Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #1

My First 5th Wheel...

Hi all my wife and I have been researching RV's & 5th wheels for the last several months and we are finally ready to take the plunge. We are going to get a used 5er and have started shopping and have been looking at Forest River & Jayco primarily. Yesterday I had some family in FL check out an 03 Cedar Creek bunkhouse. It looks to be in good condition but the window trim appears to be worn and cracking. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1400186864.453315.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	62976
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1400186880.993952.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	62977

Thus I went to check online and found the following video showing how to reset & reseal the windows.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #2

Welcome to weight watchers and I don't mean food plans. You'll probably find yourself looking at the loaded weight of your 5er and the ability of your tow to handle it. Give yourself plenty of margin over the sticker shipping weight. So on to your questions.

An 03 that has been in the Florida sun for a good portion of its life is a candidate for close inspection of all seams. You could do them all at once or a few at a time based on condition. However, it is far better to catch water problems before they happen. Just don't do the dumb thing by slapping silicon in the seams as a short cut.

Also. even though you didn't mention it, the tires need to be inspected and be less than five years old, no matter how good they look.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #3

Hi Nosticks & thanks for the info. In regards to the seams If I go forward with the cedar creek I plan on getting someone to inspect it. That said when you mention seams are you also referring to the seams of the fiberglass or aluminum siding? In regards to procedure aside from the video I linked to and caulking how do I best conserve and/or reseal other seams? If you have any links it would be great!

As for my truck I did a lot of research there as well and ended up with a Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins, so I'm fairly certain I will be ok as long as I stick to a size of 28-31 feet and don't exceed 10k lbs. I need to take my truck to the scales but in general I'm trying to find something around 8-9k lbs.

Thanks for the help
MM
Old 05-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #4

Sounds like you've done your homework on the weight issue. That Ram should handle what you have in mind and then some. By seams, I was addressing the window, door, and storage lockers. Roof seams are another issue. You can check out the Dicor site for imformation. Here are a few sites that you will find helpful over time.

Care | Dicor Products | Official Website
Support - Dometic
DOT codes
Service Documents and Manuals
RV Furnace Trouble Shooting - RV Furnace Trouble Shooting Page
Old 05-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #5

Well I think the misses & I found our trailer this weekend! It's a 2005 Wildcat that is in great shape! The only thing we need to do is get some new tires on there. The trailer is currently on some private land and I think it should be ok to drive a little I order to get her to a place to change the tires. This is the tire size (ST325/75R15) and was just curious as to where most folks go to change their tires? I mean I don't think they are going to place the trailer on a lift, so are their any specialized tools needed?

Thanks
MM
Old 05-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #6

Most tire shops will have you drive up alongside the building, or out in the parking lot--anywhere the truck/trailer will fit without blocking everyone else. Then, they wheel the floorjacks out and place them under the spring plates and raise one side for the tire work. Then a repeat on the other side and off you go. Just be sure they don't place the jacks directly on the alxe tubes.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #7

I'd be hesitant to purchase a fifth wheel fiberglass sided trailer with 15" tires. Most 5er's are relatively heavy and they do better with heavier axles and 16" tires. And I would never purchase another aluminum sided RV of any kind due to leaking issues (on every one built.)

When I get tires, I always mail order them via internet. I'll get them mounted and balanced locally @ $50. It's no big deal to pull a tire off with an air compressor and impact wrench. Every owner needs to be equipped to change a tires.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #8

My fiver with a gross capacity of 10K had D-rated 15" tires. I ordered the same size with Maxxis E-rated from Amazon and had a local shop install. Someone is bound to say something about wheel capacity. I verified mine good for 80 lbs vs 65 lbs for the OEM tires and run the tires at 70-75 lbs for much more capacity without even pushing the limits of my wheels. So even if your wheels were only rated to 65 lbs, 70 lbs would probably not be an issue and you would still have greater capacity.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #9

So I've currently received two quotes for Goodyears with mounting for about $125 per tire. The tires are 8 ply but I'm not sure about speed rating... I don't expect to be going over 65/70 anyway as I've never pulled a 5er have a 2500 single axle not dually & am a scardy cat ;-p

Thanks
MM
Old 05-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #10

Check the roof condition. Many folks do not think to maintain theirs and the sun can do a job. And double check the tires for cracks and age. And if a unit is stored in full sun look for blistering of the fiberglass side walls.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytraveler View Post
Check the roof condition. Many folks do not think to maintain theirs and the sun can do a job. And double check the tires for cracks and age. And if a unit is stored in full sun look for blistering of the fiberglass side walls.

Thanks Grey,

Yeah I walked up on the roof and took a look at all the seams, they all look good, also checked for de lamination and nothing found... Just some tire rot and the owner discounted the price if new tires so I'm good to go!
Old 05-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #12

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMax2Go View Post
So I've currently received two quotes for Goodyears with mounting for about $125 per tire. The tires are 8 ply but I'm not sure about speed rating... I don't expect to be going over 65/70 anyway as I've never pulled a 5er have a 2500 single axle not dually & am a scardy cat ;-p

Thanks
MM
If they are Goodyear Marathon's they are made in China. We call them China Bombs. It's not if they will blow, just when.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #13

Ok so what's a good brand of tire to get? Please... ;-)
Old 05-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #14

My First 5th Wheel...

Ok they were Marathons, told the guy to cancel the order but now I need to tell him what to order. He told me a few names & one that he carries In shop is Maxis. The others he would need to order Carlyle, GreyMax, Galaxy, Cooper, Triangle??? Please let me know guys ;-)

Tags
5th wheel