Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #1

Need help with grey water leaks @ Santee Lakes, CA

Hello good people- It's been a long time since I last posted.

My Brother-in-law finally moved out of my 2000 Jayco Eagle 325 BHS 34' fiver (after TWO years) and now it's MINE again! I'm at the Santee Lakes RV park near San Diego doing 80% time living in the fiver and working in SD. This is a great park- I'm booked for the next 6-months (but that's another story).

I have what may be grey water leaking from the under-belly rubberized fabric of the fiver under the shower area. Seems that it has been seeping and leaking for awhile and getting worse. So now when I drain the grey water tank after a few showers, not much comes out. The Park advised me yesterday that the 'Camp Host' noticed it leaking.

So since I am not as spry as I once was, working under the RV there on my back is quite daunting (let alone painful). So I am looking for some help. Calling (Park approved vendor) mobile services reveals limited interest in grey water repair- one said: "... I don't do grey water..." Camping World in San Marcos might work, but they say if the tank needs replacement, it could be 3-weeks to receive the parts.

Any suggestions or local experience with this sort of thing?

Many thanks in advance,

Duncan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Check the shower drain first. They can work loose from movement of the shower floor. You might have an access panel at the shower base to view if leaking.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
If I were you, solidly set up for 6 months and not wanting to get under the rig, I would hire a local handyman (you know, one of those $20 an hour cash guys) to open up the area directly underneath the leak so you can see exactly what the problem is, i.e., where the water is coming from. In one or two hours, you will know what's going on.

It's most likely a simple plumbing problem, like a cracked or loose fitting or joint. And there are products out there to repair cracked or punctured tanks as well. You'll save a bunch of bucks by hiring people yourself, rather than having a mobile unit from CW. On the other hand, if you have a lot of bucks, there will be someone willing to work on it.... Best of luck.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Check the shower drain first. They can work loose from movement of the shower floor. You might have an access panel at the shower base to view if leaking.
X2 on checking the shower drain first.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #5

There is a mobile service guy I hear is quite good and located in Lakeside. It is Warford's RV. His number is 619 443 0004. He is honest and reliable and only 15 minutes away.
Chemtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #6

Hello again Good People and thanks for your replies...

UPDATE: Rob (Warford's RV) opened up the underbelly a bit to show that the grey tank has a 6" crack in it. So $105 later he offered to patch or repair the 40 gal ABS 'rectangular box' tank. Since the crack is along one bottom edge of the rectangular box, patching it does not look good for any patch on the 12 year old tank will be under constant tension. I am looking into having the tank replaced.

My theory is that the tank became at least partially plugged ('cause it never seemed to drain completely). So driving around with a partially full tank finally ruptured it. This I believe 'cause I finally managed a 'reverse flush' with one of those gate valve gizmos, which seemed to unplug it. Shoulda Coulda done that earlier- Live in an RV and learn (I guess).
Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #7

Talking with my brother-in-law, he does not believe my "Theory" holds water
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Seems to be a properly designed tank should be strong enough to be full and not rupture. I think your tank had a casting flaw or was not properly supported. I've read a number of times of tanks being installed with plastic scraps from drilling for drains and plumbing being left in them that can partially block drains as the scraps slosh around.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If a plastic tank, a patch will probably be stronger than the original as long as it's done correctly...

I would let him do the repair and see how it does....

if he'll give you a warranty on his work (which he should) it's a no brainer as plastic patches are chemical patches that work well...

Is it possible 'someone' impacted the tank enough to damage it as opposed to just splitting on it's own !?!
And does the Bro-in-law feel any guilt to help with the repair ?
Old 10-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #10

Another Update:

Took the fiver to Camping World (San Marcos) to have them look at the situation. Huge impressive looking shop with multiple bays. Their $450-500 phone estimate to replace the tank now turned into $750+shipping. Shipping could be a couple of 'C' notes they said.

Now looking for that Brother-in-Law...

TBC
Old 10-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #11

In response to JohnBoyToo, no, the fiver was not hit by anything.

The location of the crack in the tank appears to suggest that it is a 'fatigue' type crack due to loading and unloading of the flat bottomed boxy ABS type tank. I might try patching but if I can sucker that BIL into laying on his back for awhile, finding a replacement on ebay, replacement might be better.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #12

Plasti-mend ???

Anyone used this Plasti-Mend stuff? Looks like $36.50 thru Amazon. Got good reviews on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Plasti-Mend ABS Plastic Repair Kit for ABS Plastic Holding Tank Repair

Maybe a bit less if direct (depends on shipping?) :

https://plasti-mend.com/cart/index.p...tegory&path=59
Old 11-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #13

Got the Plasti-mend stuff direct from the supplier and put on the first coat last night after extensive preparation with a fine wire brush and solvents, wearing latex gloves, a vapor mask (and on my back). Drilled a small hole at each end of the 8" crack. It's a black gooey foul smelling stuff. Came with explicit instructions. Tank should be completely dry. Repair seems to be like taping dry-wall: smear it on the prepared surface and then put some plastic screening on the still wet gooey stuff- and then brush-on some more gooey stuff. It says to put on several coats. Will do another tonight.

It's amazing how improved one's bad back can get after seeing a $1200 repair estimate.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderinf350 View Post
It's amazing how improved one's bad back can get after seeing a $1200 repair estimate.
X2!

Bob & Donna

Tags
leaks, water