Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #15

X2 what Fred1609 said, there is a reason the insurance company wants to total it, if that's what they do. And there is a good chance that once you get into rebuilding it you will go over your break even budget. Once you are done you may have a hard time getting it insured again. If the money works our right I'm sure you will learn to love the new one just as you have this one. Good Luck
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #16

I want to thank everyone! Well, they just totaled the unit but have not heard what the retained salvage value is yet. Took it out of the dealer's yard and brought it back to our son's place to wait for the decision. During this time we have had a chance to examine it with cooler heads. The main reason for totaling was the potential damage from all the water causing a mold problem later. We have had someone come and look at it that works on RV's. Opinion seems to be that the actual damage can be prepared if we are willing to cool our jets and hang around for a couple of weeks.

Seriously considering trying to buy it back. If it turns out that mold should appear then we will deal with or get rid of the unit. But, if it doesn't then we are $$$ ahead of the game.

So...we are drawing a deep breath and rescheduling ! Thanks everyone, again!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On thing to remember is that the owner is responsible for due diligence and must do everything possible to stop further damage. If you didn't do that then they may not cover the water damage. You can't just turn your back on the damage and let the water continue to pour in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #18

if you did get any good amount of water in the walls then i would walk away from it the wood used on some units like to come apart and the side wall start to wave and come apart

if your unit is not made this way then my self i would fix it .. but all so keep in mind like here in FL if you get a reman title for it it can no longer be sold out of that state and you have to make the new buyer sing a paper with him or her knowing its been fix with said paper work on title ..

to keep form going in to this no matter what price to pay to get it back after fixing it and money you out in to it with the title that way you may get 1/4 of you money back

you may think you would hold on to it for some time but i have did 5 reman titles and when that time comes to get a new unit you can looking to the money made to help get the new unit

what we think is cool and good for us is a hard seal latter
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #19

I want to thank all of you for responding to a mildly hysterical post.

After going through this past week and a half of ups and downs...I can only sing the praises of the iRV2 community who helped with advice and support and the understanding of our Adjuster with Geico! We will come out of this in good shape!

Didn't make it out ahead of the snow (14") but definitely have a greater appreciation for what really matters...no one was physically or financially hurt. And, who could ask for more than that!!

Thanks again everyone!!
Old 11-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #20

So, since the trailer was totaled, as long as you are happy with the settlement that is all that matters!
Old 11-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #21

Yes it was totaled but before we made up our mind we took it from the dealer...who tried to engage us into scamming the insurance company. Once out of their yard...We took it to a different location and had two different people take a look at it. We will be able to have it repaired and come out the other side owning it. At our age (70's), that is an important consideration, too.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #22

Like I said, as long as you are happy..... Sounds like you have a plan!!

Tags
insurance, need help