Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #1

Musty smell

We just bought a good used 29' Keystones Sprinter fifth wheel, it is in great shape but the previous owners had a bowl of mouth ball's in the sink and the camper is smelly with a musty/mothballs smell..... We are in Northern Vermont so our season has not started yet. We open the Windows and doors on nice days but it still smells musty. Any thoughts on how to make it smell fresh again.....
Thanks
Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On a very hot sunny day open all the windows, spray all exposed fabric and carpeting with Febreze, get one or two fans to make it feel windy inside the RV, and let it all dry out.

You can also wipe down all hard surfaces, (walls, ceiling, counters, cabinets, floors), with appropriate cleaners.

That should do the trick.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #3

I also use those Airwick plug-in fresheners that heat up scented oil. Whenever my RV smells musty, they do a pretty good job of making it smell nice.
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:35 AM   #4

Thanks folks, it's so nice to have a forum to get advice from!!!!
Old 04-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #5

Mine was smelling a bit musty (no moth balls, thank heaven!) and after vacuuming, cleaning and it would still be a bit musty, I had a carpet cleaner clean all the carpets and all the valences, and everything cloth. No more musty-ness!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #6

My 5th wheel had a musty smell since we bought it used. I just bought one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and just tried it yesterday and must say I was very impressed. Use caution with these things. Like many things Ozone can be harmful in high concentrations. I did a one hour treatment and then aired it out with a fan. When I went out this morning the musty smell was almost gone...true night and day difference. I am probably going to do a few more one hour treatments but I felt it was phenomenal. Just make sure you don't over do it. They only recomment one hour at a time and avoid breathing it in in those concentrations. You can read the reviews and decide for yourself but like I said for $60 something bucks it seems great.

Steve
Old 04-20-2015, 02:15 AM   #7

Remove Odor | Eliminate Odor | Odor Remover df

I've used the AQM packetins or rental properties, automobiles and campers, always works
Old 05-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #8

Avon has a product called Skin So Soft - freshens things up and as a bonus, keeps bugs away!
Old 05-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #9

Have you run water down sinks and shower to fill up the traps in case some smells are coming from the grey tank
Old 05-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Have you run water down sinks and shower to fill up the traps in case some smells are coming from the grey tank
We Northern Vermonters are just beginning to feel it is safe to de-winterize. We still had freezing weather 2 weeks ago.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwire View Post
We just bought a good used 29' Keystones Sprinter fifth wheel, it is in great shape but the previous owners had a bowl of mouth ball's in the sink and the camper is smelly with a musty/mothballs smell..... We are in Northern Vermont so our season has not started yet. We open the Windows and doors on nice days but it still smells musty. Any thoughts on how to make it smell fresh again.....
Thanks
Ken
We buy boxes of Fresh Cab Rodent Repellant and use liberally in our fifth wheel over the winter. If smells good in the spring as Fresh Cab is mostly essential oils. I forgot to put some in my battery compartment and something chewed up a couple of boxes to make a nest there.
I never use moth balls in the living area, but I do put some in the basement storage along with some Fresh Cab. No sign of rodents there.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #12

KANBERRA GEL 524001 Natural Air Purifier Gel, 2-Ounce
by KANBERRA GEL
35 customer reviews
List Price: $19.99
Price: $17.88 & FREE Shipping

I bought two of these from Amazon.com and put them in the used fifth wheel we bought.. a week later the musty odors were gone and stayed gone.. I thought they were pricy but then it was worth it to us in the end.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #13

We were having a rotten smell issue last summer and someone suggested it might be the gray tank or sink trap. We bought some RV gray tank treatment, used it and it took care of the problem.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:22 AM   #14

Been there. Water damage somewhere.

RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell