Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
My first buy - 5th wheel

I need some tips please,,, first thanks for your time. I found 2007 Forest River Wildcat 28RK for sale on Classifieds > RVs - Anyitem.org just $9000 .. it is
very nice 5th wheel and only one owner. The inside look very nice and verything is seem perfect. I did my research and compare the price of the same year and model on other website.. the average price is from $14,000 to $18,000
but this seller only asking for $9000 she is selling it because his HOA complaint too much he can not park on his house,, I think I get a good deal,, However, the seller live 7 hours from my town and he is willing to share any information that I want to know...

Right now I don't know which question to ask the seller,, can you please give me a list of question so I can ask the seller,,, I never buy any RV before so I don't know what to ask.. this is my first time.

hieuvnguyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
First off, welcome to the forum.

I am going to assume that you know all the weight specs of both this fifth wheel you are looking at and your truck, and it is all good. If you don't know this then that is probably the place to start.

I would also want to what, if any modifications the owner has done to the trailer as well as consider the weight impact to unloaded weight of trailer?

Is it winterized, will you be able to test the plumbing when you go to view it?

Are the batteries in it so you can test the 12v systems?

Is power available to test the 120v systems? Maybe you will need to bring a generator to test this?

Is there propane to test the lp systems? Again, you may need to bring a full bottle for testing?

Assuming you have enough photos, can you get a general sense of condition? (did not find it on the link you gave)

How often was the trailer used? When was the wheel bearing service? Any idea of approximate miles of towing? Maybe tires need replacing too?

Will the owner allow you to hook it up and go for a short ride? Is it currently insured and licensed for the road? If not would the owner be willing to obtain a permit for that?

Hope this list helps you out some. Good luck with your purchase.

2008 F450 & 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5K Silver Fox Edition 5th wheel
Paul & Sheryl
SlyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
You may want to find a reputable RV dealer and pay for an inspection. That should at least get the basics verified. The seller should not object unless they have something to hide. Good luck!
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
That is a good price if the unit is in good condition. I would add a good roof inspection is necessary. Since this is a first for you, I would ditto the suggestion of having it looked over by an RV mechanic. If the tires have not been replaced, they will need it by the age. Forest River looks good but does not have a really great reputation. But, you are not paying a lot for it either. Good luck.
2003 Dodge HO 6 speed Laramie Dually, Jordan controller, RDS fuel tank, Air Ride 25K hitch
Carriage 36' fiver, Onan 6500, Prosine 2K inverter, 3 slides, MORyde IS and Kingpin
FiverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
We drove 5 hours and figured it was like $40 A MILE we saved over a closer unit. Actually it was closer to $50 a mile.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
I would hire an rv inspection company and have then go over it. At that price you could afford a professional review.
2009 volvo 780
2014 45ft Continental Coach
2014 smart car convertible 2008 Suzuki 650 Bergman
JC and Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
An inspection is a great idea.
But if you don't be sure to check roof and awning.
I spent $5400 on a new roof for an '07 so check it out!
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
Hi and welcome to the forum.
When I first purchase our first 5er I found this book for sale. I keep a copy in my 5er all of the time and refer to the book several times when doing maintenance on my 5er. Will written with illustrations and photos and this has helped me several times. So here is the link for you to review.
Another link to a DVD that also may help along with other DVDís that you may want to investigate.
Jim W.

Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel