Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #15

Grand Design Owners Club
Exactly. My wife is pushing for dishwasher. Although that may actually use less water than hand washing.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #16

Black tank dump.

I Boondock on my undeveloped property. Built a nice camp area. I carry water from various sources. I dump gray water on the property.

I do not need A/C so a generator is all I need a few hours per day.

The biggest issue I have is the black tank. I have a 35 gallon tote to dump the 1st time black tank fills up. Then the next time I call a truck to pump out both the tote and the trailer.

If you boondock where you need A/C you have to find a cooler place.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Yes, I meant what would the top 3 be for other types of camping, other than boondocking?
As someone who very seldom does anything except boondocking/dry camping, there are probably others who can answer this better than I. However, I don't think the boondocking priorities will be a detriment.

I was thinking that if one always stayed in developed parks with full hookups there would be unlimited electrical power, water, and sewage available at the site. Other needs such as propane, laundry facilities, etc would be available nearby. Thus onboard quantities needed for boondocking would not be as critical. Perhaps storage would become more important.

Developed park full hookup campers, please correct me where/if I'm wrong.

For us, when boondocking the grey tank always fills first. If your tanks are at the same horizontal level there is a third valve available that will provide a gravity transfer of liquid from the grey tank to the black and extend the time between dumps.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Oh, but you didn't read Rule #1 on the other thread....#1 Whatever the DW wants...I assume DW means the boss.
DW is 'devoted wife'. I'm not sure I understand the question for sure. We only boon dock when the power goes out. We are full timers and have no desire to boon dock. For us the washer dryer are must haves. We hate going to the Laundromat. And as my wife says 'If you need the laundry compartment for storage, you have to much crap'.

But when boondocking the tank capacity will be your limiting factor.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
Exactly. My wife is pushing for dishwasher. Although that may actually use less water than hand washing.
Our Fisher Paykel dishwasher drawer uses 2.8 gallons of water per load on the longest setting. A full load is all of the days dishes if using regular plates, etc.
It would be hard to hand wash everything on 2.8 gallons.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #20

In order of importance

(1) Beer
(2) Barbecue Grille
(3) Meat for Barbecue Grill

And if there is a 4 and 5

(4) Toilet Paper
(5) Some form of shelter
Old 03-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #21

Our alternative to washing dishes when boondocking/dry camping is paper, plastic, and the microwave. There will be a pot or skillet sometimes, but very limited. Then again, we're never home until dark. I'm sure it would be very different for us in a park.

Steve
Old 03-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #22

I'll add a gas/electric fridge to the list. Residential units are great but for dry camping we did not want to be chasing an energy plan every day nor spend thousands on upgraded batteries, solar, etc. We also didn't want to have to run a generator any more than necessary to charge our phones, cool down the coach in the evening, etc. For us, not having to worry about the power draw of an electric only fridge was a big deal.
Redbaron32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron32 View Post
I'll add a gas/electric fridge to the list. Residential units are great but for dry camping we did not want to be chasing an energy plan every day nor spend thousands on upgraded batteries, solar, etc. We also didn't want to have to run a generator any more than necessary to charge our phones, cool down the coach in the evening, etc. For us, not having to worry about the power draw of an electric only fridge was a big deal.
Amen to that.

Steve
Old 03-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #24

Yes, a fridge that can use propane is a must. I don't care how luxurious a 5th wheel is, I don't want a residential fridge.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
So with either type of frig, are they just off while you're driving down the road?
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #26

Quote:
So with either type of frig, are they just off while you're driving down the road?
Yes. But at that point it's like a cooler. Everything stays cold till you get to your stop.
Once I turn the fridge off when we leave I make it a point to not open the door again.
Some people will leave the propane open and the fridge running which would be illegal when going to a gas station.
And stupid.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Yes. But at that point it's like a cooler. Everything stays cold till you get to your stop.
Once I turn the fridge off when we leave I make it a point to not open the door again.
Some people will leave the propane open and the fridge running which would be illegal when going to a gas station.
And stupid.
And when you get back home and put the RV is "storage" for days, weeks, or months, do you plug them in to keep the running or shut it all down?
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #28

Quote:
And when you get back home and put the RV is "storage" for days, weeks, or months, do you plug them in to keep the running or shut it all down?

Depends on how soon we go camping again. But I usually unplug it.