Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #1

My first (and hopefully last) blowout today

DW and I left Sacramento this morning heading towards Reno on I-80. Eight miles east of Colfax, the passenger side front tire on our Montana decided to blow. We were able to get on the shoulder and stopped within a quarter mile. Put out the triangles and changed it. My spare only had 35 lbs of air in it but thankfully we had invested in a compressor and an inverter for the 5er so we were able to air it up. The blowout Took some of the fender flair off but thankfully, no severe damage. The tread completely separated from the casing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2389.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	732.2 KB
ID:	200632

Carlisle 235/85R16, load range F, 90 lbs of air in each of them this morning before we left. Date code 1115. No weather checking. We traveled about 50 miles before the blowout and were under 65 mph the whole distance. No warning, just BLAM and lots of dust.

We backtracked to Colfax and bought four Goodyear G614 RST load range G tires. Kept two of the Carlisle’s as spares. The Goodyear’s were spendy and I hope worth it in the long run. The Goodyear’s must weigh half again as much as the Carlisle’s. Very heavy tire!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:46 PM   #2

Oh my!! So glad you and your DW are okay! Probably all of our biggest fears!

Whew!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:35 AM   #3

There are those who have had blow outs and those that will. In 5 years I never had a blow out then I had 4 in the last 10 months, including the front dually steer tire, and a trailer tire only 8 months old!! It's a risk that comes with the life style, so always be prepared and practice your emergency plan.
Of our 4 blowouts, 2 were on the FW and 2 were on the pickup. We have TMPS on the trailer but got no warning on either tire and I do check my tire pressure before each trip. The FW wheel wells were damaged, but the plywood used for the inner well was easy to replace. The fender skirts were the only cost involved, RV salvage stores sell them for $25 each.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:01 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I blew all four tires at separate times on one trip in a new 5th wheel early in our rv travels. Even though I made sure the pressures were right the manufacturer put on underrated tires on the rig and every blow was an explosion with damage to the wheel wells. Fortunately I carried a wheel ramp made out of 2x10 s and the rig had a generator. I also carried an impact wrench and the wife and I got pretty quick changing tires. It wasn't always safe ( I75 in FL) but we got the job done. After blowing two tires I stopped and bought two more and it was a good thing I did. It happens but after upgrading the tire ratings it didn't happen anymore. mark ps - The insurance company went after the tire company and somebody ended up paying me back for the cost of tires and wheel well repair.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:04 AM   #5

Were you running a TPMS on the tires. A good investment.

Just a side note. I went through 5 Carlisle tires in 10 months in our early days of RVing. They may have improved since then but I will never use another one of there tires on anything bigger than a wheel barrow. JMO.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I would recommend getting a four corner weight. Time and time again, because a 5th wheel has SO much room, they are over loaded. Wife’s aunt had a 5er, and he had a blow out at least once a year. He changed tire brands, sizes and pressures. Never solved the problem. But she would load every possible thing into that rig she could wedge in it, and then.....nobody was ever going to pass him!
Old 04-27-2018, 07:40 AM   #7

My first (and hopefully last) blowout today

Thanks for the feedback.
No, don’t have TPMS but considering it.
These tires were on the trailer when we bought it. OEM called for E, previous owner put on Fs and now I have upgraded to Gs. We have weighed the trailer before, last year when we started full timing. Probably time to get it done again.

If any of you are towing a 5er, what brand tires do you run after your tire experience?

I guess I should add that we are thankful this happened where it did. Plenty of shoulder for repairs. We’ve traveled more than a few two lane road in the past year, some with no shoulder. Plus we are making our way to Alaska for the summer. Now we have a properly inflated spare and a spare spare for the trailer. Putting on new truck tires when we get to western Idaho in a day or two.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
No, don’t have TPMS but considering it.
These tires were on the trailer when we bought it. OEM called for E, previous owner put on Fs and now I have upgraded to Gs. We have weighed the trailer before, last year when we started full timing. Probably time to get it done again.

If any of you are towing a 5er, what brand tires do you run after your tire experience?
I don't have a 5er but I put a TPMS on the RV, toad and boat, it helps with piece of mind. I also have an IR temperature gauge and check hubs and tires when we stop. It will help you spot problems before it is too late. You learn what is normal and what isn't. My justification was that the TPMS system was cheaper than the damage caused by a blow out. But the TPMS isn't a cure all for sudden tire failures but from what I have read sudden failures are rare. Hope your new tires work better than the old ones.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we bought our 5th I would not leave the dealer's lot until the already new tires were replaced with GY G614 RSTs. No problems yet in four years. I do check my pressures every morning, have a TPMS and watch my total weight and travel under 65.

However, a pot hole or junk on the road can cause a sudden failure without warning. Happened on my truck one day without towing.

Best is to take care of your rig and always be ready for the unexpected.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #10

Never had a tire blow on a camper but with all the talk about tires
Just ordered 5 G614's for my 08 carriage same tire that is on it now $285.00 a tire plus tax
08Carriage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #11

Yep, sounds like a shotgun. Been there done that. Lucky I only have 6,000lb axles so I was able to find Michelin XPS Ribs that fit.

I would try to find LT tires that match the axle rating if your 5th wheel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:32 PM   #12

I'd recommend Sailun from simpletire.com. S637T load range G. That should stop your tire failure problems. It did mine.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote