Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #1

NADA Values...?

Lots and lots of RV dealers post a sheet with the NADA value - including options or add-ons - and their then asking price is several thousand below high retail and a couple thousand above low retail, again with listed options.

There are even a few retailers that post an asking price that is closer to the original list price than any sort of reality I'm used to. Perhaps they are selling these RV's at inflated prices to the people that RV Consumer Group's (rv.org) JD Gallant writes about in his "How To Outwit any Auto, Truck or RV Dealer Every Time" as 'laydowns'. I don't want to (and now after reading the guide, cannot) be a 'laydown' nor do I want to be so aggressive that the salesmen/dealership or private seller is turned off and refuses to continue to deal with me.

Then there are the private sellers that obviously have a large emotional attachment to their trailer as their asking prices 40% to 70% above NADA average retail - and some even more!

Doing a quick search on this forum suggests that many are of the opinion that NADA low retail without any options added in should be the maximum (give or take a few hundred) that one should pay for a used 5er.

Others suggest that the actual sold prices on PPL Motorhomes should be a better guide.

Again, it's time to party on as confusion reigns.

Just two examples:

This 2005 Hitchhiker 32.5 RLSBG sold for $22,995.
This 2005 Hitchhiker II LS by Nu Wa is Set Up for Traveling! Options include....Electric Landing Gear, 2 Slide-outs, 1 Ducted Roof A/C, Double Door Refrigerator, Main & Slide Awnings, Washer/Dryer Connections, Heated Tanks, Satellite Dish, TV, Outside Shower, Microwave, 3 Burner Range and Oven. You'll Really Like all the Storage Space in the Bedroom!

This 2005 Hitchhiker 32.5 RLSBG sold for $17,995.
This 2005 Hitchhiker II LS Is Waiting For The Road! Benefits Include...Electric Landing Gear, 2 Slide-Outs, 1 Roof A/C, Double Door Refrigerator, Main Awning, Washer/Dryer Connections, CD Radio, 2 TVs, DVD Player, Microwave, 3 Burner Range And Oven. Are You Ready To Travel In Style In This Well Maintained Rig?

Both are the exact same floor plan. Yes, I know condition matters, but $5k worth? Or did the slide awnings and the satellite dish make the $5k difference?

OK... NADA says...

So... When I find a trailer that I like, seems to be in decent condition, what value do I shoot for?

Obviously the odds are long that I'll find an exact match on PPL - and even if I did you can see there's a $5k difference on the exact model.

I can get a general clue about value from PPL - but that could be a $5k clue mistake too.

This NADA example suggests that the folks that bought the two Hitchhikers over paid - by several thousand in one case.

What is your personal experience?

Suggestions and guidance please.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Offer what you are willing to pay. If they accept it, then continue, if they don't go find another one.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

All dealers are different, or the same sorta. Some have a higher overhead, some deal in smaller quantities. Others are just tight. For example I called a hitch dealer in town asking about a B&W 16K Patriot. I can get it for $404.00 to the $534.00 online. Closet online seller is $439.99 with free shipping. The hitch dealer wants MSRP +.1 He wants $500.00. I asked if he would meet internet prices. He laughed and complained that those internet places are nothing more than a desk and a phone with a big warehouse. Needless to say I won't give him $96.00 just cause. RV dealers all have different criteria they need to meet. Also some start high hoping for the unsuspecting buyer. Do what you're doing and shop around.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Don't forget that the NADA also has words in small print that say something along the lines of "individual units in excellent condition can sell for well above the averages shown." Two RVs that were identical at delivery can be in very different condition today.

Furthermore, some RV owners seem to think that preserving everything the way it was at delivery makes an RV seem "authentic." IMHO it makes it seem old. For example, if the old tube-type TV's haven't been replaced that's an indication that updates, in general, haven't been done. Is there still a VCR? Do you even remember what one looked like? The previous owner of our coach kept it in great shape, but when we bought it he even included the original Beaver-monogrammed towels which were, at that time, 10 yrs old. No way we wanted someone else's old towels!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #5

NADA, Edmunds, and Kelly BB were created to provide lending institutions insight as to what the collateral was worth in a given market period. Somehow over time they became the so called bible as to vehicle worth. Of course there is Black Book which is only available thru subscription.

There are, in my opinion vehicles including Motor homes that warrant that the "book" be ignored! If you are a seasoned or knowledgeable buyer, you will know one when you see it. Offering the owner of said vehicle a low ball price based upon "book research" is an insult and should be carefully considered before doing so.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
There are, in my opinion vehicles including Motor homes that warrant that the "book" be ignored! If you are a seasoned or knowledgeable buyer, you will know one when you see it. Offering the owner of said vehicle a low ball price based upon "book research" is an insult and should be carefully considered before doing so.
Coaster - that's the problem in a nutshell. I do not want to insult folks but I want the best deal possible. Where is the guidance that at least gets the two parties into the ballpark? Are NADA values the only 'reliable' guide or is there something else available?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoinSA View Post
Are NADA values the only 'reliable' guide or is there something else available?
The only reliable guide is what you are willing to pay and the seller is willing to sell for. That can and does vary widely.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The only reliable guide is what you are willing to pay and the seller is willing to sell for. That can and does vary widely.
What an insight!

The question boils down to whether there is a published (not NADA) easily available document that will allow the seller and buyer into the same ballpark without undue animosity?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoinSA View Post
What an insight!

The question boils down to whether there is a published (not NADA) easily available document that will allow the seller and buyer into the same ballpark without undue animosity?
I don't understand your concern about "animosity" from the seller if they think your offer is too low. If it's way too low what will the seller say, I can't sell it for that? If they get angry with you then they have a personal problem, and perhaps you wouldn't want to deal with them anyway.

As Mr_D said "Offer what you are willing to pay. If they accept it, then continue, if they don't go find another one."

Jim