Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Guy
ARRRRGGGH... The CL Listing above expired, since it was near the end of the Posting period. Sorry for any inconvenience. Here's the Keystone Toy Hauler Website instead:

Keystone Toy Haulers
Yes Keystone has very nice toy haulers. I was just wondering if a toy hauler would be as good insulated as the rest if we would have to travel in colder weather? Would love to find some (semi-) full timers who use a toy hauler and hear about their experiences. It does give you a lot of extra space though.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland
In our stick house I like a soft mattress and my wife likes a hard mattress. So we replaced our mattress with two single mattresses that suit our fancy. The same top bedding is still used, but of course, the two small mattresses have single sheets on them.
What we discovered is that when one person gets out of bed it doesn't disturb the other person as the single mattresses tend to isolate the movement.
In the Netherlands were we originate from all 'two persons beds' as they are called translated, are double twins. There are mattresses in one piece but most people use 2 twin mattresses and most have their own duvet. My husband has a tick one because he's always cold and I have a summer one that is much thinner.

If all else fails we might need to do that as well. I know I will feel anxious, afraid to move or to get up out of fear of disturbing his sleep. I easily get up a couple of times a night. Suppose we find a nice 'new to us' trailer with a king bed where would you go to if you wanted to replace it with 2 twins? If you want to customize a car than there are plenty of shops you can go to, but there is no RV shop is there? Or would one approach a dealer for this? Sorry if this seems stupid questions, I just want to find out the best way to handle my special needs.

The 2 companies who specialize in RV customization for disabled rv'ers Horizon and Spacecraft do offer very nice units but waaaaaaaay over over budget. They both come close to a $110,000 for a mid sized 5th wheeler. Unfortunately that's out of the question for us, would be nice though just to order one of those be done with it and take off :-)

Thank you all for thinking with me, I already learned a lot from reading the forum!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #17

I thank you shod look at some bunkhouse model
Old 03-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A similar situation to consider: We went from a travel trailer to a Class A because of my DWs health issues that can keep her up a night. Our Class A allows the DH (me) to pack up and go in the morning while the DW is still sleeping away. The Class A is much easier for her to get in and out of,with her arthritic condition, than our large tow car. The ability to walk around and visit the ladies room are additional plus. - a F350 could be quite a climb to get in/out of if you have health issues. P.S. You can find good used Class A's from private owner's/sellers for about the same or less than used 5ers. Just a thought.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are quite a few places that specialize in RV "remodeling" or upgrades. While at a FMCA Rally, I got quotes on replacing the flooring in our RV from a shop in Southern California and one in Indiana. Both of them could do almost anything you could want done. There are also the same kind of shops in Oregon and Washington that I have spoken to.

We changed our mattress in the RV to a memory foam. You can't feel any movement when someone gets in or out of the bed.

Hope this helps.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #20

My wife and I lived in a 5th wheel and in about 1998 my wife's mother fell and became paralyzed from the hips down. We didn't feel it right to put her in a "home" so we took her in. The 5th wheel had three slides so both sides of the living area extended. We removed the sofa from the from the narrower slide (passenger side) and put a hospital bed there. This 5th wheel had a rear entertainment center so she had TV to watch. In the evening my wife and I would/could go to the bedroom and watch TV or read up there. (There were alot of issues that I don't need to discuss here) In that 5th wheel none of the furniture was anchored down - so if you look around enough I think you'll find one you can modify to meet your needs.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #21

Toy Hauler Insulation Reply

Dutchgrl ~ I'm an Alt. Energy/Solar/Insulation Geek who can speak a lil about what I've seen 1st person on Toy Haulers. It's not quite as good of info as what you asked for from Toy Hauler Owners, but here ya go...

Pretty much the standard Wall construction these days is a sandwich of some type, with the center being 1" of what we would call 'Styrofoam'; the trade name. The material name is Extruded PolyStyrene, a.k.a. EPS. It's about R-4 value per inch. WAY less than any modern House Insulation, but 'some' Insulation value. Regardless of what it's made of, the greater Wall/Ceiling surface area of a Toy Hauler means more volume to Heat/Cool than the usual [newer] TT which often has the same Insulation value of ~R-4. Noting the relative BTU ratings of the Furnace and A/C of any TT or Toy Hauler you look at should tell the story. A higher BTU Heater/Cooler will be installed if they're necessary, due to the greater Toy Hauler space volume to 'manage'.

BTW, my Adopted Family name is Van Tassell. A pal at a Dutch Trade Show I worked knew the history instantly. They were 'Van' [from] 'Texel'; one of the 5 small Islands N.W. of Amsterdam. The spelling was 'Anglicized' at Ellis Island in 1908 or so after they arrived from Hamburg. Texel is now a Bird/Nature Preserve, with only the original Houses/Buildings allowed. No new Construction, I'm told. I loved Amsterdam and touring the Country on Tech/Sales visits. The DW and I went there and stayed in 'Haarlem' after seeing it on 'Rick Steve's Europe' TV Program. Wonderful Country. 'If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much', as one joking Businessman from Philips told me while Flying back to the U.S....

Good luck on your 'special' Trailer search...
Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #22

I would consider, as someone has suggested, a travel trailer rather than a fifth wheel trailer. This company, Northwood Manufacturing, is one of the very good ones. Look at their website and see if any of their Arctic Fox models appeal to you. There are fifth wheels and travel trailers. In particular, the 29V model travel trailer seems like it might work for you, or the 29-5e fifth wheel but it's just my opinion. Hubby would have to make up his bed in the morning.
Northwood Manufacturing: Arctic Fox
Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Guy
Dutchgrl ~ I'm an Alt. Energy/Solar/Insulation Geek who can speak a lil about what I've seen 1st person on Toy Haulers. It's not quite as good of info as what you asked for from Toy Hauler Owners, but here ya go...

Pretty much the standard Wall construction these days is a sandwich of some type, with the center being 1" of what we would call 'Styrofoam'; the trade name. The material name is Extruded PolyStyrene, a.k.a. EPS. It's about R-4 value per inch. WAY less than any modern House Insulation, but 'some' Insulation value. Regardless of what it's made of, the greater Wall/Ceiling surface area of a Toy Hauler means more volume to Heat/Cool than the usual [newer] TT which often has the same Insulation value of ~R-4. Noting the relative BTU ratings of the Furnace and A/C of any TT or Toy Hauler you look at should tell the story. A higher BTU Heater/Cooler will be installed if they're necessary, due to the greater Toy Hauler space volume to 'manage'.

BTW, my Adopted Family name is Van Tassell. A pal at a Dutch Trade Show I worked knew the history instantly. They were 'Van' [from] 'Texel'; one of the 5 small Islands N.W. of Amsterdam. The spelling was 'Anglicized' at Ellis Island in 1908 or so after they arrived from Hamburg. Texel is now a Bird/Nature Preserve, with only the original Houses/Buildings allowed. No new Construction, I'm told. I loved Amsterdam and touring the Country on Tech/Sales visits. The DW and I went there and stayed in 'Haarlem' after seeing it on 'Rick Steve's Europe' TV Program. Wonderful Country. 'If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much', as one joking Businessman from Philips told me while Flying back to the U.S....

Good luck on your 'special' Trailer search...
So sorry for the late reply some kind of virus brought me down and had me in bed for 3 weeks.

You rely was very useful, we had been wondering about insulation and if they were any standards. Learning about home insulation for our own home was already an experience, of course European homes have different standard all being build from brick. So everything is basically a new learning curve for us.

It's so funny that you would say that Texel is NW of Amsterdam, no one ever in Holland would say such a thing, I really had to smile because it showed so clearly how Americans look different at distances! In Holland they would say Texel is an island, one of our biggest, on the top, North of the country. In Holland people really balk at having to drive approx 200 miles( the width and length of the country) to visit relatives. It would be much to far.:-)
But maybe you, or your friend, is confusing the islands because Texel is not a Bird/Nature Preserve, it is very much a tourist destination and the people who live there their source of income is hospitality and sheep. Ther is a very small island close to the German border, Borkum, that has been turned into a Preserve
There are 6 islands North of the Netherlands, starting from the West with Texel, Vlieland, Terschelling, Ameland(once my home town), Schiermonnikoog and Borkum. Texel can be reached by ferry from the province North Holland but the others you have to drive across the Afsluitdijk( Closed Off Dyke) to the province of Friesland and take those ferries.
Part of all the islands are some kind of Preservations but that is the case with all nature in the Netherlands unfortunately. Not much is open to the public anymore. Haarlem s a wonderful city to stay in, much prettier for tourists than Amsterdam I think.
Glad you liked and enjoyed my home country. Tell me, did you actually eat the raw Herring with onions? :-)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #24

Thanks to all of you who replied to my questions, you all gave us food for thought. We have spend the last few weeks doing research, visiting a local Portland dealer show and looked at a lot of used trailers to remodel into our liking and needs.

After much deliberation we had 2 trailers left a 2008 Coachmen Wyoming 39 ft that had a closed off rear living room that we could turn into a living/bed room for me if we would take my hospital bed with us. It would fit in a slide with no problem. My husband could than use the front bedroom and we would put in a full bed intend of a Queen giving him more space for his desk and he would still be able to use the kitchen because the rear living room had sliding glass doors. we would remove all the carpet(dust allergy) and put laminate throughout the trailer, no problem said our dealer. It was a really really nice trailer.

The only thing that made us decide to go for the other one was the patio.
As off today we are expecting the birth of our toy-hauler, the Open Range Rolling Thunder H345MPR
http://www.openrangerv.com/Rear-Garage/floorplans.aspx Delivery is due in 6 weeks!

We bought it with the patio so I can sit easily outside and do not have to go up and down the stairs to get something, plus our dogs can lie on the patio without having to be tied up and getting tangled( and me having to untangle them). It will be such a luxury for me to be able to do all that after being mostly bed and house bound for over 5 years now! The screen door can be open during the evening if we choose to sit inside watching tv.

I changed the colors of the kitchen cabinets to the same color of the drawers and the other wood decor. Wasn't too fond of the white. The rear is good insulated and air-conditioned and heated and it will be my husbands office and sleep area, the bed(a queen) comes down from the sealing. We will make it look less industrial and more manly, or is that just more of the same? :-)
Probably will put the dining set in storage and use that area for the dog beds and small folding computer tables for us to eat on or for me to work on my laptop and of course we will have our camping/patio chairs and table to have dinner outside.

I'm over the moon with it, the dealer educated us very well on the non hydraulic slides and we're confident it won't be a problem. They offer excellent warranty throughout North America through a network of dealers and that really put our mind at ease. They also offered my husband the opportunity to get driving lessons, learning how to park and back up etc. It looks gorgeous inside and out with a ton of luxury features.
It will takes 6 weeks before it will be here, just in time for summer! Can't wait!

Will post pics as soon as I have some.

Thanks again for all your warm welcome and help, will certainly keep posting and will probably have tons of clueless newbie questions!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #25

Look at wildcat 32qbb. Has bunks over kingpin and seperate bedroom in rear of coach with doors that close. Great looking unit and forest river is better quality than keystone. JMHO Jack
Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
Look at wildcat 32qbb. Has bunks over kingpin and seperate bedroom in rear of coach with doors that close. Great looking unit and forest river is better quality than keystone. JMHO Jack
Thanks Jack,
The Wildcat is indeed a great trailer, and we did look at it but choose the Open Range instead.

I'm not sure if your reply was aimed at me because we did no choose a Keystone or even looked at one. I found their toy-haulers too industrial for my taste.
The Rolling Thunder which we ordered is from the brand Open Range and that is not a sub-branch from Keystone.

Take care!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #27

Texel

Dutchgrl ~

Ah, I think my aging memory mixed up one of the Bird Preserve Islands with Texel. If I got it right, Texel was mainly a place of traditional Housing and Lifestyle, and thus attractive to Tourists.

We just drove ~275 miles yesterday between Houses, so - yes - our idea of distances are different. At the very famous Cheyenne WY Rodeo Days, I met several folks who drove in that 'morning' from their Ranches 8 hours away just for the weekend festivities. That's nothing to them... I guess this attitude is why I did all the driving for an older Sales Rep when we went from Munich to Amsterdam in one long day! Hats off to the Autobahn...

While watching a local Fire burn near a pal's Land a few years back here in W. CO, a Mennonite fellow in their distinctive clothing was talking what he later told me was 'sloppy' Dutch on his Cellphone. Informal Dutch w/slang. To my ear, there's no missing that 'throaty' sound on certain syllables. A Sect of hard-working Mennonites came to CO years ago, and Relatives keep setting up their younger Kin, and so on. We're buying our next pre-fab Shed from them because the construction quality/price/value is stunning.

So glad to hear your found the only RV that matters: the right one for you!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #28

Well, I'm sure there is one thing we all agree on- that you enjoy your travels and meet many new friends as you go. May God bless.