Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #15

Guys I need to call the tire place and order something buy I don't know a from b with these tire manufacturers. If it helps my wildcat has a GVWR of 8600#.

Thanks
Mm
MightyMax2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #16

Well like everything I read a ton of opinions and had to decide on something with little experience. So I'm going with the Maxxis D rated which seems to have had some decent reviews and opinions. They are also rated at near 2300 or 2500 and I calculated about 1800#/tire. The only thing I asked the shop is if their was any kind of tire pressure sensor and they didn't know if there was something for 5th wheels since the signal has to be transmitted to the cab. They are going to check but if anyone has heard of something please let me know...

Thanks
MM
Old 05-20-2014, 05:58 AM   #17

You can get any number of tire pressure monitoring systems. They will transmit the distance to your cab.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMax2Go View Post
Well like everything I read a ton of opinions and had to decide on something with little experience. So I'm going with the Maxxis D rated which seems to have had some decent reviews and opinions. They are also rated at near 2300 or 2500 and I calculated about 1800#/tire. The only thing I asked the shop is if their was any kind of tire pressure sensor and they didn't know if there was something for 5th wheels since the signal has to be transmitted to the cab. They are going to check but if anyone has heard of something please let me know...

Thanks
MM
TIRE PRESSURE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (TPMS)
The Maxxis tires are made in Thailand with a higher standard of quality control and are a good, cost effective choice.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMax2Go View Post
Ok they were Marathons, told the guy to cancel the order but now I need to tell him what to order. He told me a few names & one that he carries In shop is Maxis. The others he would need to order Carlyle, GreyMax, Galaxy, Cooper, Triangle??? Please let me know guys ;-)

Nothing wrong with GY marathons. Northwood builds some of the best TT's and 5th wheels there are and GY marathons are stock tires on them. I've run Thons on my last Tt and now have them on my 5'er. 10,000 miles on the TT before trading it on the 5'er that now has 5000+ miles on it. Plenty of tire left. FYI they're 225/75/15D. The 5'er has 7300lbs on the axles so plenty of weight to spare. You might be interested in this thread.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Good Year Marathon 225/75R15 Tires

Also ST tires are rated for 65 mph max. Running over that is what causes problems. Also running maxed out on weight and with low psi hurts them too. Problem with the internet is everyone has an issue and it's always negative. There's no section for good things happening. People come on here with their problems so that's all you read about.

FWIW Maxxis are just as good or better. Depending on how much you tow the tires may have to be replaced before they wear out. Most tire manf recommend replacement after 5-7 years. So whether you buy the best or cheaper ones they may need replacing. I certainly wouldn't buy the most expensive tire just to have it sit and rot.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #20

I am not sure any trailer tire wears out for most of us. I replaced my China tires at one year because I was about to embark on a 6,000 mile trip to the south west and didn't want to chance blow outs. I replaced the 225/75/15D with Maxxis 225/75/15E for extra margin and they probably have 8,000 miles on them now with no signs of wear. At 3 or 4 years, I will probably replace them with Maxxis again.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #21

Well got her back from the shop last night and made it back into the driveway a little better then my first day. I did mange to ding up the tailgate when the king pin on the slider slid back :-(. Oh well I will eventually get the plastic tail guards anyway.

On another note we are starting to clean her up for our maiden voyage and were wondering if the fridge stays on when driving? We have it working when we are plugged up but I wasn't sure if it ran off the battery when the 5er is in motion?

Thanks
MM
Old 05-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #22

It runs off gas when not on shore power...mine runs all the time, I don't turn my gas off...it switches to electric when I plug in. YMMV

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:52 AM   #23

Some say that it stays cold enough for several hours to just shut it off and turn off the propane tanks as well. My wife isn't buying it and we run down the road with the fridge on propane.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #24

Ok I've been screwed! Damn we were cleaning the 5er last night and when I got to the bunkhouse near the wall edges I noticed that it was softer then the other walls. Not something that was visible or apparent when we inspected it. Then I went to the storage compartment underneath and found more water damage. I then examined every inch of the back wall and found a crack near the edge where water must have be coming in. Now I'm going to have to rip out the bunks and open up the back wall. Damn, I didn't even get her out of the Driveway!

Question, I've done home projects and drywall, etc. However I never worked with Fiberglass before. Once I get to the wood structure is it possible to replace the beams etc without removing the outer shell? Can I use something like Bondo on the inner shell to repair the seam/crack? What about putting some type of liner in the corners or in between the shell and wood in order to prevent future issues? How do I know if the exterior wall is comprised, and if so is it possible to repair from within?

Thanks
MM
Old 05-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #25

*PHEW* some good news... I found a local guy who appears to have lots if experience and looked over my 5er. He said the damage isn't too bad and that he can repair it. He gave me a reasonable figure which I am able to budget and it looks like my family will still be able to enjoy our camper! Boy though that was a scary situation... Do NOT want to repeat that one...

MM

Tags
5th wheel