Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #1

Need help please!!!!

WE NEED A GOOD ATTORNEY - On April 29, 2014, in Gulf Shores, AL, our 2006 Carriage Carri Lite X-Treme had storm damage and was sitting in about 2-3 ft of brackish water for 7 days. Made our insurance claim with Progressive, who deemed it totaled without looking at it, because of it sitting in brackish water. Progressive had it towed to Moss Point, MS 10 days later to a salvage yard. Once there, the adjuster came out and deemed it not totaled, as we had a full replacement value policy for the purchase price of the unit which was $86,000. There was not enough damage to total it under our policy. Then it was towed to Foley RV Center in Mississippi, where another adjuster came out and said there was nothing wrong with it, even though the undercarriage was submerged in water, we had wet carpet in the cabin area and so forth. We then on our own dime had it towed to Camping World in Robertsdale, AL. BIG BIG MISTAKE. Another adjuster got involved, and there ended up being 3 claims, one to replace the roof, one to fix the damage on the rv from Progressive having it towed to the salvage yard $3,900. The third, mold remediation, ya know for the water damage in coach that wasn't there. (Can't figure that one out) The front cap repainted, and numerous other items, too many to include here. So, here we are 5 months later, just having picked up fifth wheel and $25,300 in repairs of which $5,500 was out of our pocket, we now have a leaking roof, with 6,000 - 8,000 in water damage to the interior of the RV. Progressive is not responsible, as they paid for a new roof on it, Camping World said they were picking up the fifth wheel yesterday, but they never did, They won't return our calls, so my husband went there today and got the run around. Still don't know what Camping World is going to do, even the General Manager won't return our calls.We have had the roof inspected by another repair place in AL, who found the leaks in the roof. We are at our wits end and really need a good attorney if anyone knows one, please forward their info to us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Sorry you're having all those problems, especially when you had insurance that should have covered them. I agree find a good lawyer. Best of luck on a solution so you can again enjoy your adventures and be safe.

Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can not help you with legal representation in AL... HOWEVER, I do agree Camping World may have been a mistake.. Some are good,, Some not, most in between.

Water alone is not enough to total it, but brackish water.. might be, Replacement of the floor may be all that's needed.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #4

UPDATE, since posting my post, my hubby was at the RV waiting for Camping World to show up, which they never did. He was getting stuff out of the RV storage in back and noticed that behind the vapor barrier, it was sagging with water. I called the gentleman who did the inspection last Saturday and he went right out. He stuck a pencil in the wall and water came pouring out of the back wall. He climbed up on the roof and stated that Camping World had not sealed the roof to the back cap and that water had gotten in the walls. He then showed my hubby where the outer wall was pulling away from the inside wall. He he said this rv has some serious problems with the roof. Will update everyone tomorrow on how all this goes. So very sad, we are in our early 50's and have been paying on this RV for our retirement. We feel hopeless and victimized by the insurance company & Camping World.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

Sounds like:

1. Insurance needs someone who knows RVs and repairs. The local adjuster here in E.Tx is good, and knows RVs. It should have been totaled. You can EASILY right a repair estimate for the roof, sidewalls, all electrical lines and electronics, bearings, brakes, carpet, floor decking, cabinets, and so on. Done, totaled. An hour to write out a proper estimate and that's it.

2. Now that you let them repair it, you have to deal with that. The facility who did the repairs is liable for the leaks now.

Bottom line, it should NEVER have been repaired.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #6

UPDATE

First, will the gentleman who was at the Gulf Shores State Park at the time of the storm, please contact me privately?

Well here it is Feb 8, 2015. Five attorneys later, they don't seem to know what to do. We are legal residents of Louisiana. Have a fifth wheel registered in Montana, was sitting in Alabama when the damage occurred, rv was moved to a salvage yard in Mississippi, 142 miles from where it was originally by Progressive, we had to pay for it to be hauled back to Camping World in Alabama for repairs. Now the unit is in covered storage in Theodore, AL. When we moved it to storage the sidewalls and back wall were full of water from the roof replacement Camping World did on our roof. Insulation was hanging out underneath dripping with water, Progressive said they are not responsible, Camping World says bring it back in and they will determine if they are at fault. NO WAY! Called Alabama States attorney for help, unfortunately Alabama is a state that sides on the business side. No help from them, contacted BBB of Alabama, they said they no longer take complaints on Camping World you have to go through the BBB in Chicago...it just keeps getting thicker from there. We see no end in sight, are making monthly payments on a RV we can no longer use, still paying Progressive for insurance on the thing, and can't use it. Has mold in the ceiling and no one thinks they are responsible. All of this is just unbelievable. Oh, and get this, I have a voicemail from an employee at the Gulf State park calling us to tell us our RV was flooded. Seven days later 1 adjuster goes and talks with the Park manager, and she says there was no flood. Even with pictures of the flooded storage area, he chose to believe her. We are just stunned.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Jane View Post
First, will the gentleman who was at the Gulf Shores State Park at the time of the storm, please contact me privately?

Well here it is Feb 8, 2015. Five attorneys later, they don't seem to know what to do. We are legal residents of Louisiana. Have a fifth wheel registered in Montana, 1.was sitting in Alabama when the damage occurred, rv was moved to a salvage yard in Mississippi, 142 miles from where it was originally by Progressive, we had to pay for it to be hauled back to Camping World in Alabama for repairs. Now the unit is in covered storage in Theodore, AL. When we moved it to storage the sidewalls and back wall were 2. full of water from the roof replacement Camping World did on our roof. Insulation was hanging out underneath dripping with water, Progressive said they are not responsible, Camping World says bring it back in and they will determine if they are at fault. NO WAY! Called Alabama States attorney for help, unfortunately Alabama is a state that sides on the business side. No help from them, contacted BBB of Alabama, they said they no longer take complaints on Camping World you have to go through the BBB in Chicago...it just keeps getting thicker from there. We see no end in sight, are making monthly payments on a RV we can no longer use, still paying Progressive for insurance on the thing, and can't use it. Has mold in the ceiling and no one thinks they are responsible. All of this is just unbelievable. Oh, and get this, I have a voicemail from an employee at the Gulf State park calling us to tell us our 3.RV was flooded. Seven days later 1 adjuster goes and talks with the Park manager, and she says there was no flood. Even with pictures of the flooded storage area, he chose to believe her. We are just stunned.
1. What damage? What happened first?
2. I Camping World put a "New Roof" on it and it leaked.....you are going to have to take them to court, if they will not stand behind their work.
Did you contact Marcus Lemonis? https://www.facebook.com/marcus.lemonis
mlemonis@goodsamfamily.com or mlemonis@campingworld.com

3. Do you have flood insurance on it?
Sorry to read of all your trouble's! What a mess!
Contact Marcus! ASAP
Old 02-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #8

After reading all the complaints on the BBB in Chicago about Mark, and people getting $50.00 Camping World cards and a I am sorry letter, but we can't help you, we decided not to deal with him too. I believe he is part of the systematic incompetency at Camping World period!
Old 02-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Jane View Post
After reading all the complaints on the BBB in Chicago about Mark, and people getting $50.00 Camping World cards and a I am sorry letter, but we can't help you, we decided not to deal with him too. I believe he is part of the systematic incompetency at Camping World period!
OK , Simple......DON'T contact him and ask for help, Hire a Lawyer.File a law suite........$$$$
How about insurance? For the flooding? Does your policy cover that?
Old 02-08-2015, 04:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

What a nightmare. I wish you the best. Keep us posted.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #11

Write a letter to the help line at Trailer Life magazine. Tell them your story and I bet they can help
Old 02-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Can not help you with legal representation in AL... HOWEVER, I do agree Camping World may have been a mistake.. Some are good,, Some not, most in between.

Water alone is not enough to total it, but brackish water.. might be, Replacement of the floor may be all that's needed.
I will not let ANY Camping World touch my coach to do anything.

I shop there on rare occasions when I can't find the same items either on Amazon or other Internet places that usually are a hell of lot cheaper even WITH the Good Sam Club discount.

To the OP, get a good lawyer if you can afford one and take them to court but make sure you have photos and a thorough paper trail.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #13

UPDATE

Thank everyone with all the comments, we found an attorney that is going to take our case. I am looking forward to getting this resolved. Will keep this site updated on our outcome. It may take a while through the court systems.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #14

We were there that weekend for a Heartland Owners Rally and it rained the next day. Sure were glad we did not stay longer..I hope you reach a good conclusion to your situation.

Tags
need help