Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #1

need help with electrical issue

My last trip I was plugged in at circus circus in Vegas. the temps were over 100 for 4 days, my AC ran non stop. when it was time to leave I discovered the head of my electrical cord was melted to the outlet. I had to pry it off it it became disfigured but was still intact. when I went to my next destination and when I plugged in there was a big pop. It blew the breaker on the unit I plugged into and now I have absolutly no power to my trailer. I replaced the head on the cord checked my breakers and do not know where the problem is. also every time I connect the battery it immediatly blows the fuse in line with the battery cable. What am I overlooking? or do you think I fried the power converter and need to replace it? any thoughts or suggestios on where to look or where to start and what steps to take would be greatly appreciated.

32' Jayco Eagle Fifth Wheel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You fried something which is always a risk when you do not use a Progressive Industries EMS device to protect your RV and then hookup to unknown power pedestals.

Start at the melted power plug and work back to and through the RV until you find the culprit.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 09-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #3

Yep, if you can get a meter to the "Main In " on your power converter you should show 120 Volts AC. If not the trouble is the power outlet from the park or the power cord. If it is 120 volts in to the converter then check the AC circut breakers and make sure none are thrown. If they are thrown, reset them and see what hapopens. If they are not thrown check for 120 volts AC at a couple AC outlets. If the outlet are not working if you hurry you might make an RV parts place before they close to get a new converter. Hope this is helpful.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re the melted plug.. Is yours a 30 amp RV?

I can not help you with the rest. I assume you have replaced the plug. Did you do it properly? (not all do, Story on another forum about that).

On the battery,, See if you can charge it using an external charger, make sure it is charged and try again, Make VERY SURE you have not hooked it up backwards. REmember BLACK ... Means nothing, might be either end of the battery, ONLY YOUR VOLT METER knows for sure, less you re-label the wires.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply's,
Yes the new head on my power cord is installed properly, I removed the cord from the trailer and spliced on a female end. I plugged that into my 30amp outlet at home and ran several power tools off of it so the cord is supplying power, I am ruling that out for now.

As for the battery it is basically new and is currently connected to a maintainer and holding a full charge. My black wire is clearly marked positive from the manufacturer and the black wire is also connected to the pos terminal on the converter.

I found my converter and discovered it has 2 30amp fuses, Neither looked blown however I replaced them both. Problem is my trailer is now back at storage facility and I do not have access to power.

My question now is can I remove the converter take it home and plug it in a wall outlet and then test the terminals with a volt meter???

My second question is: I realized the converter plugs into the breaker board which would mean that the power first goes to the breaker board and then to the converter would that be correct????

The breaker resets fine and cleanly snaps back and forth. I am guessing it may be worth while to try changing it out first before buying a new converter. or would I need to replace the whole board???

Just to recap, the trailer worked perfectly prior to melted plug head, the next time I tried to plug in is when everything went out. now absolutly nothing works. I have been RVing for 10 years and have always managed to figure out all the little gremlins that pop up but this electrical issue has got me stumped... I am determined to get to the bottom of it! Sorry for the long post, just kind of thinking out loud. please chime in with any other ideas or suggestions.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #6

I'm no exper but I think the power into the converter is 120 volts AC. Then to the AC circut breakers, then to to the various AC outlets and appliances. Think about it, did you ever have one circut interrupted by the breaker, everything else stayed on, right?

If I were in your situation I would do exactly what you said. Remove the converter, take it home, plug it in and test it. And if you hurry you can get it tested in time to get to the RV shop and buy a new one today. I'm just saying.....
But, If I were me I'd take my little genreator to the 5er and test it that way. Hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #7

Unhappy OH Boy

AS I have stated I am determined to find the problem and I just watched a Youtube Video that may have explained It. Let me explain further and lets see if one of you Professionals can elaborate.

As I explained I had the melted plug head and when I next plugged in everything blew on me. What I failed to mention was that my next stop was a relatives house that had an RV pad along side it. That relative had an electrician come out and run a 30 amp oulet for me to hook up to....
I am suspecting (now that I saw the Youtube video) that the electrician probably ran a 240 volt line not a 120v and that is probably the cause of my issues and the melted plug I had been focusing on is just a coincedence.

The Youtube Video says that even being hooked up for just a few seconds will have destroyed everything in my trailer....Is this true? wouldnt the breakers and fuses prevent this?

Assuming I did plug into a 240v outlet where should I start......I really hope all is not destroyed
Old 09-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You will have to check every device that uses 120 VAC power to see if it has been fried with the 240 VAC power.

Like you said it only takes a few seconds to destroy thousands of dollars worth of stuff.

A few hundred dollar investment (post #2) would have prevented that from happening.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #9

Quote:
You will have to check every device that uses 120 VAC power to see if it has been fried with the 240 VAC power.

Like you said it only takes a few seconds to destroy thousands of dollars worth of stuff.

A few hundred dollar investment (post #2) would have prevented that from happening.
Agree. If you can have your friend check to see if the outlet's wired 220v than at least you would know where to start and how potentially serious your situation is.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #10

I did that once with a cardinal. in fact it's eerie similar, my brother in law wired a circut out to the RV pad and he though I said 240 vlots when I said 50 amps. I don't think I replaced anything but the converter/charger. It's been like 10 years ago but I think that's all I needed.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
GBS

Generally you have two different electrical systems running in an RV. The main line splits, with part going to the converter that runs all the 12 volt items (and battery charger) and part going directly to the 120 volt items and wall receptacles. On mine, the 12 volt items include all lights, slides, awning, water pump, the battery charger, range light and fan, bathroom fan and the entertainment system. AC, microwave and TV are all using 120 v. So, first make sure that everything is really dead. Easiest as noted is to plug something into your wall outlet inside the trailer and see if it works.
Generally, anything that was turned on at all (even in standby mode - like the TV for it's "instant on" feature) is probably fried from the 240 volt. If the item was completely off (microwave, AC) then it likely has survived.
If the wall outlets don't work, then double check for a main fuse/breaker protecting that side of the circuit. MAYBE that protected the other items....
It is almost 100% that your converter/charger is blown - which would explain the issues with both battery charging and none of the 12 volt items working. Count on having to completely replace it. When you are digging into the system and figuring out how to remove it, inspect ALL the wiring, especially connections. This includes inside wiring boxes in all other locations in the trailer. That added voltage may have melted two connections together somewhere else, causing an ongoing short that is the current source of the in-line fuse to the battery blowing.
It may be much more prudent for you to send this out to the dealer for their work, as they will have electricians, etc. they work with to make sure this is all safe. Unless you are really handy, this could be a very big project, with the risk that you could miss something that will result in shocks or a fire in the future.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
You maybe lucky with quite a lot of things so worth checking, just about everything these days uses a switch mode power supply that is happy with 100 - 240v, as it's just you funny lot that use 120, the rest of the world uses 240 (and is why I have 3 electricity systems in my RV 12, 120 and 240, 3 times the fun!).

Tags
electrical, need help