Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2015, 05:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8white View Post
Wow thank you for this. I wasnt able to see the trimming that you added that goes on a bend. In the pic, you can see that I have the same thing. Im concerned with this part. I dont know that I will find the right shape. Im also concerned that I will get in the same situation with support but I dont have a welder. Can you tell me what tools I will need to make it easier? You mentioned a rubber mallet. Thanks again!
Sorry....I didn't have the carpet trim down yet in that picture.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #16

"When I remove the wall panels, cal i just cut under the window since it is not damaged that high up?" That's a good plan IF you can find new wall material that is exactly the same thickness as what you remove. I'd make that cut at chair rail height, so that any imperfection can be covered by the chair rail. That will also let you put a complimentary wall covering below the chair rail.

I'd use a vibrating saw like this: Shop DEWALT 29-Piece 3-Amp Oscillating Tool Kit at Lowes.com. I'd also disconnect the coach batteries and unplug from house current. That way there won't be any spitzensparksen. Make a test cut about 4" x 4" or so in a place where you think there won't be any wires or other obstacles. That will let you know exactly what wall material you are dealing with and you can get your hand or flashlight into the cavity to see what's back there.

Warning: projects like this have a tendency to grow. Don't be surprised if you end up rebuilding that whole end of the coach. "Since I've got this torn apart anyway, why don't we rebuild it like this? As long as we're doing this, we may as well do that." I speak from experience.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #17

I would take this opportunity to replace all of the flooring including the vinyl in the kitchen. This way you wouldn't need the gold metal edging. Use a wood type laminate that is floating not nailed/glued down. They just lock together and are super easy to install. They are also very affordable.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #18

"I would take this opportunity to replace all of the flooring including the vinyl in the kitchen." See what I mean by projects growing? <grin>
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:11 AM   #19

Oh yeah...check the roof too. Might need replaced....or at the very least a good cleaning
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't worry about the gold trim. You will find it does not come bent into shape. It comes in straight pieces and you form it to fit your situation. It is soft aluminum and is made to be shaped. If you get a gasket scraper and lift up the edge that holds the carpet, You may be able to pull out the nails and reuse the strip. Also the floor may not be bad that far back and you may not have to remove the strip.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #21
YC1

If you need to butt splice some wood try a Biscuit cutter. That is a cutting head that goes on a router. Then surf board shaped pieces are slipped into the slots with glue.

I doubt this will help your situation but sometimes throwing out ideas helps.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #22

Ugh this project seems so overwealming and so outside my skill zone. What makes it worse is that I am living in it full time. I am at an Elks lodge in San Antonio. Luckily I have alot of tools and so do they but I will be doing this alone. I see what you mean about it turning into a bigger project.
gr8white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
If you are slightly handy with tools and have made repairs to a sticks and bricks house, you can handle this project. I owned a 2006 Montana 5th wheel and replaced the carpet with laminate that snapped together. I did not replace the carpet on the slideouts but did rebuild the stairs. If I can do it, you can. As been said before, take your time and think it through before you take your next step. If you hit a snag, just post questions back to this thread and someone will help you through it. "You can do it, you can do it!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky573 View Post
If you are slightly handy with tools and have made repairs to a sticks and bricks house, you can handle this project. I owned a 2006 Montana 5th wheel and replaced the carpet with laminate that snapped together. I did not replace the carpet on the slideouts but did rebuild the stairs. If I can do it, you can. As been said before, take your time and think it through before you take your next step. If you hit a snag, just post questions back to this thread and someone will help you through it. "You can do it, you can do it!
Thank you Bucky! Im a bit handy. I worked on homes and I have also worked on an oil rig. I think I can do it! Im assuming the first step is ripping things apart which I am especially good at.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8white View Post
does anyone have any adbice on how to go about the first step which is ripping the floor up? I will probably have to rip the wall up too which sucks because I wont find the same wallpaper.
If the wall is spongy its time to remove some of the wall panels both inside and out.I started fixing my daughters floor and the more I opened up the worse it got.
Took outside skin off on rear corner and some inside wall ,scabbed back studs,new plywood floor,and put wood laminate flooring down.The wall studs sit on top of the plywood so you might as well open her up and fix it.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #26

Use that vibrating cutting tool and cut as close as you can to the existing wall. Cut a parallel piece out so you can see. Go from there.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #27

Im waiting on a friend to get back from vacation in a week to help me with this so I havent begun yet. It almost looks easier to replace the whole floor with Laminate wood looking tile. The only problem with that is getting under the slides from what I can see.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #28

You're beginning to worry me a little. The laminate or anything other covering must go on over a sub-floor. Your sub-floor is what is rotted. You must replace it before thinking about laminate.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice