Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

Need help with Carriage Cameo information

We are shopping for a fifth wheel and are considering a couple of Carriage Cameos. I was directed by a couple of other forums to go to the Carriage Owners site. Problem is...you have to be an owner to use that forum. I tried...would not let me join if not an owner.

If there are any Carriage owners on this site, we surely could use your help! I have a question about the Cameo brochures. Very confusing...is the "approximate average load capacity" the cargo capacity?

In the brochures, the 2011 31KSLS (32' 4") has a capacity of nearly 3,700 while the 2009 36FWS (36'11") has a capacity of around 1,750! How can this be?? The trailer is much longer, and yet, the load capacity (if that means cargo capacity) is half what the smaller trailer has! How can this be??

Would someone please help with this question?? Thanks for your help in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #2

I don't know for sure, not knowing anything about these 2 models, but guessing, I would say they might both have the same axle/tire combo which would put their GVRW the same, and the smaller trailer would weigh less so it has a larger 'headroom' before it reaches that GVRW.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

Carriage Lifestyle Owners Club & Forum - Portal

try here for info.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
I don't know for sure, not knowing anything about these 2 models, but guessing, I would say they might both have the same axle/tire combo which would put their GVRW the same, and the smaller trailer would weigh less so it has a larger 'headroom' before it reaches that GVRW.
Thank you! Unless it was a type,tThat appears to be the case! I added all the dry weights and cargo weights for each of the models and they do come out to be about the same. 36fws is the heaviest (at 13,250, so it can't take as much cargo. What a shame!! Such a huge "house" that can't carry much!

2009 was the first year they made the full wall slide model. I guess they did not change the axles for this model that year.

In 2010, the cargo capacity increased by 1,000 lbs (2,749), so I would think that that would be a better rig.

However...I don't know how much people carry to live full-time for two retired folks with some hobbies....that would be good to know...an average weight that people generally carry for fulltiming.

I wrote the carriage forum, and they wrote me back saying that potential owners CAN join...just to set the record straight.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #5

We have a 2014 Lifestyle FWS (similar to Cameo)with 8000 lb axles, and less than 35 feet long. The cargo capacity, as stated on the outside sticker, is 4012. Lbs. The cargo capacity on some models may be less because of 6000-7000 lb axles. I know the tire size comes this configuration too, but the axle size on the rigs you are looking at could explain the difference in cargo capacity.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #6

Can the axle sizes be increased?
Old 05-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #7

The 8000 lb axles on my unit is considered an option raising the GVWR to 19,100 lbs. So 'almost' certainly you could upgrade the axles. Your tires would upgrade to an 'H' rating also. Have no idea if it is worth the cost though. You might try looking for a unit already with the 8000 lb axles.

rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help