Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #29

Another vote for a surge protector-whether a portable or hard wire, Don't leave home without it!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SouthernNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #30

12 pack and a bottle of jegger - you will need - i promise

Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Extra set of keys in case you lock youreslf out.
Been there. Done that.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Number 1 must have. ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE We purchased Good Sam's roadside assistance 10 years ago when our rig was brand new and we were going on our first 8,ooo mile trip. Ten years later and the truck now has 200,000 miles on the odometer, the roadside assistance has been used several times. The peace of mind is priceless. Our problems have always been solved quickly and we were back on the road shortly. The only real delay was when we arrived late for the irv2 rally in Williams AZ in 2010 due to a blown seal in the transmission in Colorado. March 2011 it was a failed water pump on the truck (at 174,000 miles--original equipment). We spent the night in the parking lot of the repair shop and were back on the road before lunch the next day.

The rest of the stuff you may forget you can obtain at Walmart etc.

p.s. Ditto the keys, I locked us out twice, once in the rain. Make sure the extra keys are where you can get to them easily.

Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan View Post
If you have a 50 A service in your 5'er, Yes. With a dogbone, it works on 30A campground services too. (if that wasn't already apparent)

And I'd reccomend the Progressive Industries models. Very good product, even better support. And they are in your home state of NC. Buy local.
I'm looking to purchase surge protection for my MH, 50 Amp.

The dealer recommended the 50 Amp hardwired surge protector or the portable version.

Not knowing anything I wanted to do some research before buying one and I'm reading more people are recommending the Progressive. My question is which one?

Progressive Industries 50 amp Hardwire Surge Protector
Progressive Industries 50 Amp Hardwired Integrated Display EMS-LCHW50C

Is there any difference between the hardwired and the portable units?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #34

Excel Owners Club
Good idea about extra set of keys but better idea is to install a keyless entry door lock. We did this two years ago and one of the best add-on decisions we made. We installed this one and have never had a problem with it

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...entry-lock.htm

Beth
-----------------------
Life is Good!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
I'm looking to purchase surge protection for my MH, 50 Amp.

PM sent.
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by didymop View Post
Good idea about extra set of keys but better idea is to install a keyless entry door lock. We did this two years ago and one of the best add-on decisions we made. We installed this one and have never had a problem with it
Beth
-----------------------
Life is Good!
our new truck has that built in and have used it already
Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #37

Surge protector is a must, built in is the best, but portable will work just fine, water pressure regulator, get a good one that will not restrict water flow. I carry a propane torch and use that to disinfect the water spigot, I don't worry about how old the bleach is, or whether the peroxide has passed it's use date. Started using the torch after watching the water agency use it to disinfect the spigots before testing the water.
Bring a good attitude and have fun, anything you forget, you'll bring next time
Old 09-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #38

Newbie to the RV Thing

Re surge protector discussion...I assume the use is between power source and RV?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesider View Post
Re surge protector discussion...I assume the use is between power source and RV?
Lakesider, yes, between the power source and the RV. Before hooking to the power source, shut off the main breaker for the RV, then, at least for me, I check the power source, make sure it's properly grounded, has the correct voltage etc, then shut the breaker off at the power source box, plug in, turn the power on at the source, check my surge protector, if everything ok, then I turn the breaker back on at the RV. Maybe a little anal, but I've seen wonky power boxes at plenty of RV parks.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
Our first time out in our first rig was in our backyard. If we found out we forgot something, it was an easy trip to go get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
Notepad and pencil to be used for everything you forgot on your first trip, as well as a to do list. Congratulations on your new rig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Perhaps the best suggestion yet
I use a dry erase pen and write on my mirrors what I have forgotten or need and the time of day I take meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Extra set of keys in case you lock youreslf out.
Been there. Done that.
I have a spare set on a wire loom in my engine compartment.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #41

On the subject of disinfecting the faucet.....

I run a municipal water treatment facility and environmental laboratory. The quickest and easiest way to disinfect (in this case sterilize) the faucet is with a propane torch. Let the water run for a couple minutes before you start to flush out the faucet and piping. Shut off the water flow. Light the torch and run the flame back and forth over the faucet several times. The idea is to only heat the end of the faucet where you connect, not burn the whole faucet and piping. Point the flame upward into the faucet connection. Again, this is just a quick back and forth over the faucet connection area. You're not trying to solder pipe. Just applying a quick and intense heat. About 10 seconds.

You can do it with a 10:1 mixture of bleach to water, but it has to sit for a few minutes and the solution will dissipate rapidly. It's also quite corrosive if it leaks.

You could also use hydrogen peroxide, but it also needs to sit on the surface for a few minutes, it also dissapates rapidly over time once opened, it has an expiration date and it's also quite corrosive if it leaks.

Hey, even alcohol works, but takes contact time. And I ain't gonna waste my Grey Goose on no stinkin' faucet!!!!

You can also use a lighter, but the flame is not as intense and not as easy to direct.

But since most people carry a portable propane grill along, buying a cheap torch attachment is easy to carry and doesn't take up much room.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #42

I am going to guess it does not work well with plastic faucets...