Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #1

NADA value accuracy

Hope you 5ver owners can help with this one. Me and the wife have raised a discussion in the past few days about waiting a few more years to get the perfect rv or just get a used one now just so we can get out there and finally be on our own instead of being stuck with others in there RVs.

As that being said, my actual question is how accurate is the Nada rv values given the option you put in are accurate?

I'm asking because I've located 2 used Montana's that would be great for starters, but as far as I can figure the dealer is 20k under Nada average values for both!!!!!!! If the Nada rv site is accurate, then I found 2 gold mines! Please someone clarify if I'm looking at this correctly.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #2

Did you actually go look at them and inspect them. The Nada value is only an estimate and with an RV there are too many variables for it to be and exact number. A lot has to do with the way it is calculated, for example some RV's Nada price already includes most amenities, and then people add them in which inflates the estimate. The only way you will know if you are getting a good price or a future problem to deal with and spend additional money on, is to do your research, look at as many as you can. Eventually you will know a good deal when you come across it and it most likely will be better through a private party. People who sell their RV's on their own generally have taken excellent care of their RV and will want a good price for it, but don't have the overhead a dealership does. There are exceptions both ways, but do your research and compare apples to apples to find the right combination of brand, floorplan, quality and price for you.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

In the example I gave, I haven't seen them in person yet, but one is a 2011, the other is a 2012. They are 7k apart and as far as I can tell have the same features except interior color. This is why I raised the question. I understand your comment about putting in options already included, but if I go by just the rv, no options at all, it's still 5k over what they are selling either of them for.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Hope you 5ver owners can help with this one. Me and the wife have raised a discussion in the past few days about waiting a few more years to get the perfect rv or just get a used one now just so we can get out there and finally be on our own instead of being stuck with others in there RVs.

As that being said, my actual question is how accurate is the Nada rv values given the option you put in are accurate?

I'm asking because I've located 2 used Montana's that would be great for starters, but as far as I can figure the dealer is 20k under Nada average values for both!!!!!!! If the Nada rv site is accurate, then I found 2 gold mines! Please someone clarify if I'm looking at this correctly.
When we were looking for our coach we saw a few priced at or just below NADA...Those coaches were listed $15,000-$20,000 over what comparable coaches were and were still listed over 6 months later. Prices start going up at the end of February and start coming down in November...at least the RVs we were looking at.
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I would double check to see that the trailer they are advertising is the same one you are pricing on NADA. NADA is generally lower than sellers and dealers are listing their trailers for.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #6

Let's make a presumption here, if the units are what they say they are, and the photos don't lie, and the units are in great shape, the Nada values would be close if not accurate and they should be selling for more than the Nada values. Am I correct in this assumption?
Old 07-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Let's make a presumption here, if the units are what they say they are, and the photos don't lie, and the units are in great shape, the Nada values would be close if not accurate and they should be selling for more than the Nada values. Am I correct in this assumption?
While the NADA guides are an OK place to get some estimated values, I would not put too much trust in them. I've learned a lot over the past few months about RV pricing - mostly from a Facebook group that is intended to educate and help the public get "real" values for used RV's.

If you're a Facebooker, I'd recommend joining this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/RvPricing/ , reading the posts and asking questions.

This group, run by a professional RV Appraisal company, is *VERY* eye opening, and can save you thousands or even 10's of thousands of dollars on a used RV.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have found that NADA doesn't mean very much, if you look at the low retail price without any options minus 10% or so you might be close. Research others listed across the web and you will get a better idea of where the REAL price should be, remember, dealers sure aren't going to be giving them away. Kind of like the old saying, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. OR, in this case you may be looking at the wrong value.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #9

Good info and a good suggestion. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #10

NADA stands for the National Automobile Dealer's Association. With automobiles and light trucks, they have dealer, manufacturers and auction records to obtain retail, trade in and wholesale prices.

There is no national source of information on Recreational Vehicles and Boats.

Some person that doesn't know the difference between a Class A and a Fifth Wheel comes up with a selling price of a RV (or boat) and they depreciate them by a set percentage monthly.

In other words, the NADA is just a work of fiction for RV's or boats. Their time and efforts are spent on automobiles and light truck values.

Banks, loan companies and credit union books are often audited by the FDIC and other entities. The NADA is all they've got to substantiate the amount advanced on loans--right or wrong.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada