Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2015, 12:16 AM   #1

Need advice on ripping part of my floor out and replacing

The back corner of my RV has a soft floor and wall. In the pics below you will see the dis color of the carpet and the ripple on the wall. This is from when the previous owner didn't calk the outside corner. I have since calked it and the floor no longer gets wet but it did a ton of damage. even going a bit under the fridge. I don't even know where to begin but I want to do this myself. I am thinking of putting tongue and groove hardwood looking floor down or just laminate hard wood looking. Then I would like to maybe build or install a desk on the empty side without the chair. I would like to take it all the way across including where the chair is but not past the kitchen floor. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Please excuse the mess in the pics. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151109_215946.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	111587   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151109_220042.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	111588  

Name:	20151109_220100.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	111589   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151109_220123.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	111590  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 12:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure what kind of RV you have, but I would guess that you will find a 3/4 to 1-1/4 inch plywood decking when you take the covering off. I had a similar problem in my MH and had to replace a 4 sq ft section and then I replaced the carpet with a hardwood tongue and groove that I got at a Sam's Club. There is no reason you can not do all the work yourself, just take your time, check under the area where you will be removing the decking to make sure there are no wires or plumbing in the way of your cuts and see where the under deck supports are.

Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #3

I believe 1" Treated plywood is almost the exact same thickness as your current floor. Use one of those vibrating multi-tools to cut next to walls. You can do it.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Im hoping to get a good amount of replys before I start this. I would love to start this weekend. One of my main concerns is that gold rail that goes around the kitchen floor. Also, Im hoping to get advice on using either laminate floor or tongue and groove.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #5

Does the wall feel spongy near the floor where the damage is ? Do you know what the wall supports are; wood or aluminum ? I ask this as you may have more than just floor damage from water leaking down from above.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
Does the wall feel spongy near the floor where the damage is ? Do you know what the wall supports are; wood or aluminum ? I ask this as you may have more than just floor damage from water leaking down from above.
Yes, the wall is definately spongy. The water damage started coming in about a foot above the floor. Im sure of this. But I am not sure if its wood or aluminum.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #7

does anyone have any adbice on how to go about the first step which is ripping the floor up? I will probably have to rip the wall up too which sucks because I wont find the same wallpaper.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #8

"One of my main concerns is that gold rail that goes around the kitchen floor." You can get that stuff at Lowe's or any store that sells flooring or floor coverings.

I'm assuming that you are working from your house, not in a campground because that makes things easier. Get all of the furniture out of the way. Use a sharp utility knife to cut the old carpet a few inches away from the walls. Take out the gold trim and remove the carpet. That will give you a good idea of what the floor is like. A pry bar will help you get rid of the tack strip by the wall.

As for the wall, once you have the carpet gone you can make a small cut in the wallpaper near the floor to see what's behind it. From your picture it looks like that may be the rear of the trailer, so if you have to rip off all of the wallpaper on that wall it won't be terrible. You can simply cover that one wall with a complimentary paper.

You may well have to take the interior wall down to the studs. Use the opportunity to replace (install) insulation. Take your time to do the job right. You might even want to add another outlet or two while you have the wall open.
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Number 1. Remove the wall panels and check for mold. Mold is a serious threat to health. Make sure you treat the mold if you find it. The paneling in your trailer is plywood covered with wall paper. It is factory glued together. (at the paneling factory) It is almost impossible to remove the paper. You will have to replace the wallpaneling anyway, because you will find it is seperated. I see you have slideouts. That means it was built after 1995 or so. It has a good chance of having metal studs. Most manufacturers had gone to metal studs by this time. I have repaired several RV's in this condition. It is not as hard as it sounds. Take your time, take pictures to remember the order things come off.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I should have also said, If you find mold on the insulation, make sure you replace all the bad insulation.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #11

Well, I just had to cut out a section of my rear kitchen floor by the sink. I have a 94 Gulfstream all steel. So when I cut out the bad section I followed what I thought was wood floor joists. But they were steel. The flooring was 1/2 inch OSB with foam between the joists then plywood under that which were laid out approximately 2' X 2'. Once I got that cut out I could see the black plastic that covers the bottom of the 5th wheel. I was back far enough it was behind the tanks. So now I have nothing to support where I have cut out. Yikes....I call a buddy who is a good welder. He welded 3- 1 X 1 inch bars under the floor joists frame to frame. Then I laid in new plywood and drilled and screwed to the new supports. I put the foam back in and cut a piece of plywood for the floor. Then I glued and screwed 1/4 inch subfloor to the kitchen area and put down self-adhesive tiles. I bought new carpet edging and tucked the carpet into it and hammered it flat with a mallet and section of 2X4. Looks good and the floor is solid as a rock in front of the sink. If it weren't for the tanks, I'd weld supports under the whole camper.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #12

Here is the result
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1447210622242.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	111660  
Old 11-11-2015, 12:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfsted View Post
Here is the result
Wow thank you for this. I wasnt able to see the trimming that you added that goes on a bend. In the pic, you can see that I have the same thing. Im concerned with this part. I dont know that I will find the right shape. Im also concerned that I will get in the same situation with support but I dont have a welder. Can you tell me what tools I will need to make it easier? You mentioned a rubber mallet. Thanks again!
Old 11-11-2015, 12:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Number 1. Remove the wall panels and check for mold. Mold is a serious threat to health. Make sure you treat the mold if you find it. The paneling in your trailer is plywood covered with wall paper. It is factory glued together. (at the paneling factory) It is almost impossible to remove the paper. You will have to replace the wallpaneling anyway, because you will find it is seperated. I see you have slideouts. That means it was built after 1995 or so. It has a good chance of having metal studs. Most manufacturers had gone to metal studs by this time. I have repaired several RV's in this condition. It is not as hard as it sounds. Take your time, take pictures to remember the order things come off.
When I remove the wall panels, cal i just cut under the window since it is not damaged that high up? The window will be a bitch to cut the right shape of wood. The same applys with teh back wall because thats damaged too and thats the big wall and alot of cuts. The other problem is that if I didnt cut the whole wall out, the wallpaper would be an issue based on what you said. I am also worried about what Rolfsted said about having to weld beams. Also, can you please tell me what tools I will need to make it easier?

I have a 2003 Forest River Wildcat by the way. It has 2 slides. This pic shows you the outside of the RV Slide and rear corner that I am having the issue with. The kitchen is a slide that begins where you see the edge by the fridge. There is also a bit of soft floor leading up to the side of the fridge on the linoleum that you see in the pic. That will make it a much larger project because I would have to take that small portion of the kitchen floor up that would I assume ruin the rest of the floor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150228_131934.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	111672  

Tags
advice