Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilcastle View Post
Have you ever towed before? That is a heavy 5ver! I would want more truck then I have.
Towing 38 footer (or bigger) with a pickup is "supposed to be" exciting, white knuckle experience. That's why Detroit puts out these glossy 20 page, GVWR, GCWR, "encouragements" to provide you with this "excitement".
What the heck, I pulled 22,500 lbs, 40 footer with my Dodge 3500.

Based on my experience Dodge could actually "bump up" their rating by few thousand pounds more. It's all meaningless, no dealer is going to "blow a sale" by telling you that you need more truck than what you are considering.

But the poster says he will be using it for short trips only. That's why roller coaster rides last only short time and they all have handles for your white knuckles.

hjs

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseer33 View Post
Need help. I have a fifth wheel DRV 38 ft mobile suites. Dry weight of 14,400. Looking at a 2014 3500 4 x2 dually 6.7 turbo Diesel engine crew cab long bed Dealer says I problem. Can toll this easy. True? Or not true. What I read to me is yes. But I am not truly understanding it all All advise will help. See dealer tomorrow
We had the same truck (2012) except ours was 4 wheel drive and we had to trade it in and upgrade to HIGH OUTPUT version to properly tow our DRV. We have a TKSB3. It is a huge difference. Make sure this truck has that. Hope that helps.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If it's a pickup and has the Aisin transmission, it has the 385/850 Cummins.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
What the heck, I pulled 22,500 lbs, 40 footer with my Dodge 3500.
With all respect, there's quite a difference between towing with the 2nd and 4th generation Ram 3500s (and, yes, I've had both.)

Rusty
Old 08-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
On way to get it now. All the reach I have I don't says it can pull 5500 with spare. HD transmission 4.10 gear ratio Dually. Long bed cumin turbo Diesel engine According to
All I could find. It can tow up to 25000 lbs in a fifth wheel. Which we have in writing from the dealer It also has exhaust brakes.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
With all respect, there's quite a difference between towing with the 2nd and 4th generation Ram 3500s (and, yes, I've had both.)

Rusty
Oh, it pulled that fifth fine, it had all the options and suspension upgrades and power from that Dodge Viper V-10 in front of 5 speed manual. I could take off solo in 3rd gear (or fourth if I really slipped the clutch). It was just this "minor inconvenience" of stopping the whole shebang if there was even smallest hiccup in the fifth's braking system.
With the fifth on board the rears were at 8,400 pounds and the fronts at 4,200. As I said, Dodge should be very proud of the fact how much abuse their trucks can take.
What I find interesting that with those "new" GVWRs and GCWRs the Detroit is not going after the trucking industry and DOT, after all that's into the MDT territory, short haul trucking industry could save themselves a bundle.
Oh, I see, they would have to convince truckers, rather than RVers that it's safe and reliable.

hjs
Old 08-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Yep, I had a 1996 3500 with the V-10 and front disc/rear drum brakes. I had a 2002 3500 with Cummins HO/6-speed with 4 wheel discs (quite an improvement over the 1996 in braking.) The 4th gen brakes are a substantial improvement over even the 4 wheel discs of the 2001.5 and up 2nd gen, especially when combined with the automated downshifting and exhaust brake functions coordinated by the ECM when in the tow/haul mode with the exhaust brake enabled.

No, I'm not saying the 4th gen tows like a Class 8 tractor, but it is markedly more capable than the 2nd gen.

Rusty
Old 08-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilcastle View Post
Have you ever towed before? That is a heavy 5ver! I would want more truck then I have.
With the truck he is looking at, he will have more truck than you do. As Rusty says the new Ram will have trailer tow ratings and GVW to handle his trailer. Everything has been beefed up on the new trucks from the frame, axles, brakes, trans., etc.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #37

Quote:
What I find interesting that with those "new" GVWRs and GCWRs the Detroit is not going after the trucking industry and DOT, after all that's into the MDT territory, short haul trucking industry could save themselves a bundle.
Oh, I see, they would have to convince truckers, rather than RVers that it's safe and reliable.
Actually Dodge and the trucking industry have know for years what our LDT can carry and pull legally.
The new '14 Ram simply uses those big 14000 GVWR and 37500 GCWR that trucking uses every day with the older trucks like yours. The truck manufactures know what trucking regulation allow these truck to legally carry and how much they can pull for hundreds of thousands of miles. IMO its convincing RV folks what these trucks are actually capable of pulling 30k trailers and carrying 6500+ lbs and pulling at 37500 GCWR.
As a retired LTL trucker I'm easily convinced.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #38

Peace guys, I surrender.
Here's the picture of my "pulling stable" taken few years back.

That one ton Ford was my third pickup used for pulling (reduced in this picture to a beater and dump runner).
Then I pulled with that conversion on the right, small improvement on the account of a small Cummins and an Allison, then I moved on to an MDT.

This was the beginning of my transformation to an obnoxious, ornery and opinionated individual. The first time you hit those MDT brakes you say, "yea man, this is it , it's no going back". By the way that MDT never pulled that Royals behind it, it wasn't set up for it and I had to buy the Dodge in order to ferry it home and use it to pull the fifth for a year. After pulling with the MDT for four years going back to the Dodge was a bummer.
So I sold the MDT and replaced the Dodge with a class 8.

Now that's relaxed pulling. 450 HP, 1,650 ft-lb of torque and those air brakes, they make even that MDT feel sick. I am spoiled, spoiled, spoiled rotten, I admit.
I should keep my mouth shut and not engage in any discussions about any recent offerings from the boys in Detroit. May that bankrupt city rest in peace.

hjs
Old 08-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #39

Here are my thoughts;
The dry pin weight is 3,395#, which is 24% of 14,500#. multiply the GVW, which is very near 18,000#, X 24%. The result is 4,339#. In my opinion that is too much pin weight for any 1T truck to control safely. I think that weight demands a 450 or 550 size truck to be safe. This weight calculator will safely match that 5er to a truck for towing it comfortably.
Good luck and safe travels!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote