Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2005, 12:02 AM   #1

We have an "Aurora" model Thetford commode in our fiver. Recently the water has been leaking past the seal after you flush. It doesn't do it all the time. I have used a regular bathroom stool brush to possibly remove any paper or debris from the groove. It doesn't seem to help.
Has anyone experienced this problem, and what did you do to remedy it?
Our home is less than a year old and we live in it full time.
Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Paul
2002 F350 4X2 Dually Crew Cab, 7.3L PSD, Western Diesel Gauges - Pyro, Boost and Trans Temp, in a Wood Grain Pillar Mount, 4" Magnaflow Turbo-back Exhaust, 1705 SCMT running in the 60HP mode, Western Diesel Turbo-brake III, Pulling a 2005 Excel 33RDO
BusterPSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2005, 12:02 AM   #2

We have an "Aurora" model Thetford commode in our fiver. Recently the water has been leaking past the seal after you flush. It doesn't do it all the time. I have used a regular bathroom stool brush to possibly remove any paper or debris from the groove. It doesn't seem to help.
Has anyone experienced this problem, and what did you do to remedy it?
Our home is less than a year old and we live in it full time.
Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Paul
2002 F350 4X2 Dually Crew Cab, 7.3L PSD, Western Diesel Gauges - Pyro, Boost and Trans Temp, in a Wood Grain Pillar Mount, 4" Magnaflow Turbo-back Exhaust, 1705 SCMT running in the 60HP mode, Western Diesel Turbo-brake III, Pulling a 2005 Excel 33RDO
BusterPSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:02 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
I will watch this thread,,my thetford is also leaking at the seal..tom
Spudwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:24 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Here's a link to a thread discussing a leak I had in mine last year and how it was finally resolved. I hate plumbing work!
Old 09-13-2005, 06:25 AM   #5

I had this same toilet in my new fifth wheel. It never did work right. I found that by lifting up on the pedel with my foot it would hold water some of the time. I stopped by the factory and after listening to all the remedys that I had tried, they replaced the toilet with a different (newer) model.
raygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #6

I have this also. Very intermittent. I find that if I step on the flush petal and hold it down until water is flowing down the sides of the bowl and release it quickly it will seal and hold water most of the time. Been thinking about replacing it also but haven't yet.

Doug
Old 09-15-2005, 10:57 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Whenever I experience a leaky stool I take a dose of Immodium AD or Kaopectate...
Old 09-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #8

Our Aurora has leaked down from day one. The "foot under pedal"lift works but a nuisance and hurts when barefoot; the sudden release works but will probably damage the mechanicals. I removed the stool and shortened the return spring(very poor quality spring),it's better, but still doesn't hold water every time. Am considering contacting Thetford, but haven't had much luck with Dometic Co. in the past.
Good Luck, Jim
Old 10-04-2005, 06:47 PM   #9

Have you tried to use a tooth brush to clean both sides of the groves that meet and create the seal. If you try this and want to be aloud back in the trailer, use a tooth brush and then toss it. Some one uses by mistake and your leak will be the least of your trouble.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
markclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:29 PM   #10

My mistake- Thetford/Norcold, not Dometic.
Thetford offered to replace stool but would just have the same problem, I think. Had them send a new spring. Took out stool again & installed the new spring. Guess what? Same problem! Frequent lubing with silicone spray will help somewhat.
Jim