Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #1

We have just purchased our first 5er and one of the main reasons we did was so we could (more easily than with our pop-up) travel and see as much of the US as possible.

We are a family of 4, with 10 year old girl twins. For our first vacation in our Cruiser we want to stay within a couple days drive from our home in Houston. We are very interested in natural wonders and scenic beauty. Of course we have to choose something that 10 year olds will be interested in seeing.

Can anyone give us some idea's of must see attractions in New Mexico. We did consider driving to the Grand Canyon in northern Arizona but decided for our first adventure we did not want to wander that far. Colorado is also on the agenda for a future trip.

Any New Mexico ideas would be appreciated.

tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #2

We have just purchased our first 5er and one of the main reasons we did was so we could (more easily than with our pop-up) travel and see as much of the US as possible.

We are a family of 4, with 10 year old girl twins. For our first vacation in our Cruiser we want to stay within a couple days drive from our home in Houston. We are very interested in natural wonders and scenic beauty. Of course we have to choose something that 10 year olds will be interested in seeing.

Can anyone give us some idea's of must see attractions in New Mexico. We did consider driving to the Grand Canyon in northern Arizona but decided for our first adventure we did not want to wander that far. Colorado is also on the agenda for a future trip.

Any New Mexico ideas would be appreciated.

tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #3

I planning a similar trip we are going to Carlsbad. I am picking up my 10 yr old in Katy, then driving up to Abilene. About 9 hrs I think. Only negative is i45 and Dallas but the other opinion is using I 10 to Fort Stockton but you still have to deal with 1 10 and San Antonio. Anyway 1st night we are staying at Campground Name: Abilene KOA
Campground's website: ttp://www.koa.com/where/TX/43101/index.htm.

Then we are staying at Campground Name: Carlsbad KOA Campground's website: http://www.carlsbadrv.com/pages/655743/index.htm

Then to Amarillo to hike in Palo duro Canyon

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...palo_duro/#fac

I saw this and thought it would be a fun thing for my daughter and I
Another popular attraction at the canyon is the Cowboy Morning Breakfast, hosted by the Figure 3 ranch. Here you can take a 20-minute morning ride across the prairie on team-drawn wagons to a campsite perched on the rim of the Palo Duro Canyon. On arrival you are greeted with hot coffee, sourdough biscuits, and sausage and eggs, all prepared by real cowboys " just like during the cattle roundups of yesteryear. After this wonderful breakfast, the fun begins with demonstrations of roping, branding, and the famed cow-chip-throwing contest. The Figure 3 ranch is also where the closing scene of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" was filmed. Bring your jacket, as it's still cool at sunup. Call (800) 658-2613 for reservations.

I know this not in New Mexico but it would make great short trip
Old 01-08-2006, 11:31 AM   #4

We really liked the area around Taos. The terrain is neat and quite a change for us Florida flatlanders. Nearby Rio Grande gorge is spectacular. Have fun.
Bob

NE Florida
Bob Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #5

I ordered a vacation guide to New Mexico prior to our trip last fall. There is so much to see and do there we just touched the surface. Truth or Consequences (Hot Springs) is a neat day trip. I guess it meant more to me because the VietNam memorial traveling wall resting place is on the grounds of the veterans home there. White Sands is great! Here you are in the middle of barren desert, and just off the highway are these pure white hills of sand. Kids were sledding down the slopes while Mom and Dad were picnicing just outside their RV. You can't overnight there though. There is so much more in the vacation guide.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #6

Southern New Mexico:
- White Sands (It's just too cool - when it's not hot!)
Alamogordo, NM (http://www.alamogordo.com/tourism/attractions.html)
- Carlsbad Caverns (see above)
- Elephant Butte Lake SP (see all of NM's state parks at: http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/nmparks/ )

We live in Albuquerque and travel around the state a bit. We have stayed in a nicer park in Alamogordo: (http://www.roadrunnercampground.com/) - Clean with friendly people.

If you want more information, let me know. Welcome to the "Land of Enchantment".

Juan

2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW HO/6 SPD B&W+Companion, Prodigy, Line-X, Pac Brake
JRMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:46 PM   #7

Check out the mountains ..............
Ruidoso in the south central area of NM, or Red River-Taos-Angel Fire in the NE part of the state. Santa Fe is also a great place to visit.

Grandpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:56 AM   #8

From Houston to New Mexico, I'd go I-10 to Ft. Stockton, then to Calrsbad. See the Caverns, but the KOA in Carlsbad is way better than anything in White's City.

Then up to Roswell, see the UFO museum there, then to Ruidoso. Ck out the sites there.

From Ruidoso go to Cloudcroft, then down to White Sands (easier route than the reverse).

From White Sands go to Alburqurque, up to Santa Fe then to Taos.

While at Taos go west and ck out the Grand Canyon of the Rio Grande, then back to Taos and on to Eagles Nest and on to Cimeron (sp).

Then back down US 287 to Amarillo and Palo Duro Canyon.

I think you'll have a vacation to remember.

I've pulled that whole route, and given you the easiest pulling.

Congrats on your new Cruiser, I have the 2006 Crossroads Cruiser CT28FB and I'm really enjoying it. It's a real upgrade from the Nomad that I pulled over this route that I just gave you.

Russ & Kay
Ft. Worth, Tx.

2006 Crossroads Cruiser CT-28FB
kw5kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:02 AM   #9

On the way to New Mexico, stop and stay at Davis Mountains State Park in Fort Davis TX. Get off I-10 at Balmorea and go south a few dozen miles to get to Ft. Davis. While there visit the Fort Davis fort in town and the McDonald Obervatory a short drive west of the state park. Balmorea has a SP with scuba diving but not as nice a campground (stay at Davis Mountains SP)

Another route from Houston that will get you there is travel US Highway 90 west from San Antonio instead of I-10. If you travel 90 then some stops are;
* good food at: Sammy's Restaraunt in Castroville,
Herman Sons' Steakhouse in Hondo,
Evett's BBQ in Uvalde (closed Mondays) (next to HEB store)
* The Alamo Movie set at Bracketville(John Wayne's-The Alamo made there),(a little pricey, but they have the
ALAMO recreated and a western town. Many movies made there still.
* Judge Roy Bean Museum and rest area near Comstock (free),
* Seminole Canyon State Park near Comstock (great tour of 4000 year old cave pictographs) nice camping.
* "Marfa Lights" viewing center operated by TEXDOT east of Marfa (best times are sunset to midnight) free

then up to Fort Davis. Good food in Fort Davis is Pop's Diner.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:15 AM   #10

How about the area locally around Santa Fe?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:51 PM   #11

Well, Santa Fe is Santa Fe. There are lots of good art galleries, and lots of local flavor around the plaza, but if you are going to buy, bring lots of cash.

Los Alamos isn't too far away, and I like Taos which is about an hour's north (Go to US 64 and drive a few miles west to the Taos Gorge bridge). Taos is a pretty eclectic town, too. Consider the drive to Angle Fire from Taos - they have a wonderful Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Albuquerque is an hour south of Santa Fe.

Give me some ideas of what you like or like to do and what time of year and I can give you more ideas.

Juan

2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW HO/6 SPD B&W+Companion, Prodigy, Line-X, Pac Brake
JRMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #12

Go to Taos and drive east on US 64 over to Raton. Nice scenic travel. Watch for the wildlife. They think they own the roads.

Stop in Raton at the NRA Whittington Center.

Take a trip UP Capulin Volcano. You can leave your trailer at the visitor center.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #13

We ill only be there for 4 days toward the last of June. Thursday through Monday. Would like to get the most out of it without a lot of driving. We have never been there and I have a interest that leans toward history and the older sections. I also have an interest in Indian culture.