Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

My trip and the internet - not compatible

I am going to be on the road in my 5th wheel for about 1.5 to 2 years just visiting the USA. I was born here and my ancestor signed the Declaration Of Independence so i thought i would go see the place for myself and all parts of it including the place where it all happened.

However i have a hobby and a small business that i need internet for and i dont want to leave my customers high and dry, plus i will really miss my hobby.

The small business is programming and the hobby is playing online games with great friends i have known forever.

I looked into internet access on my trip and it appears that i maybe able to check my email or browse a bit but thats about it.

There is only one company that offers true internet satellite for RV's that i know of and thats this one.

https://www.mobilsat.com/RV-satellite/ and they sell their satellite via their other website RV Satellite Internet | RVDataSat for only $6495.00

If you have internet in your RV and your out in the boonies and you get internet from another vendor then they get it from these guys most likely. It just shows up on your bill from your vendor is all.

I can do mobile, wifi, or plug in at the trailer park but all of those choices are overcrowded and slow slow slow, plus none of them allow me to do what i like to do and that is programming, run my test projects and gaming.

Not even the RV satellite lets you game, gaming over the airways is just NOT possible with current technology.

So that would mean that i would not be able to game the whole 2 years that i plan to be on the road. It also means that i have to make a choice between fighting with everyone else on the net for space or getting my own space that i can use anywhere i am parked, even in the boonies. But that choice is $6500.00 plus $500 installation. Im asking myself, is my networking worth that.

I am not going to leave my customers high and dry.

So its either sucky service and fight for space, or great service and pay $7000 to have internet whereever i want that i dont have to share.

It also means that why am i taking my bada$$ desktop computer with me if i cant game and do what i want. I might as well just get a laptop and be able to do nothing but check mail and browse. And then i would not need to build an office desk either...

If your curious, hughesnet does not do mobile, they only do stationary homes. Dish network is a TV company not an internet company. TV signal is one way and its totally different than a data stream which is two way. Any internet you get from companies like dish are slow and pretty much suck other than checking email maybe.

I guess i could stay for a month someplace and get a landline connection for a month, seems a waiste though.

What a pain in the you know what...

I suppose im not the only one struggling with this, has anyone found a good solution for a happy medium?

thanks dave
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:00 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take a look at the mobley from AT&T you can get unlimited data for $20.00 a month. You can find a connector on ebay to plug into 110 to keep your mobley powered.
Markp22459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPatrick View Post
Take a look at the mobley from AT&T you can get unlimited data for $20.00 a month. You can find a connector on ebay to plug into 110 to keep your mobley powered.
Hi, thanks...

the main problem is that wifi is unsecure, not good.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangod View Post
I am going to be on the road in my 5th wheel for about 1.5 to 2 years just visiting the USA. I was born here and my ancestor signed the Declaration Of Independence so i thought i would go see the place for myself and all parts of it including the place where it all happened.

However i have a hobby and a small business that i need internet for and i dont want to leave my customers high and dry, plus i will really miss my hobby.

The small business is programming and the hobby is playing online games with great friends i have known forever.

I looked into internet access on my trip and it appears that i maybe able to check my email or browse a bit but thats about it.

There is only one company that offers true internet satellite for RV's that i know of and thats this one.

https://www.mobilsat.com/RV-satellite/ and they sell their satellite via their other website RV Satellite Internet | RVDataSat for only $6495.00

If you have internet in your RV and your out in the boonies and you get internet from another vendor then they get it from these guys most likely. It just shows up on your bill from your vendor is all.

I can do mobile, wifi, or plug in at the trailer park but all of those choices are overcrowded and slow slow slow, plus none of them allow me to do what i like to do and that is programming, run my test projects and gaming.

Not even the RV satellite lets you game, gaming over the airways is just NOT possible with current technology.

So that would mean that i would not be able to game the whole 2 years that i plan to be on the road. It also means that i have to make a choice between fighting with everyone else on the net for space or getting my own space that i can use anywhere i am parked, even in the boonies. But that choice is $6500.00 plus $500 installation. Im asking myself, is my networking worth that.

I am not going to leave my customers high and dry.

So its either sucky service and fight for space, or great service and pay $7000 to have internet whereever i want that i dont have to share.

It also means that why am i taking my bada$$ desktop computer with me if i cant game and do what i want. I might as well just get a laptop and be able to do nothing but check mail and browse. And then i would not need to build an office desk either...

If your curious, hughesnet does not do mobile, they only do stationary homes. Dish network is a TV company not an internet company. TV signal is one way and its totally different than a data stream which is two way. Any internet you get from companies like dish are slow and pretty much suck other than checking email maybe.

I guess i could stay for a month someplace and get a landline connection for a month, seems a waiste though.

What a pain in the you know what...

I suppose im not the only one struggling with this, has anyone found a good solution for a happy medium?

thanks dave

Hey Dave,

My wife and I are going through the same research process as we prepare to go full time later this year. We both own our own businesses which require substantial internet access.

There is more than one provider. Ground Control and ViaSat offer what is considered blazing "fast" satellite internet service in mobile applications. The equipment cost is high, as is the monthly fees - $600/mo for 20 down/5 up. I'm currently running a half gig line in my house for $130. Haha.

Hughes net does have a partnership with mobile internet satellite and they do claim to offer substantial mobile internet services for a much more reasonable price. I've sent an inquiry note to them. We'll see. Here is the link to them:

http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.c...oppinglist.php

I'm struggling to figure out how we can make full time living a reality If something tangible does not reveal itself. Obviously we'll utilize hotspots and wifi range extenders, but again, if the network is saturated/natively slow, we're SOL.

I'm still researching. I have a couple inquiries out to commercial providers as well to see if there is any room for negotiation, but I'm not holding my breath.

Shocking how non-progressive mobile satellite internet is. Clearly the demand has not been sufficient enough to justify making it more consumer accessible.

Fingers crossed!

-Adam
AdamAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Data security is typically a function of the end point devices ... not the network itself. Lots of industries (including the financial services industry) are providing remote access to mission critical applications via cellular connections. Until my recent retirement - I accessed mission critical applications deep in my organization's data center using a simple VPN connection across a cellular link. Data security is always a concern - but a blanket statement that "wifi is unsecure" is a bit of an over generalization.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #6

Durandgod
I'm retired but love to game. Not having internet access is a concern for me as well. Are there additional cost? Monthly fees etc? if so, how much are those plans?
AdamAnt I agree that it's hard to believe that the industry hasn't made these more affordable.
sforl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Data security is typically a function of the end point devices ... not the network itself. Lots of industries (including the financial services industry) are providing remote access to mission critical applications via cellular connections. Until my recent retirement - I accessed mission critical applications deep in my organization's data center using a simple VPN connection across a cellular link. Data security is always a concern - but a blanket statement that "wifi is unsecure" is a bit of an over generalization.
I would tend to agree with the value of an encrypted VPN. Even in retirement we subscribe.

Perhaps your heading My trip and the internet - not compatible is appropriate if you can't get it done over a cellular LTE plan(s). Some areas more than one plan / carrier is required for modest connectivity. The majority of anywhere you go thinking there might be a stray Wifi hotspot to hijack is very dismal indeed. Even most CGs that advertise "WiFi" have a different connotation than what any techie might envision.
A MH pulls in with all 13 WiFi devices searching for and needing to stream.
We've been kind of shockd how much of the country a short distance off the interstate corridors has no cellular coverage even with several carriers to fall back on. Those coverage maps are BS.
Surely you folks have witnessed the inherent latency (several seconds) involved with celestial / geo-synchronous orbit, right? Gaming, I think not unlimited throughput, uh nope. $7K just for equip.?
Some markets have some fixed point / point wireless alternatives in addition to the DSL and cable other CGs don't have infrastructure for. Most don't like to offer service for short duration like less than several months or require contracts early termination fees..
You may experience severe withdrawal.
BTW: an Intel i7-NUC with a 24"UHD monitor has worked well in the confines of the coach, cool, quiet, compact, not a slouch.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #8

We are connected every day via 4G LTE for work and play. Its perfectly doable. Latency is good enough for me to VPN into the office and RDP to a server all day every day. The DW also streams lectures for school.

I do game a bit - Battlefield 1 mostly. Its hit or miss. Sometimes its just fine! other-times there is too much packet loss for me to have any fun.

I have a Verizon unlimited Data plan, hooked to a Verizon Mifi 6620L, which is connected to a Pepwave Surf SOHO wireless router. We also use a variety of Wilson/Weboost amplifiers and antennas to keep us connected, depending where we are. We use between 150-200GB a month of data between all of the above and Netflix etc.

Again, my daily job requires it, you can do it. It does require some planning - we check coverage maps carefully before we make reservations or find boondocking spots. It also means you basically have to skip all the National parks - they don't have service. We end up parking outside of them and driving in for the day usually.

check out http://rvmobileinternet.com/ Its a great site, behind a paywall, but worth the $50 to really get all of their info.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Who told you that? Wifi can absolutely be secure. I'm an IT guy for a very large company you would recognize, have installed and audited many a wifi installation, it can be done securely.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #10

I agree with Robbieh. We are full timers and we carry our own hotspot and it is secure. The wifi in parks may not be secure but that does not mean it can't be.

I personally have Verizon with a hotspot because they seem to have the most coverage across the country. You may need a booster in some places and in some places you will not get service at all.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 AM   #11

That is great information and thank you all very much.. This is my first real mobile use experience.

I have a android smart phone but never use it other than for emergencies, no contact list, no apps, not much of anything installed on it and i rarely carry it on my person, its in the truck and usually turned off. I have always been a non mobile user and even turned off the remote access to my home modem for security reasons.

I am a php programmer and i do some gaming maps as well for several games. Thankfully at the moment my apps dont require mobile access but the tide is changing on that as with everything else and eventually ill have to accept and code the mobile access or get left behind.

It is good to hear that it is possible and that i have basically been in the dark regarding the security issues. This will be a huge learning curve for me but i think it will come much easier knowing i have a resource like this to ask questions.

Thanks so much.

By the way durangod is short for durango dave... Ill have to add that as my signature.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:52 AM   #12

I hate to say this, but perhaps you need to wait a couple of years until there are better options, such as the One-Web low orbit satellite internet project, their current timeline has them operational by about 2020, so less than 3 years. Either that or wait for the 5G cell network rollout which will likely also happen over the next 3 years.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
I carry access points for both AT&T and Verizon. My work depends on me being able to connect to the internet, because I work from home. There are places where one will work, and one will not.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #14

I paid for my android tracfone for a whole year because i thought thats all i would need was to just keep using it only for emergencies and not for the net.

So how would this work via verizon for example. I would just call verizon and tell them i want an unlimited service plan for the RV?

Can i do this without having to get a new cell phone?

Then when i want to log in i just log into the service right? No cellphone needed right?

UPDATE: OK i think i get it, since i am my own hotspot with the mifi then i can just use it as i would any other hotspot and log in with my desktop...
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling