Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 PM   #1

Well, never fails when I start a job, figured late tonight I would start doing the wiring of the plug for my truck, take the end apart from fifth wheel to see what colours there are, and there on the center one is a yellow wire, I think about a 14 guage, anyway it appears to terminate at the inverter, and it like three others are marked "lights" well what the heck does that mean, it has a 20Amp ATO fuse.
So does power come down it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 PM   #2

Well, never fails when I start a job, figured late tonight I would start doing the wiring of the plug for my truck, take the end apart from fifth wheel to see what colours there are, and there on the center one is a yellow wire, I think about a 14 guage, anyway it appears to terminate at the inverter, and it like three others are marked "lights" well what the heck does that mean, it has a 20Amp ATO fuse.
So does power come down it?

Old 07-29-2005, 02:54 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
It might be for backup lights, if so it goes on terminal #7 in the center of the connector. Click here for a wiring diagram and connection chart.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:59 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
It might be for backup lights, if so it goes on terminal #7 in the center of the connector. Click here for a wiring diagram and connection chart. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply, I figure the black and white heavy wires are the power circuit and that they charge the battery amongst supplying power for running the lights and signals while driving, but the yellow wire seems to go to the inverter if I am correct and it is marked with another three spots that say lights, but I see no evidence of any back up lights, so seems odd they would put it there and not hook it up, I was wondering if they made it the battery charging system, but that does not make sense either.
But I will have to see if I did indeed track down the correct route of the wire, and put power to it and see what happens, just wish I had met who ever sold this rig to see how their truck was wired.
Kinda puts me in the dark, I had no way of towing it at the time so had it delivered.
So until I wire my truck which I am afraid to do in case this wire causes a problem.
I guess I will see what I can figure out.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I would highly recommend that you wire your truck and trailer to the 7-pin RV standard Richard has provided. This is how current pickups and RVs are wired. Adhering to this standard will save you lots of heartache if someone else ever needs to pull your trailer (i.e., truck breakdown) or if you ever need to pull someone else's.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:09 AM   #6

Oh, most definitely I am going to follow the code exactly, don't get me wrong, I understand it has to mate with anybody elses rig too.

But when I came across this yellow wire that appears to have no purpose, and yet seems to be attached to the inverter with a fuse, made me leary of plugging into it when I am done, as I have no idea what they meant it for.

I now know, thanks to help from people here that my info showed orange there, but now I see they did indeed use yellow wire there too, for back up lights I gather.

It must serve a purpose, but I see no lights for it too run.

It is no good once the truck is unplugged and so it is only for when running hooked to tow vehicle obviously.

But I guess I will power it and see what happens.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:06 PM   #7

The RV dealer said to ignore the wire.
So thanks for all the help.
Will see how it goes tonight.