Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #1

Need fast help please!

Our front landing gear won't work...at all. We have a Carriage Cameo with electric landing gear and a manual crank backup. The electric motor engaged for just a second and then quit. I don't hear the motor engage/spin/humm at all. I then placed the manual crank into position and nothing again. As I manually crank the handle, I can hear it spinning the motor and can see the "bar" (that stretches between both struts) spinning. Even then, the landing gear doesn't move up or down. I've cranked both ways but nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a bypass when you have to crank em manually? We are sitting VERY tail low with regards to being level and I seriously need to get this fixed. Does anyone have ideas???
usafmsgt7594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #2

Wow! If the connecting rod between the landing gears is turning when you engage the motor then it's not the fuse. I have to think you have some sort of a sheer pin that broke. Check the units paperwork. Good luck
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #3

That's what's weird. The motor worked fine just a few hours earlier when we hooked up to the truck for a drive. Pulled into camp and nothing. The motor worked for just a second then quit all together when using the electric switch. Why would the motor quit working AND the manual crank not move the landing gear? I'm totally stumped...and a bit "agitated"!!! I had to extend the "perforated" portion of the landing gear, place a couple boards under them, block the wheels, unlock the hitch, and pull the truck out slowly as the 5er gracefully landed on the boards (only about 1/2" drop). I was not a happy camper...pardon the pun.
usafmsgt7594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #4

You may a 12v breaker that has tripped near or in side your battery box.
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #5

It is either a breaker or fuse (electric issue) or sheer pin somewhere broke (mechanical issue).

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If the electrical motor has quit and you can't lower it manually it is not an electrical problem. You definitely have a mechanical issue. You said the motor quit. Do you mean it doesn't function. Or, can you hear it running but the unit just doesn't lower?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #7

humm one thing i did not seen any one ask

did you go to high on them hitting the end of them can hurt the gear boxs on some
going to high again on some can hit a switch to make the motors stop working to stop you from hurting the gear box

trying to work it manually ... some times on some 5ers you have to pull the shaft out or in to lock it for it to work i am thinking this as ..

the shaft is turning for both legs if some thing was hurt in a gear box one leg would still be working and you would see it moving

one more thing .. they could me moving in manually mood they just move so slow you feel there not working and the geared so low and he EP motor tuners so much faster .. i would add a mark on the leg and make sure there not going down really slow
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

We had the 2008 Royals International which is somewhat similar. It had a bunch of 12 v fuses in the small compartment that contains the landing gear switches and they gave us grief all the time, they are not labeled so you probably need to check them one by one, we had the same problems sometimes with the jacks and sometimes with the slides.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #9

I had the same issue last year, it turned out the motor was not wired properly and I kept popping the 30amp fuse. I was constantly replacing the fuse until the dealership replaced the landing gear motor and rewired everything. The manual crank also wasn't working which was realigned .... I feel your pain. I would have someone check the wiring and the motor, hope this helps.
Laredo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since both electric and manual do not work...

Sheared pins, stripped gears and broken shafts are your primary suspects, in that order.

ONE possible issue depending on the design of the jacks (But I do not think this is it)

You may have retracted the jacks to the point where the nut ran out of thread and is not re-engaging,, As I said, I do not think this is it.. For now.. Jacks and jack stands to hold it and either inspect if you know how or call On-Site Repair service.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:02 AM   #11

Be nice if he would drop in to let us know what it took to fix it.
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
Be nice if he would drop in to let us know what it took to fix it.
Yes, it would.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #13

For anyone that doesn't know: the motor (or manual crank) turns a gear box. That turns shafts to gears on each landing leg. Then that touches another gear. Then there is a long screw and a nut that is fixed in the leg. If the cross bar is moving that connects the two legs, it's internal in the legs.

EITHER, he wasn't cranking fast enough to notice a difference (they can be slow), or they were retracted way too far, or bent, or who knows.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote