Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Need advice!

I'm looking to buy a used 2018 Vilano 370gb from a small dealer. It has all the options we want, but there was damage to the skirting on the left side and the slide trim molding is bent at the bottom below floor level. On the same side it looks like the axel must have bottomed out which wore a hole in the fabric on the frame. I also noticed the electric wires were cut near the wheel that control the brakes. I operated all the slides and they worked fine, however the skirting will need to be replaced and the slide molding fixed or replaced. I looked under the rig and didn't see any structure damage, but if the axel bottomed out enough for the tires to hit the frame it had to be a pretty big hole. Should I run from this unit? I was told by an inspector that he would not be able to tell if the frame was damaged by looking.
Tootmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Run, there are more rigs to buy out there.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. With out a good private inspection...RUN and look elsewhere.

Enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootmag View Post
I'm looking to buy a used 2018 Vilano 370gb from a small dealer. It has all the options we want, but there was damage to the skirting on the left side and the slide trim molding is bent at the bottom below floor level. On the same side it looks like the axel must have bottomed out which wore a hole in the fabric on the frame. I also noticed the electric wires were cut near the wheel that control the brakes. I operated all the slides and they worked fine, however the skirting will need to be replaced and the slide molding fixed or replaced. I looked under the rig and didn't see any structure damage, but if the axel bottomed out enough for the tires to hit the frame it had to be a pretty big hole. Should I run from this unit? I was told by an inspector that he would not be able to tell if the frame was damaged by looking.
Sounds to me like there was a tire blow out. When that happens the tire shrapnel will take out the fabric and/or plywood above and any wires and plumbing in it's way. My guess is the tires don't match either. That said also check the underside of the slides. I inspected several last summer and about 25% had torn undersurface on NEW trailers. In my opinion the cabinets were also poorly constructed and finished and flimsy. Vanleigh is touted, by themselves, as a higher build but not the case. Just a run of the mill builder with Lippert frames, typical RV appliances built in a filthy factory. Get it cheap enough and maybe it's worth it. YMMV.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #5

I agree that it was probably a blown tire. They tear up things badly. I have had it myself. Look it over well and have them fix the damage.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:29 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always recommend you hiring a inspector to go over the unit. If the dealers says he did that already, and won't let you.....then walk. You dodged a bullet.

Blown tire is the likely cause like others mentioned.

If good otherwise, have it repaired before delivery.

The right way is the best way. Shortcuts lead to problems.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #7

I agree, that's blow out damage. Don't know of anyone who ever totaled an RV because of a blowout, so it should be easily repairable.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #8

I think my air pressure in my Jack's are not working when I first started the engine the air pressure warnings go on then as I'm driving one says jack down
Kerr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #9

If the price is rely good and the damage is not to bad and if you like the floor plan I say go and buy it.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:26 AM   #10

I had a blow out with similar damage. One thing that also happened was the tread wrapped around the other axle and pulled it way out of alignment. This wore the spare and the other tire out within 50 miles. So beware of what has been mentioned as well as this.

Tags
advice