Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #15

Wow- 1st coat dried semi-gloss smooth completely covering and hiding the plastic screening. The patch looks like someone 'molded' it onto my tank. Brushed it again - cleaned it with more solvent- put on another coat....

Just might work

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #16

Put a third coat on last night- crawled under there this morning to take your basic crummy cell phone pic: But (Duh....) can't seem to somehow past-in or insert a marked-up PDF photo ....

Anyway, the repair is smooth, molded to the tank, and looks like a pro did it... (not because anything I really did... )

Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #17

I am glad it worked out for you. I Had used some epoxy on a drain ant is seems to be good - I will try this next time.
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #18

Thanks- the proof in the 'pudding' will be when my better half comes down early next week and takes a shower while I watch (the tank) from below...
Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderinf350 View Post
Thanks- the proof in the 'pudding' will be when my better half comes down early next week and takes a shower while I watch (the tank) from below...
Sounds kinky. I think the real test will be driving a bumpy road with a tankful of liquid.

Good luck with it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #20

BFlinn181- Yeah that's what happens when living away- alone... But seriously, you are correct. The tank is mounted somehow not 'strapped-in' (tank suppliers have noted to me that it SHOULD be - but not req'd- and most manufacturers do not). So if successful with the leak repair, I believe I need to look at some kinda strapping or support. I still believe this was a 'fatigue' type crack due to flexing over the years.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Seriously, I'd suggest not moving it loaded with much weight. Putting strapping or supports under it now might put new stress on it and crack your repair or create a new leak.

One idea might be to carry an inexpensive pump (like a $4 electric drill pump that hooks to garden hose.) to transfer gray water into black tank for transit if you can't empty it. Problem with that is, unless you've got separate drains for each tank, it would be a plumbing challenge to hook it up that way. The tanks are designed for draining, not transfer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #22

BFlinn- Good Advice. I will have to 'feel' this one out- after the shower test of course.

Have a good feeling already about the repair. The Plasti-mend seems to be of very similar material to the original ABS plastic of the tank. I built-up at least two layers of reinforced gooey stuff- and then a final layer- all integral and apparently seemless. The saga will continue next week.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #23

Tank passed the 'Shower Test' - filled it and let it sat with no leaks. Hmmm... The view from below was good... the full tank had a normal looking 'sag' to it which seems to indicate it needs better support.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #24

Great. There is always satisfacation is getting something done. Good Job.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #25

THANKS mwells;

The biggest challenge was just trying to figure out where to start. This forum was DEFINITELY of help and many thanks to all the contributors.

Now I'm looking at the gas portion hot water heating situation- The gas burner DID work prior to this issue (over 2 months ago?). I took my first shower in 2 months on only electric this morning (and the hot ran out fast).

Isn't always something?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #26

I have been working on my hot water heater. The PO let it freeze and burst. Had the tank repaired then the thermocouple/pilot (safety shutoff) quit. Ordered new one and it worked great for a little while. Then the thernostat went out. I will order that and everything should be good - I hope

Tags
leaks, water