Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #1

need an office away from the TV area

I need a place to work, via computer, away from the television. I was looking at a mid bunk model to use as an office but the choices are few and the unit lengths are too long.

Maybe if I had one of those bed tilt systems, that might provide more space.

Any other ideas? thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #2

I've often seen TV's in one of the storage areas below. Why not keep the inside for yourself and send everybuddy outside where you just moved the TV. ;-))

"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
i was doing consulting work for a while as a full timer. my wife watched TV in the bedroom while I was working. i turned my dining table sideways and used it as a desk.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
What about 5th wheels that have floorplans with the bunk room in the back or in the nose? Those usually have a door on them that can be closed. You'd just have to remodel the bunks to accommodate for what you need. It's been a while but one mfr had a rear bunk room with a jack-knife sofa on 1 side & bunks on the other. I could see removing the bunks & making that your desk side.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:34 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
We use the toy hauler section of our 5th wheel as an bedroom, craft room, and office. Works great.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:16 AM   #6

I don't know if you have a family watching the TV or not but my Wife and I use ear pones for rainy days and to help if the other doesn't want to hear the program.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:53 AM   #7

I'm trying to remember what it was, but we saw a 5th wheel last year at the rv show that had a bunk room right as you walked in on the middle of the trailer. I remember loving all of the different things you could do with that room and office was one of them. It could have been the Sandpiper 371 REBH, but I'm not sure.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:02 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
All 5 TV's in my MH have a ON/OFF button.
I think they all come that way.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #9

In older 5th wheels...mid 2000's a few had a sliding door to isolate the living room from the rest of the coach. In these units the living area could be easily used for an office. Or the kitchen area for the office with the sliding door closed.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #10

You didn't state whether you were looking for a Travel Trailer, a Fifth Wheel, or a Motor Home, but I will weigh in on a coach we saw. It was at a dealership in Palm Beach FL in February. It was a Monaco, 2007, I believe, between 40 and 42 feet. We absolutely loved the layout, it had a large desk/sitting area in the back bedroom, with lots of floor space. Enough for a filing cabinet, etc, plenty for an office.

We loved the coach, but the warring smells of mold, fa-breeze, and bleach about chased us out of the coach! When we questioned the salesman about whether the leaks had been repaired yet, his answer was "What leaks?"

That year and model (not that exact coach, as I wouldn't wish it on anyone I liked) may work for you, and ARE out there. Good luck!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #11

thanks for the ideas

Thanks everyone for the ideas. We're leaning towards a fifth wheel with a rear living room, so I think I'll pursue some setup in the front bedroom. I'm going to start another thread to ask about installing a tilt bed system. That looks like it will give a bit more room to work with
Old 09-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
You didn't state whether you were looking for a Travel Trailer, a Fifth Wheel, or a Motor Home...
The post is in the 5th wheel Forum - leads me to believe & the OP confirmed, he's looking at 5th wheels.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #13

We had a couple next to us last month with a 5th wheel toy hauler. They had the garage portion set up as an office as the wife still worked full time frome home. Very nice setup.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #14

The DRV 44' Cumberland might be something to check out. Very interesting floor plan.