Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #1

Must haves

we are new to RVing, just purchased Grand Design 369RL 5th wheel , we don't plan on full timing in it but do plan a lot of extended vacations, we've been buying a lot new things for it as the DW does not want to be packing things back and forth from the house, my question is what are the things I should not leave home without, what things should I include to just make things easier

Thanks John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
good tires no more the 5-7 years old regardless of appearence
TPMS
Basic tool set
dry camp/live in your RV in your yard for a few days..what you have to run to the house or garage for, you will need to take with you,, lol.. this really works!

Good luck, welcome and enjoy!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
good tires no more the 5-7 years old regardless of appearence
TPMS
Basic tool set
dry camp/live in your RV in your yard for a few days..what you have to run to the house or garage for, you will need to take with you,, lol.. this really works!

Good luck, welcome and enjoy!

we did do the in your yard camping sort of, we don't have a place to store it currently at our house until the new driveway is done so we took it up to the fairgrounds for a few days only a couple of miles away
Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

Make sure you have good coverage with insurance for RV roadside assistance is a must. We have new 13 but had a flat on current trip and our coverage took care of everything but fixing flat.

We have been camping for years and still find things we need to add plus things we don't use but thought we needed that we removed. Every trip is different. Basic kitchen items, tools, outdoor grill ( we have the travel Coleman works great and folds flat for storage) We also like rope lights to go around camper beautiful at night. Leveling blocks along with a few 1X10x14 boards as blocks are sometimes to much, found that out the hard way. Then just relax and ENJOY!!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #5

Set it up pretty much like a second home, full cooking items, linens, cleaning supplies (vacuum cleaner), some toiletries, first aid kit, sat. receiver. Also outdoor chairs, rug, etc. Finally setup items, tools and some repair items like roof patch tape, We keep it stocked with clothes, but will rotate summer and winter items as needed. Some non perishable food items.

When it is time to go, we just load up fresh food items, prescription drugs and laptop and replenish things like soap, paper towels, TP, etc.

Also carry an empty 5 gal water container (strapped to top of front storage compartment) and if we anticipate dry camping I will throw in the portable generator.

In the truck I carry a lot more tools including an 8 ton bottle jack, air compressor, battery charger and spare fuel filters.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
1. credit card
2. Another credit card
3. coffee pot
4. cork screw
5. water thief
6. Chocks and blocks
7. good sense of humor

The rest you'll figure out as you go along - it's part of the adventure

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
My favorite is plastic plates and coffee cups and tumblers. Not the cheap stuff, but the really nice stuff. (on sale) It is unbreakable and lighter weight.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Get yourself a Progressive Industries Surge/Power protector - sized for your RV, of course. For a few hundred dollars you'll save yourself THOUSANDS of dollars of fried equipment. Ours has saved us on numerous occasions. Whether portable or hard-wired, wouldn't have an RV without one.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #9

just put a set of extra long battery jumper cables made from welding lead, went to pick it up at the storage, hooked it up then the auto leveling system said low battery and would not come all the way up, then I was screwed because I could no longer unhook because 1 jack was 3/4 up and the other was 1/4 up. Had to walk home and get the car and jumper cables, lucky for us it's only a couple of miles away
Old 07-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Get yourself a Progressive Industries Surge/Power protector - sized for your RV, of course. For a few hundred dollars you'll save yourself THOUSANDS of dollars of fried equipment. Ours has saved us on numerous occasions. Whether portable or hard-wired, wouldn't have an RV without one.

Lori-

x2.

I fried a TV before i got my surge protector (Surge Guard). It has a relay that opens up upon reversed polarity, loose neutral, or if power dips below 102V or above 132V. Once normal conditions are restored, it will wait 2.5 minutes before resetting itself. This protects you against a flapping power condition (on-off-on-off, etc.) I cannot tell you how many times I've been in a campground where power has dropped out; not due to a power failure, but low or high voltage spikes caused the surge protector to open up. I even had a intermittent neutral at one CG. It really does save your stuff. Worth every $$$$.

I've looked at the Grand Design website a few times over the last few weeks. they look like very nice units --- Good Luck

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post
just put a set of extra long battery jumper cables made from welding lead, went to pick it up at the storage, hooked it up then the auto leveling system said low battery and would not come all the way up, then I was screwed because I could no longer unhook because 1 jack was 3/4 up and the other was 1/4 up. Had to walk home and get the car and jumper cables, lucky for us it's only a couple of miles away
Sounds like you might want to invest in a solar maintenance charger to keep your batteries up while in storage.

Someone mentioned an 8-ton bottle jack. Make that a 2-stage bottle jack. We had owned our 5er for 2 months when we blew a tire. I got out my bottle jack and 4X4s to crib up the jack and placed the jack under the frame (per 5er instructions). Got the tire off ok, but couldn't raise the 5er high enough to get the new one on. Had to get the truck jack out and between the 2 jacks got it high enough. Oh yeah - try jacking up the 5er before you hit the road.

Jim
Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvir View Post
Sounds like you might want to invest in a solar maintenance charger to keep your batteries up while in storage.

Someone mentioned an 8-ton bottle jack. Make that a 2-stage bottle jack. We had owned our 5er for 2 months when we blew a tire. I got out my bottle jack and 4X4s to crib up the jack and placed the jack under the frame (per 5er instructions). Got the tire off ok, but couldn't raise the 5er high enough to get the new one on. Had to get the truck jack out and between the 2 jacks got it high enough. Oh yeah - try jacking up the 5er before you hit the road.

Jim

have a solar charger on it, must not be working, it came with a 12 volt plug as well as clamps so I installed a 12 volt socket to make hook up easier, how can I check to see if it's charging
Old 07-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #13

You can find most of these items cheaper at places other than Camping World...

These are great additions and will help keep your RV clean and traveling user friendly....the PrestOFit Mat is the best quality we have found and stores easily...the Karpet tacks are the best around for ease of use...the awning items are a must especially if you go to any lakes or sand dunes where the wind can come up suddenly:
Prest-O-Fit Patio Rug 8' x 20' - Product - Camping World
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m?skunum=18518
Prest-O-Fit Jumbo Wraparound+Plus RV Step Rugs - Product - Camping World
Awning De-Flapper MAX - Camco 42251 - Awning Accessories & Hardware - Camping World
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...s/skunum=2359:
RV bookstore - the world's largest online RV bookstore
Foot Pads from Ultra Fab on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

I have one of these water bags also as we "dry camp" and require extra water at times when in the mountains or at the sand dunes:
Portable RV Fresh Water Tank: 45 Gallon - New World CW1605 - Fresh Water Tanks - Camping World
One of these is handy also a "wheeless creeper":
Product: Workmat Wheel-Less Creeper — 49in. Length
I also use this for trailer and truck tires as air pressure is so important when towing:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...26452:src=CROS
Believe or not the Duraflame Logs you can purchase at Wal-Mart burn better and pollute less than wood we use these all the time due to ease of use and hauling them in the RV is easy:
Duraflame® | Fire Logs, Firestarters, Accessories & Charcoal Briquets
Two 12V Deep Cycle Batteries at minimum as large as possible and this fill system:
Qwik-Fill Dual 12-Volt Battery Watering System - Flow-Rite Controls MP-2000 - Battery Accessories - Camping World
Also use some Battery Equaliser in your batteries for max life:
Battery Equaliser Doubles Battery Life - for Auto, Boat, Golf Cart, Motorcycle, Solar, Truck, RV, Forklift, Floor Cleaner and all Lead Acid Batteries
Tools: Double Bit Axe, Smaller but long handle shovel, Smaller but long handled rake, Fire Poker, Hot Dog Sticks (Metal), Large Ball Peen hammer or small sledge, Cordless Drill with Multi Bit Set, 1/2" Battery operated Impact Wrench for changing trailer, atv, or truck tires (you want to change tires as efficiently as possible if you are hanging out in the road way)I also use mine to help other people change tires on the road or at the camp (insure you have the correct size sockets for all the wheels), Sears Craftsman 150-200 Tool set/kit with metric and standard, Brake Adjusting Tool to adjust brakes on your RV, Electrical Connector Kit with 12V Tester and extra fuses for everything, All of the Manuals for the RV Accessories (They can all be downloaded on line if they didn't come with the RV), Extendable Magnet for retrieving nuts or bolts dropped, Full set of Metric and Standard nuts bolts in plastic cases, O-Ring Kit Metric at minimum
Amenities: 12V Fan, Padded Inserts for 14" X 14" Fans/Vents, Sun Block Panels for entrance doors to block out light at Wal-Mart parking lots (if you overnight there) and heat in the summer, "Seal Tape" in case of a Propane Leak (Home Depot has this item) it got me through a trip until I could repair properly, also Teflon Pipe Sealant.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #14

The best chairs out there, light and simple:
Coleman Aluminum Deck Chair - Walmart.com
Amazon.com: Onway Designer's Aluminum Folding Deck Chair with Side Table - Grey: Sports & Outdoors

Another very important item...that will save you grief and your awning in a sudden wind burst:
Amazon.com: Camco 42593 RV Awning Anchor Kit with Pull Tension Strap: Automotive