaust(center pipe) and return fresh air(small rectangles on each side of exhaust) are that close together, you would be getting a mix of burned and fresh heated air in the trailer. Any wisdom, thanks, Erich.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Erich, you are correct, the combustion air is kept separate from the interior air. The probem is a minor concern, that the screens are going to cause a small restriction in air flow and could cause a less than clean burn which can increase te CO...but this outside the RV. If you had a cracked or rusted-through heat exchanger you could get combustion air into the heated space.

Ken
Old 01-05-2005, 05:36 PM   #13

Thanks Ken, I understand the concern now.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:18 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Erich,
the vents you see on the outside of the furnace are for combustion air. That means that a flame needs air to live and so air is taken in from outside, used to support the fire and then exhausted outside. The outside air is not used at anytime inside. The inside air is just recirculated over the heat exchanger over and over. The heat exchanger (an enclosed combustion chamber) has the fire inside and the living area air is just heated by this "hot box". The mud dobbers get into the combustion chamber side of things (when the furnaces are not needed) and could even build their nests on the blower wheel causing it to be unbalanced and cause quite a ruccas. If the nest is not too big and not on the blower wheel you could break it apart and use air pressure to blow out the debris from the combustion chamber and vent tubes. I would try to blow into the opposite side where you find the nest with your endiscope so as not to drive the debris into the burner area. Good luck and keep us posted.
P.S. I see nothing wrong with using the screens to cover the furnace vent in the off season; just remove before firing up the furnaces for the first time. After that they will not have much time to build inbetween cycles of heat

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote