Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #1

Need help and advice

I check and take information to buy a 5th Wheel. I went to a RV show and saw a lot of different company's. I talk a lot with friends and people who have 5th wheel.
The most problem is water infiltration.
A report said and even went directly to the manufactory and the new fifthwheel are done very quickly and with very light products. At the exit of the factory the trailer would take, for several, already the water. It's a bit scary to buy new and put in thousands of dollars and have walls that already have water infiltrations.
Some told me to don't buy new and check for a use one before 2008 because it was made with better materials. I can have it inspected and see if there are any problems and I would save a lot of money and get the problems fixed and in the end it would be a better buy.
I like to buy new but in same time, I'm afraid to buy and have a beautiful inside but between the wall and all the furniture are not good.
What do you think?
What is best, new or used and why? Wich company are better than other? I'll ride with it from Canada to south of USA and maybe Mexico and come back by western Canada to come back to Quebec, Canada. I'll pass winter in south. I don't buy my truck yet so the weight is not important because I'll buy the truck who'll be able to curry it easily.
Thank you all to share your experience.
Franky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
i have heard the same thing, franky, about new construction. we bought ours when it was 10 years old but it only had 9k miles on it. we figured it out pretty quickly why it was seldom used...it is a bucket of junk. we invested in the tow car and such right away so we were kind of stuck with it. some friends have a 2008 montana 5er and they love it. (we do too.) they've had their share of the normal breakdowns but leaks aren't one of them.

as to the truck, i would go with the f350, that way you never need to upgrade that in the future. (at least, that would be my excuse to the DW.) 8^)

hope this helps a little, wynn
2006 coachmen mirada, 36', v10, 6.5+ mpg, 2 6v house, 1 12v chassis. 2006 crv, 3500#, falcon ii towbar, invisibrake. MopZ and LuvHer the wonder dogs. 8^) life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.
wynnkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:19 PM   #3

I bought a 2008 small 22' trailer in 2008. I traded that trailer on a 2011 5th wheel. While I owned the 5th wheel I also bought a 25' 2013 travel trailer. I sold the 5th wheel but still have the 2013 travel trailer.
I only had minor issues with the 5th wheel.

I am now looking to trade the 2013 trailer for a bigger newer trailer.

I am looking to buy new. IMHO the trailers I am looking at now are actually built better than my previous trailers. The roofing material is better now with a so called 12 year warranty vs the old 10 year warranty.
I am also seeing better tolerances in the framing I can see.

The Flagstaff / Rockwood trailers are my favorite with Winnebago a very close 2nd.

I would not shy away from RV'ing because I think they are doing better building them.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #4

I've owned a 2013 Arctic Fox 27 – 5L fifth wheel since it was new, and have full-timed in it for the last four years, and I've never seen any sign of a leak. I'm no expert but I think some leaks are caused by the weak frames that a lot of fifth wheels are built on, flexing and opening up some of the joints in the part we live in resulting in a leak.

My advice is to always get a fifth wheel that has a large strong frame, big axles, and at least 16 inch tires and wheels. One of the ways to tell how strong the running gear is, is to check the carry capacity of the trailer and if it's not very much then the running gear and frame is probably not very strong.

These are just my opinions after owning three fifth wheels and RVing for over 30 years. I used that criteria I just mentioned when I bought the Arctic Fox and so far I haven't been disappointed.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #5

Wow thanks for your experiences and advice guys. I really appreciate it.
Nice information about the frame and the weight the fifth are able to carry.
Thanks again
Franky55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, need help